Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old or forgotten place names or landmark names around Cork and suburbs.

Options
  • 01-07-2022 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭

I am facinated by the history of places and names of old places around Cork and surrounding areas. They tell of times of long ago.

Some examples of these places and names that have either been forgotten or changed over time would be...

The Bow-wow bridge - thats the one in Doulgas that the tram used go over the Church Road- A bus got wedged under it a few years ago.

Morris's Field - the land beside the bow-wow bridge where Piper's funfair used to be before the houses were built.

The Snotty Bridge. I think this is the old railway bridge on Spur Hill in Togher.

Leslie's Cross - this is the old name for what we would nowadays call the Wilton Roundabout.

The Banshee Bridge - not quite sure where this is but i have heard of it. I am thinking Blackrock on the old railway.

Looney's Cross - what is now the junction by the Bishopstown Bar

Deasy's Bridge - What we would now call the Curragheen Interchange on the N40

Hell Hole - on the Lee just north of where the Poulavone Roundabout is now. Anyone older from Ballincollig will tell you of people drowning here as there is a vortex in the river.

And another thing, cross roads and the like named after someone. Like Buck Leary's Cross, White's Cross, Kearney's Cross and so on. Who were these people?

Is there anyone who would know any more on the history of said places, or have any other interesting place names or landmarks that have been lost to time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭notAMember

Local historian and councillor Kieran McCarthy is probably a good start! He does walking tours of the city.

His twitter is @cllrkmac

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

Rice's lane, now known as Gordan's hill.

The Banza, a lane running from Stream hill along the back wall of St. Patricks school to Dillons cross. Apparently a band used to practice there back in the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,053 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I always thought the snotty bridge was the one by the church in Douglas?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Monahan Road = The Boggy Road, seems to be an old local thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

I remember the Rock Steps, or was it the Devils steps on Blarney Street. Apparently the Devil used to sit on the stone just on the turn here - was enough to scare me from heading down that way late at night as a wee fella !

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The snotty bridge was on the Kinsale Road, very close to where the Kinsale Road roundabout is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

**** hill

F*A*GG*OT

it blanked it when I posted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Be right back

Interesting link on this page. For some reason, I can't share it. Just Google old Cork Street names and you should find it.

Does anybody remember a lane known as Betty's lane, that ran between the Old Youghal Rd and Banduff Rd? It came out around where Glenamoy Lawn is now and was built over by the NBA when they were constructing these houses back in the 60's!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

Thats right my father said there was a sharp turn to go under it hence the nickname carried the west cork railway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

I think the Snotty Bridge was so called because of all the little stalactites hanging down from the stonework, dripping water on people underneath and looking like, well, snots.

Gordon's Hill was called that for over a century - you can see it marked on the old maps available here

https://webapps.geohive.ie/mapviewer/index.html

You may be right there is a stone bridge with a plaque on the kinsale roundabout must try read it someday.

Gordon's Hill was called that for over a century - you can see it marked on the old maps available here

It was known locally, as Rices lane in the 60's & 70's. But that is not unusual for Cork that an area would be referred to differently to its official name.

True. I didn't live too far from there for 20 years and I still call it Rices Lane, though a friend who moved to Cork in the 2000s calls it Gordon's Hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭kuro2k

I grew up very close to the snotty bridge and remember truck used to jack knife or overturn regularly. Trucks would be speeding down the Kinsale Road, it’s the reason the bridge was removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The area around Punch's Bridge/Pa Johnson"s was known as Poulraddy Harbour.

It bugs me that I can't remember or visualise that whole area before the 4 lane road went in. As in, I can't place what was between where Christy Ring Bridge is now and say, Secrets/Brewery Tap is.

Carrolls Quay was a narrow street, with the exposed Kiln river just before it flowed into the Lee. Rats. Lots of rats, especially at low tide. And Whittakers Hatcheries had a big building at the West side of the Kiln where the apartments are now.

The was an urban legend that during WW2, a lost German U-boat surfaced in Poulraddy Harbour

Old photos of cork on fb had a pic of that that area with the river being covered over recently.

With the blood and other effluent pouring straight out of Whittakers into the river. I still remember the smell especially during the summer.

• Advertisement

Brutal and anyone remember oliver lynch place in blackpool dealing with animal skins smell was terrible.

And of course dennys on watercourse road and another abbatoir on shandon street.

Or the smell of ammonia from nappies drying in front of open fires during the winter. Ahhh the good old days 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Best viewed on a computer. If nothing shows, click 'Run'.

Whats on that map?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Named locations around Cork city, including junctions, etc.

Advertisement