Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Great signing, seems to have a great attitude and desire to represent Connacht. Perfect age profile to compliment the Murray’s and dowling along with Thornbury. Would probably see josh murphy exclusively in back row from 2023 onwards, so you’re finally looking at real quality depth at 4,5 and 6. If SHL, Booth and Mccormack can all slot in at the required level and boyle can get back to his best, you’re starting to see a back five of the pack that should be competitive in every game no matter how much rotation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

This is exactly the kind of signing that Connacht need. Someone who is probably unlucky not to have a few English caps. Big tough brut of a second row. Pity we have to wait a year to see him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

He'll hardly be known as "Big Joe Joyce" ? 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

Great article on some of Predergasts stats for the season and how he compares to some other players on the tour https://www.rugbyworld.com/countries/ireland-countries/the-rapid-rise-of-cian-prendergast-143279

Mack out with covid. Herring and Henderson needing scans. Heffernan to be on the bench for tests? Potential call up for Thornbury or Murray?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Both looking like they're having a lot of fun on their hols looking at Instagram

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭AccidentallyOnside

I see Marmion is holidaying in South East Asia.....convenient that

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

I read on the AIL thread that Oisín Michel (LH) & Daniel Hawkshaw (centre) are joining the Connacht Academy. Note also that Eddie O'Sullivan's has been appointed head coach at Buccs:

https://www.the42.ie/eddie-osullivan-buccaneers-head-coach-5796946-Jun2022/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Michel was confirmed a while back, Hawkshaw has been strongly rumoured. I think we might be bringing in Shane Mallon also, Matthew Devine if he wasn't added midway through the season just finished, and I expect a couple of u19s (probably Harry West for one anyway).

Over on BB I read that academy offers were made to West and John Devine.

Looking at the article about John Ryan in the 42, I wonder did Connacht make a play for him? He could have been an asset while we develop Illo. I recall that last year an effort was made to recruit Cronin at LH but it was reported that he took the better money on offer in France. Would Wasps have been offering much more than what would be available to us given the lowered salary cap in the Prem?

• Advertisement

Brive and Newcastle in the Challenge Cup.

Been a few years since I've travelled for an away European match, think it was Wasps.

Newcastle could be good fun in December or January

Big Papa and Sammy Arnold hopefully get to play us.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

French teams especially in the challenge cup use these games to up their French qualified players playing numbers, for Jiff rules

but it would be cool in a way to face them

Great honour for Bundee to captain Ireland against the Maori tomorrow, he'll be jacked to the max. I expect him to do something noteworthy, hopefully a try or crucial jackal turnover, but please don't let it be a card!

Post edited by Zeugnis on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭testtech05

Peter Robb has signed for Ealing Trailfinders, hopefully it goes well for him and he can get a run without injuries over there!

That's great, maybe he'll get to play with them in the Prem, provided the ridiculous and unfair exclusion based on their ground capacity can be overcome. All the best to him.

No word on a tight head at all? Watching Ireland struggle with 3 choices at loosehead over a 5 game series should be alarm bells that three tight heads isn’t enough for a full season (hope they didn’t need that alarm)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

There's Bealham, Aungier and Illo! Three tight heads.

Three isn't remotely close to enough. Bealham will presumably miss a few games at the start of the season, so straight away we have no redundancy. Really frustrating that for a second year in a row we are seemingly scrambling to find a prop long after every other team has their business concluded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Bealham out at start of season and you need 4 at a very minimum and 5 at least to allow for injuries and to give players rest/weekends off...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

This is why Tuimauga just retracted from Colomiers!

Well not exactly as he said he wanted to stay in N-Z with his family, but he could come back over again in November who knows!

I'm sure we'll get someone in at Th.

It's a buyers market at the moment so even if we don't have anyone signed up yet if we have budget we'll get someone in.

Doubt we'll get anyone of international quality but someone with a good number of caps at top club level should be doable.

Conor Carey must be an option you'd think.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

Surely hookers more of a concern? Heffernan likely to be given time off after NZ tour and delahunt out until Christmas leaves DTM as the only senior hooker?

Where have you seen that? Was announced when he got injured that he was out for the rest of the season, haven't seen any updates since.

jesus that’s a bad one if true about delahunt.

I mentioned Hooker earlier in the year as being a spot needed to be added to and now it looks very bare. Add in that Bealham will be rested more and away with ireland we are very tight at TH too. Even for training purposes the front row will be under pressure.

We have two hookers in the academy so you'd imagine they can expect to see some game time. I can't imagine us signing another one tbh.

Th is different; illo is basically an academy prop and we've released drmc, Mcgrath and Tietie so we're down big numbers there.

Illo is expected to be third choice th and has shown more promise than either hooker at adult rugby. Gonna be looking at both DTM and de buitlear as first and second choice hookers for connacht come the start of the season

• Advertisement

de buitlear only academy hooker and dtm unless another is added this summer

Advertisement