Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion - 2024 All Ireland Hurling Champions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

He's the best of the established refs in my opinion, Sean Stack looks very good but for obvious reasons couldn't be considered for Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭dohboy

Clare footballers had a fine year and should be proud of themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

So any word on the hurling team for Saturday ?

Big decision in the full back line between Hayes and Nolan.

I imagine we won't see too many other changes, maybe Aidan McCarthy in the match day squad. Probably Shanagher again kept in reserve to come on late in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,746 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Context needed behind that

Lost 3/3 in the league and then lost relegation match (making it 4/4 losses) and are down to Division 3 next year

In the Championship they were in a group of 3 teams with 2 to qualify - Beat an atrocious Down team (who's manager has left now) and lost to Louth

Beat Longford in the 1/4 final then

Essentially they've won 2 games this year out of 7. Doesn't sound as good in that sense. Good luck to them against Laois though. Will be underdogs, so will be tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

I'd seriously consider starting Rodgers or Shanagher ahead of Duggan. Duggan isn't contributing enough. People are saying he's holding up the ball..yeah he is. He's killing the flow and scoring zero. He might cut loose I guess but I won't hold my breath. He suits Lawlor down to a tee whereas a Rodgers offers something more. Id play Meehan ahead of '2 point' Galvin aswell. Galvin is a good sub to bring on ...for his 2 points.

It ll be interesting to see the Crowd. Probably 20,000 from Clare and 15 from Kilkenny and another 5 ,000. There ll be 40,000. Probably 50,000 at the Limerick match. 35,000 from Limerick.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Some fair points.

Galvin is good for the odd goal too though. and his two points in first half v Wexford kept us in it a bit.

Duggan probably keeps his place for his free taking alone.

I actually had assumed a bigger crowd on Saturday than Sunday. We shall see.

Limerick bring a massive following..remember 2013 . Clare outnumbered 4 to 1 same as 95 munster final. How did you think Clare and Kilkenny would bring more than Limerick...? Guess Galway are brutal support but they are having a good summer.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Figerty

Not a chance duggan will be dropped. He's doing far more than is given credit for. Have a look at the Tony Kelly point where he rolled of the ground. Duggan broke that ball. We need him there for that work rate alone

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Niallers87

Any idea who the late fitness tests are for?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭letowski

If rumours are to be believed, John Conlon hasn't trained at all since to Wexford match. So possibly him.

Hayes down to start according to the teamsheet. Not surprised tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Niallers87

Big loss if hes out, presume Aaron Fitz comes in as a direct replacement if thats the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Kelly hasn't done much since the Limerick game either , his ankle is acting up again , he done nothing in training in the two weeks after the Munster final, I am led to believe he hasn't much done since either

I said the same for the Wexford game about duggan, as the games got tougher his impact became less effective, however we need him on frees tomorrow, TJ will miss nothing so we need someone to keep our side of things ticking over

If we allow Kilkenny that sort of lead and momentum like we did in the first 25 minutes the last day we will be in huge huge trouble

It's going to be a tough enough game anyway so maybe these types of changes can wait until next season

Possibly yes. Although when Diarmuid Ryan went off injured against Limerick Malone went to half back. But those rumours are probably second or third hand, they could be completely wrong as very little gets outside the Clare camp. WSH might be right about Kelly too.

Most of them injuries are precautionary nothing major really , it's a bit of an insult to Wexford to say Kellys ankle was the reason he was so quiet the last day

Shane reck took him out of the game completely as did Conor devitt on Ryan Taylor

Kilkenny will try and do the same, so it's our job to match up right, Flanagan on Cody and probably Malone on mullan given his man marking stats from play

Huge discipline is required with TJ in town , keeping cleary cardless is huge too , once he was carded the last day, he couldn't nudge push or pull his man in case of being sent off and it opened us up at the back

A lot of us football people back west are still trying to come to terms with last week

Last week was not good enough on so many different levels, between tactics and on field know how we looked lost and that isn't good enough

Put it down to a once off , really good year that win over Roscommon was fantastic, they are a fine side , hopefully Collins stays on again but what I hear is he is thinking of taking a break

A pity about the footballers but even those of us with only a passing interest can see they are limited. Like I said rugby is my second game but Clare footballers play a slow slow type of game. I suppose they have to. They did let themselves down with their ineptitude in croker but no one expected much more. The hurlers are a way more athletic ,skillfully sound , bigger panel ect. 2 totally different sports anyway

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭chubba1984

This is a totally unfair comment. While the performance was poor, to say nobody expected much more than ineptitude is so exceptionally insulting and grossly unfair to a team who have been in the top half of teams in the county for a number of years now. I, and the many other Clare football supporters who were there, went to Croke Park hoping to cheer on a Clare win which wasn't beyond the capabilities of the players to deliver - they just didn't reach their own standards on the day.

I didnt mean to insult the gaelic footballers. The hurlers are worse. They are a complete shambles. Terrible passing...getting dispossessed all the time. Its horrifying

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭17togo

I'd put the majority of the blame there on Lohan! Think he got caught up in the 'we can beat kilkenny' approach instead of playing the way they've played for most of the year. When they went back to that for a period in the second half they put a few scores together. Game was over before half time. Can't blame lohan for the shocking wides though, but that's a confidence thing from the beating they were already taking.

Future is still bright though..... They should learn from this battering!

• Advertisement

Rumours I heard is this year the Clare panel was going all out to win Munster. Their season was based on winning a match a month ago, which ye very nearly did. Always hard to peak twice in so short a period of time.

That said, the management have done huge work to get Clare hurling back on track, ye'll come on from here.

Sorry that management have alot of questions to answer after today. They've got plenty of well deserved praise after their Munster campaign. We aren't a patch on Limerick..we put the house on the Munster final but we aren't at the required level.

Cleary and Malone ,Paidi Fitz..they just don't have the ability needed at this level. Getting dispossessed all the time. Just greenhorn type stuff. And the decision making was shocking. Just a brainless gameplan ontop of a Kilkenny being efficient and clever and unselfish. We are still a selfish team..How many times do Fitzgerald and Kelly have chances to pass to a colleague and they don't bother.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

the first half was probably the worst i have seen from a clare team in nearly 30 years only the defeat to tipperary in 93 was worse

spot on on management , to start with paudi fitz should never have been an option , bad and all arron fitz can be at times atleast he brings a fight to the table , which he done when he came on , the two corner forwards were terrible reidy and galvin , yes i said yesterday that it was too late in the year to make radical changes , but rodgers and meehan are far better options and surly showing that in training

not once in the first half did the ball stick for us , duggans timing is miles off and leaving kelly on frees for the 3rd week in a row when he is clearly not a free taker is plain stupid

everything good lohan done all year came undone in the first 20 minutes today ,

watching lohans interview with the local press after the game in thurles 4 weeks ago , he pretty much backed up that claim , everything was geared towards Munster , the advantage is with the team that wins the province and it should be , they get the time to recover , to get up to speed and that one less game ,

in truth this has been a bit unexpected this year , no one was expecting such a good run in munster nor even the final and how close it was so , plenty of positives going forward , but as you know , after a day like today its hard to feel positive at the moment 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Davys Fits

Clare have 4 or 5 players that Cody would never consider for his squad. They simply haven't got the hurling ability for this level. Credit to Clare who have always been industrious in transforming marginal players into hurlers but with days like yesterday there is no hiding the cracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

The cracks were there guys and im not having a go at you on Clare forum. Firstly Cork played terrible against Clare and Clare were the better team but they left a 12 point lead almost slip and Cork lost by 2 points. That was the 1st worry I had about this Clare team. They did outstanding against both Waterford and Limerick but possibly missed out by not going for the juggler when they had the opportunity. Wexford left a massive lead slip too and really if Wexford tactically could step up and properly manage the game, Clare were beaten. Kilkenny showed those cracks up and Kilkenny will not give you handy goals. I was expecting Clare to blow Kilkenny away but it was so strange not seeing it.

They had their chance but I don't think they were the 2nd best team in Ireland like what alot of posters on here said they were and pundits alike. I think it's Kilkennys All Ireland to lose. Limerick will dread playing Kilkenny and Cody will find a way to beat them. No disrespect to Galway but they will come up short against Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,424 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

The clare puckout was 50/50 but we allowed kilkenny almost 100% possession on their puckout. That alone gifted kilkenny a massive advantage

Limerick won't dread playing Kilkenny if they get to the final. Not a chance . Limerick have a different mentality entirely. It would be a humdinger. Limerick as a county have a collective memory of the Mackey 1930s era when they went toe to toe with Kilkenny and came out top ,mostly. They don't see themselves the same as a Clare or Wexford or Galway ...They see themselves as like the big 3 but without the titles to match. It's a strange one but they'd have a right physical battle with Kilkenny. Clare outside of McInerney and a few more didn't engage yesterday at all.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

Soul destroying day in Croke Park yesterday. Infairness one could write a book about everything that went wrong yesterday; the frees, wides, starting Paidi Fitz, Kelly on frees, etc, etc. It was a complete capitulation.

The only point I’ll make regarding the performance is that I don’t think we can appreciate how the past 4 weeks took an awful toll on the players. The team we saw in Thurles in the Munster final, was a ravenous, energetic, physical, hardworking team that gave the best team of this generation a great game. The Clare team yesterday was unrecognisable, everything they did yesterday was laboured and they looked like a team that was both mentally and physically shot, running on empty. They also looked completely unprepared for their opponent.

Its been a very tough 4 weeks. Clare had two two week breaks between two extremely intense games, I doubt Clare were able to have even one hard training session or really any thorough preparation for their opponent since the Limerick game. Kilkenny on the other hand, had a 4 week break to rest, recuperate, analyse and prepare, we know Cody is the master of that.

Before the weekend I would have said that this had already been a good year for Clare. Getting to both a Munster and All Ireland final. But yesterday has really just dampened everything. It’s a tough one to take. Just to finish, I hope John Conlon’s injury isn’t too serious and he’ll be ok. If we don’t see him in saffron and blue again, he has been an outstanding servant to Clare hurling and it was a real pity he wasn’t on the field yesterday.

• Advertisement

We all have to sit back and ask Lohan some questions. I'm Lohans biggest supporter but Davy wouldn't have set up so disastrously yesterday. Paidi Fitz is not and has never been at this level. Cathal Malones dramatic loss of form has not been addressed either. He was terrible. Leaving Kelly on for 70 mins when he was on one leg. That was a disaster. Iv questioned Duggan all year. He offers nothing at full forward,ditto Galvin, a luxury player who got cleaned out and on his best days isnt as industrious as Meehan ir Rodgers . We had one substitute on before half time yesterday.

I hope the goodwill shown to Lohan doesn't hide or attempt to gloss over the mistakes and non performance of yesterday. Did he do an interview?

Conlons loss was incalculable. He's the only leader on the whole team. He's more important than Hannon is for Limerick.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

Advertisement