Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Softening house market?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭drogon.

Well you get feck all support if your income is in those range. Hence per the government you would be classed as such.

The average salary in Ireland is 50K, and the median income would be even lower at around 30K. So don't be under the impression everyone is earning 100K or more !

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

I disagree about your pricing assumption tbh. That implies most homes are in the 700k range. There are plenty of homes in the 350-500k range. Still needs a combined salary of circa 100k though.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭squigglestrebor

You dont think similar is coming here. House prices will be dropping , just cos you dont want them to doesnt make it the case. The stats are the stats but those stats DO NOT mean house prices wont be falling.

Its actually such a ridiculous statement , 150k is saving a very tidy 2k a month for just over 6 years. Nutter , standard boards income/money liar. Not well off haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭tigger123

What makes you so certain that prices will be dropping?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Yeah I'm not saying it's impossible, I'm saying anyone with more than 150k in the bank is well off.

If that were me I'd forget about this housing crap, pack in my job for a year and travel the world.

No jaysis i was agreeing with you haha. Your man saying thats not well off is a nutter.

They will fall. Question is now far do they call before the supply / demand imbalance puts a floor on the price. I don’t think they’ll fall that they’ll fall much further than the 10/15% that people are talking about. And that only puts us in 2020 territory.

central bank rules have meant that leverage and stressed affordability is better this time around than last

Interest rates rising , ours and global economy shagged more day by day. It is 100% they will fall , by how much , nobody knows.

Oh sorry my apologies fair enough , i must have read you up wrong , you dont think theyll crash, yeah thats fair , ive a feeling we are looking at 25/30% but fair enough on your view.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

When is important along with how much. The prices droping and interest rates going up doesn't mean it will be actually cheaper to buy and could be much worse. You certainly can't be sure they will drop as you claim and the calculations of inflation may confuse the issue. The cost of construction may shoot up. The cost of construction may rise permanently so they may seriously effect housing cost,size and quality. You may want cheaper housing but it is no way certain it will happen. The time frame of when/if prices drop is very important

Do not forget the people who were in negative equity and the people who laughed because they "knew" the prices would drop. As time went on those who stuck it out are in the better situation

The prices are going to drop. I will bet you 10k they will drop before 2023. I couldnt care less if they drop , except for to win this 10k.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

It all depends on a lot of factors. I cant see them dropping in the short term due to the supply vs demand heavily swaying on the demand side and buying vs renting with it being cheaper to buy than rent. People said they would drop with Brexit, then covid and the Ukraine and guess what it hasn't happened yet in fact they have gone the other way I called it back when Brexit was happening on boards that the supply vs demand doesn't stack up for property price drops and I was ridiculed for it, I repeated this point when Covid hit and once again the "we are in for a 50% property price drop in the next 6 month" brigade ridiculed me again and guess what they went up even further, now we are dealing with a war and the onset effects of covid with supply chain issues, hyper inflation and interest rate rises yet I cant see them dropping under the current position the country finds itself in with regards to the 2 areas I mentioned above. At the end of the day people need somewhere to live you cant get around that fact. Small landlords have more or less ran for the hills so the majority of rentals are from REITS and vultures, the investment properties were fire sold after the 08 crash, people who lived in their homes were more or less protected - there were not many family homes repossessed, this time around we are dealing with corporate landlords in the main will they sell in bulk or will they look at our very favorable, government backed rental returns and think with all this uncertainty better to stay with what we have. I cant speak for them but if I had a rental property I would give it to the government to get the guaranteed rents off them for anywhere up to the next 25 years - as to me its a complete no brainer. By the way any looking to buy or sell dont take mine or anyone elses word for it as no one knows whats going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭DFB-D

Same as last recession really, they came here for work & not to stay. Why stay here with very high costs of living, etc...

I really don't see why there is resistance to the idea that property prices will do down, haven't they done so frequently in the past?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭DFB-D

The rental ask prices are definitely not sustainable.

I saw a small 1950s 3 bed semi in not such a nice area (not bad either) looking for 3500 a month.

Crazy....

Certainly interesting times ahead, rental prices have been crazy for a while. Now you add increased fuel, energy and general cost of living. Something has to give, but who knows when.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

Speak of the devil and he shall appear. I think we know what that something is and it has the body of a golden goose with the head of a lizard. What I am referring to is Big Tech MNCs in Ireland and the "something" that will give will come from hiring freezes as well as job losses.

Meta (Facebook) have now issued an employee warning that growth in headcount will definitely be reduced and job losses are also being anticipated.

Refugees and Indian/South American students won't be flown in to pay €2k+ pm rent to prop up the rental market should we see a stalling in new hires or some job losses of well paid tech workers which will come at a juncture of new BTR developments coming on stream, having been delayed during covid but now all coming along like buses.

"If I had to bet, I'd say this might be one of the worst downturns that we've seen in recent history," Zuckerberg said during a weekly meeting with employees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

I can see a bit of a softing off in dublin and surrounding counties sooner than other parts of the country. Census has shown a notable increase in population of in the likes of county cork so still a lot of demand there

The hybrid work model is going to impact housing prices in other counties. Recently i was specking to 2 fella mid to late 20s from north tipp. Both have well paid dublin officed jobs (non tec sector)Both moved home during coivd and havent returned. 1 is 2 days a week in dublin so stays with girlfriend 1 night in dublin. The other only needs to be in thr office 1 day a week and may have to travel to a location around the country a few times a month. Both said it while its a pain nothing available to rent in north tipp they are saving loads. They will have substantial deposits when they go to buy or build. Only thing is v few new builds in recent years in tipperary unless you get/buy a site so the likes of these 2 will keep prices up.

Also ive seen reports the last few weeks numerous reports of construction companies going bust in the state of Victoria. Wonder will many irish come home now shite is hitting the fan over there

• Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

A good point about houses that need renovation. I reckon that many of them will fall in price as

1) Building costs go way up

2) New builds start hitting the market in greater numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭you2008

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,993 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Facebook is losing popularity. he's going to try associate that with world events and not an issue with Facebook itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Shauna677

As the experts said before the last crash...The fundamentals are sound!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

its nothing to do with resistance I just dont see any change going forward as I say we have just gone through 3 really harsh situations with regards to Brexit Covid and Ukraine. The recession is going to be global. I have outlined my reasons and the 2 key areas are supply and demand and our population if either of these shift they will go down but up until now it has not happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,405 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Indeed. It must be haemorrhaging users. I still have a profile that I never use or look at.

He sounds like a right wanker to work for also. Sounds desperate to get rid of staff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

Changing the brand to Meta is an admission that the business model to date is finished so they are pivoting essentially and there are no guarantees now that they won't collapse entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,392 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

A report by estate agents.

Luckily those fellas wouldn't have an oul' vested interest in keeping the market hyped up..........................

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

So many "experts"

So much rubbish.

The actual price is not the most important aspect of buying a house. It is the interest rate that matters most. Then it's the house price

Currently you can fix for 25-30 years with Avant for 2.5-2.95% depending on LTV.

Let's say a 445k house. 90% LTV, 400k mortgage.

On a 30 year fixed this is €1665. If you move house the fixed rate is transferrable.

If you didn't fix, my guess is your average rate over the next 30 years will be 4.5%. Over the term of the mortgage this equates to €130,000 additional payment.

So whilst you can get these low long term fixed rates, take them and give yourself a buffer. Even if prices dropped 20%, you'd be winning and not paying rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

In other news, "no Christmas this year", according to National Turkey Society.

"The actual price is not the most important aspect of buying a house. It is the interest rate that matters most. Then it's the house price"

While true, I think the most important aspect of buying a house is how much the bank will lend to you !

In your example, the couple should be earning €127K cumulatively, to afford a house of €445K.

So the couple should be on €63K each to afford that house, but here is the thing.. the average income is only about €45K, while the median income is even lower. Sure people have savings, but inflation will slowly eat into that as heating, fuel, food becomes expensive.

So basically housing is out of reach for the average Joe, hence I believe something will have to give eventually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭AySeeDoubleYeh

The only people who believe house price isn't the #1 most important thing are those that already own a home, or those who have (for whatever reason) large deposits saved.

For the vast majority of the population, the price determines what you can borrow and therefore what is available to you. And anyone who can afford to rent in this country can afford the mortgage repayments on 3.5x, even accounting for the rise in interest rates.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement