Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drunken neighbour

Comments

If you want to be the Good Samaritan who goes around resolving other people's problems for them, that's your choice.

I wouldn't take any responsibility on myself for resolving this man's problem's - psychological or otherwise.

And equally you shouldn't be shaming anyone else who doesn't want to get involved in sorting out complete stranger's lives for them.

OP, at best,ring 999 and then next day report to the Agency - and report it every single time. But take no more on yourself. This man is not your responsiblity to take care of when he gets himself in a state.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Poiuy_b

I signed up for a place to rent, not having to deal with a drunk. I have no problem helping someone and he already mentioned having heart problems, so I couldn't leave him on the floor. But then it's his own doing and I don't want to deal with him at all. If he was my partner, I wouldn't put up with it either.

• Administrators Posts: 14,332 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

I would hazard a guess that on a Saturday night 80% of ambulance call outs are to drunks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,103 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Just a general principle. If you attempt to help him directly, e.g. turn him on his side or whatever, that would constitute a voluntary assumption of responsibility. Which can leave you liable if something subsequently happens to the man - say if you put him on his side, walk away and he later is found choked on his own vomit. If you just call an ambulance though, then you aren't assuming responsibility.

Are you serious? So helping him into his flat was wrong then? He passed out on the floor, like fell backwards. I've never seen anyone so bad in my life. And I would be liable if anything happens. **** that, 999 it is if I find him on the floor like that again.

• Advertisement

That is from the legal. not moral. perspective.

Yes, in theory, you could be liable if you voluntarily assumed responsibility and then abandoned the person, and something subsequently happened to them.

If you did, say, put him on his side, call an ambulance, and wait with him until they arrive then you'd probably be grand. Putting him on his side and walking away could leave you liable, whereas stepping over him while you know he is choking to death, wouldn't!!!

Noone would bring a legal case against me, would they? His own family doesn't care and know he his a drunk as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Do you stop and help homeless people every time you see them on the street? You do in your fcuk, you walk past them and ignore them.

This situation is the same really.

-------------------------------

@waterwelly tone down the language please

Post edited by Big Bag of Chips on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,477 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It can be scary dealing with someone who is that drunk.

They can be really helpless and almost comatose so they are very vulnerable.

Just do what you feel able to do, if it is just putting them in the recovery position that is an intervention and will help.

Just on the security issue you could ask the landlord to install a door closer mechanism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Do you dial 999 every time you see a drunk or homeless person?

Do you honestly think ringing 999 makes it all go away?

• Advertisement

Inform the landlord!

He's been living in the flat for 10 years. The landlord probably already knows.

I can't say what would happen. I am saying what could happen. If you put the person on their side, walked away. and they were later found choked to death on their own vomit where you left them, you could theoretically be liable for manslaughter for abandoning them after assuming responsibility for them. That is an extreme example.

Then when you report it to them, ask them have they any other properties available to let to you, as you feel unsafe living in the same building as this man.

From what you posted it sounds like maybe other tenants have moved on because of him.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

That is bollox btw. We have good samaritan laws here. But yes an ambulance should be called

You are confusing what the doctor appears to have described as potentially an obligation to stop and help (which, if it exists is likely a professional obligation) with the legal situation of a person after they voluntarily assume responsibility.

The average person is under no legal obligation to help. There was a case recently (might have been in the UK or US) where a group of teens filmed a homeless man drowning. They could have helped him but instead decided to film it and laugh at him. No legal wrongdoing. Like I explained in the earlier post, the man could be visibly choking and you could step over him and have no liability. But once you assume responsibility for that incapacitated person, you are liable if you then abandon them.

As regards "being caught" or ability to lie your way out of trouble later, that is a separate matter.

Source please?

I hate to embarrass you, but if you want to jump in and accuse someone of talking bollox, then don't be surprised if it is shown that your own interjection is the bollox.

• Administrators Posts: 14,332 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

This is not the place for legal discussion. And keep the language civil, as per the Charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Only issue here for me is leaving the door open that is a secruity matter so tell the landlord the drunk guy is not your problem he has to see sense himself .

Can someone explain the security matter issue?

I mean, I acknowledge that such a risk exists. If he is lying in the hallway with his door open, some third-party could enter during that period. But why would the neighbouring tenant need to take responsibility for that, or to act in response to it?

Surely, the drunk tenant, in this case, assumes all responsibility of what happens with his own flat? If something bad happens, like theft or something, then the tenant is responsible. It's his issue. The neighbour is not responsible nor should care.

Or am I missing something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

You are. Front door to a shared tenancy left open. Big security risk.

Oh the front door of the block.

I see.

I imagined it as a hallway within the block, rather than the front door.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭rolling boh

I took it the front door was open that to me is an issue if only his door open not so much .Risk is small enough but if someone kept leaving the main door open with no drink involved I would still have a bit of a problem .Maybe I read the first post wrong .

Yep. Thought so as well first. Been there (probably done it myself on occasions! ).

Self closing doors are the way to go.

I'm out of that situation myself now, but if I was still there now, it'd be up you so. Next time I'd see them sober, it be 'what the feck are you playing at"

This is a horrible thing to say.

When I was younger I'd be so concerned, very concerned. Now I'd be more so, feck sake, again, and push them out of the way (can do the same to me).

I think in this case that the drunken person needed medical assistance. Place him in the appropriate position, call an ambulance and let them manage the potential health consequences. Medical professionals can discuss the matter further with the next of kin / family etc.

Discuss the matter with him when he's sober.

Inform the landlord of what happened and the obvious security consequences for everyone else in the block.

Beyond that, I don't think anything more can be done.

It's a cautionary tale I tell. I have previously been sympathetic. Never again.

Stabbed twice (luckily on the hip bone each time) and tried to have my eyes gouged out. Never again am I interfering. (All domestics).

I actually don't like myself for stepping over people in distress, but I will. It takes a lot of will power to do so. I won't sleep at night, but my kids need me.

I actually don't like myself for stepping over people in distress, but I will. It takes a lot of will power to do so. I won't sleep at night, but my kids need me.

But if someone is medically in a vulnerable position, such as that outlined in the OP, isn't there a requirement for people to intervene?

Or is this not considered?

I've no idea, but it seems walking over a drunk person in the hallway, to the point where they could die, could cause damage to the tenant who ignores it?

How does a tenant respond to this without being liable in some way?

For instance, if in the OP the neighbouring tenant was vomiting and on the floor, is it negligence to not report that to health authorities and simply "walk over" the neighbour?

I just don't know what the law says about this. I imagine the OP feels similarly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,473 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Contact the LL , and the next time, if there's one , just call 999 . And beef up security to you gaff . Get the LL to do that and put a chain lock on for when your in.

That is a curiosity to me at this stage. More so thrice bitten, now shy.

I can look at myself and say I can do better. If I see someone in honest distress, I will try my best. When I say honest distress, not domestics, addiction issues...etc. of course I'll call 999.

I don't need the drama. Even calling 999 can cause it.

I sound like a horrible person, but no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,443 ✭✭✭✭road_high

How I deal with all drunks- just ignore them. They’re usually beyond help do best left to the professionals

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement