Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭facehugger99

*Fist Pump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Enzokk

It is possible to be both happy he has signed and still hold the view that he was being greedy. We will not know why he has signed now when by all accounts we have been offering him £350k per week since they broke off the negotiations in December. If it is because he is getting more base salary compared to bonuses then I don't see how it shows it wasn't about money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Everyone is greedy. More, more, more, the biggest egg and all that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

The two other big things that have happened since then are; a) new striker, and b) Klopp signing. Both were things that were always talked about as 2 of the things he was asking for. Beyond that, I mean, of course money was a major aspect. It's a major aspect in all contract talks. Taking the deal he did proves money was not his number 1 priority though, as we all know he'd have made a hell of a lot more somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Exactly, if it was about money he could have easily ran down his contract and got substantially more next year or even copied Mane and moved this summer and get better wages elsewhere.

We are getting into tough times if we are letting players demand the direction of the club. Now maybe you mean this is us showing intent to Salah to have him want to stay. I would argue us fighting for 4 trophies had just as much influence as Klopp signing an extension or Nunez signing.

I don't know where he could have earned more though. Can you name the clubs that would pay him more than £350k that he would want to move to? I think this was beneficial for both us and Salah, he gets to earn up to £350k per week and be top 5 highest paid players in the PL and we get to keep a great player. I don't think his options, once you factor in his wage demands, were that big that he could ask much more than we were willing to give. And I think we were generous to offer him a salary that big. Both sides had to compromise but got what they wanted.

Its a possibility Girly that he didn’t get the level of interest at the wages he reportedly wanted, from other clubs he was expecting. I know they are polar opposites, but Pogba apparently thought he would have his choice of clubs, but only one was interested in him, at a salary considerably less than he was on at Utd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

comparing Mo and Pogba is like comparing a Ferrari with a lemon

Indeed, if that were the intention of the post, it wasn’t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

There's also the issue that the player didn't have a major impact at the African Cup of Nations and his participation in the tournament affected his form for the remainder of the season. And Mane who reportedly had demanded parity with Salah's contract has left the club. It's possible that such issues impacted on how things played out but I have my doubts.

When the subject came up in interviews since January, Salah basically said that he didn't want to be distracted by contract talk and was focused on doing what he could for the team to achieve its goals for the season, the contract would be looked at when the season was over. Funnily enough that is exactly what happened. From the FFP perspective, the 2021/22 season ended on June 30th and the new season began the following day. The announcement just happened to occur on July 1st - I doubt the timing was by coincidence.

Last week there was a nonsense rumor that the club were willing to listen to offers of £60M for Salah, surprisingly there was no media speculation regard clubs making a move for the player. This would lead me to believe that such speculation was total BS and may have occurred because somebody misheard something regarding the potential value of his contract. The £55M contract is very close to the supposed £60M valuation and it's not unheard of for the media types to inflate such numbers slightly.

The whole saga reinforces the idea that none of the ITK media personas actually know anything other than what the club wants them to know. Everything that has appeared in the media has been speculation that generates clicks and advertising revenue. Salah's contract is another potential bump in the road that has been removed for the forthcoming season and that's the best outcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭tanko

How much a week was Salah on up til now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Packet of tayto and 20 major plus incentives I think.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Elliott really is like a new signing. Was just about to be given a run of games last year before the injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

I wish people would leave the "like a new signing" nonsense out. How can a player who had 20 appearances and 1 goal to his name be comparable to someone who truly is a new signing? It'd be one thing if he was away on loan for the season and returning a more complete player but he was there and available to be picked for half the season. Yeah, sure, he's like a new signing, except he isn't on any metric and already has a squad role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

That's not fair on him, he is a very exciting young player who suffered a terrible injury when he was breaking into the team, he recovered fast but it would be expected for confidence to return slowly after an injury like that, goals scored isn't the only measure of a player, he has scored as much as becker. He should be an important squad player this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I'm glad Salah signed, but it's partly FSG protecting their investment, Salah is in his twenties, okay he was up to a few days ago. It would not be a huge surprise to see Salah sold in summer of 23 or 24 for 70m. It's win win all round, I think at some point they'll make a killing on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

That a bad thing?

Sounds like its good for the club, the team and the player.

If Salah thought there was a chance of him being sold, he would not have signed a new contract, financially it would benefit him greatly to not be under contract in summer of 23. I suspect he now sees his career with Liverpool to 25 then either another year or two with LFC or a swansong in the US or home in Egypt.

He’ll have only barely turned 33 when this deal lapses - I doubt he’ll be US or Egypt bound at that stage unless things go quite wrong 😅

Agree he’s likely with us till it expires though, and will then either sign another extension, or else go on to another big club on a free.

After the Mbappe deal collapsed, I was full sure he was going to end up there tbh. They’ve a tonne of money ready to be spent after planning around Mbappe’s eventual arrival for yeeears, and that’s all now free, and there’s been plenty of flirting between Mo and Madrid over the years too. And Mo would’ve fit better even, as Mbappe pushes Vinicius out of position, whereas Mo slots in on the right beautifully with Benzema centre and Vinicius left.

I really feared the worst when PSG kept Kylian, as it just looked like the stars were aligning against us keeping Mo.

(Also, on a free next year, there would’ve been no shortage of other clubs interested - 500k a week over the same 3 years he signed with us is still only 78m. That’d be his total outlay in its entirety for the entire contract, which is so little these days… Richarlison will cost Spurs more than that between fee and wages for instance.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Carra has just about made Gary Neville cry on Twitter 🤣 Neville responding like a 10 year old.

”Short period of success” referring to the most successful side in England lol.

With Barca rebuilding, a return to Madrid for Ronaldo is on, Chelsea also sniffing, would it make Chelsea more of a problem to Liverpool, not sure if it would weaken them or strengthen them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

such a contrast between legends of clubs. Mo feel good. Ronaldo feel bad.

This group return on Monday for the start of pre season.

Adrian, Carvalho, Davies, Diaz, Elliott, Firmino, Gomez, Henderson, Kelleher, Konate, Matip, Milner, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Phillips, Ramsay, Thiago, N. Williams, R. Williams, Van den Berg.

• Advertisement

True, although the latest The Athletic article on Salah signing the contract mentions that he is a big Barcelona fan so not sure he would ever want to go to Madrid, add in the 2 finals he lost to Madrid as well. I only learned this today so not going to claim it as something I knew beforehand. You are right his only option seemed to be Madrid as the others didn't seem viable and with them losing out on Mbappe it seemed to make the most sense.

"He had not been guided by any of his coaches in this pursuit. Indeed, he might have been a Barcelona fan but from afar, he’d seen Cristiano Ronaldo with his Real Madrid shirt off after scoring a goal and realised the way the game was heading. “Mo realised he had to become a machine,” Fathi concluded."

Makes sense that we have signed him to the new contract. He will cost us £54m for the three years in wages if he obtains all the incentives and it would be great for us if he does as it means he is scoring goals. We could not replace him for this amount this summer so it made sense to keep him at the big wage.

The club can probably get away with explaining why others will not get this wage to the circumstances and seeing as its only fringe players that will need to be resigned - Firmino and Keita and the others have signed their new contracts already - it is something that could have been done by the club. It is still a lot of money to be spent on one player though. Hope the predictions of him not slowing down until his late 30's is true.

From his 2 Marca interviews talking about Real in the past, it sounded like he'd be very open to Madrid as a future option anyway.

Madrid are the one that made most obvious sense, as being one that looked tailor made for both parties. But again, as I said, on a free next year he'd have gotten well higher wages than we can offer. There'd be no shortage of clubs willing to offer him 78m over 3 years (500k a week), when Spurs are paying more than that for the first 3 years of Richarlison's contract for instance. Same with Jesus at Arsenal. Mane's total cost to Bayern for 3 years is higher than that as well.

I thought keita and firmino only have a year left, when did they sign new contracts?

Neither have. Some word that Keita has turned down a new offer as well, though pinch of salt with that I'd say.

If Carlsberg did transfers, Dortmund would fancy Keita.

Interesting idea alright, be a great makeweight for Bellingham that legitimately works for both sides. Would expect Keita would have to take a pay cut to join Dortmund though.

• Advertisement

I was trying to say they are the 2 players that are in contract talks by all reports, or at least ones you would think would be in contract talks (not sure for Firmino by talks are going on with Keita). We have signed the other players that are deemed important to extensions before Salah.

I wasn't sure if that was what you meant, I reread it and that's not what it said, squad looks good for this season anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

While I agree we are weaker on paper as opposed to how the season finished, Diaz was absolutely Mane's replacement. It's on the record we didn't want to sign him until summer but we had to move in January cos Spurs did. That gave us a problem over where to play the two of them hence Mane moving central.

Many had written Mane off last season until that move and his Afcon success but I was quite happy with his output even before the move. As much as Diaz looks a player he's going to have to significantly increase his goals output to replace what Mane brought, even the so called poorer version of Sadio last season brought 9 goals in the first half of the season as opposed to 4 from Diaz in the second half.

Much to look forward to this season to see how we go forward from here but it's been mentioned in a few Salah articles that a change in formation is likely to fit our new attacking options in.

Diaz was Manés replacement. The journos close to the action from the Athletic said as much. Apparently Mané let it be known he'd be moving this summer (or not signing a new deal) and Diaz was brought in as a replacement.

Some business tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭RedCardKid

Only problem is that Keita is not the same type of player as Bellingham. Dortmund have to replace Emre Can next season as well as Bellingham. Keita is not robust enough .....

• Advertisement

If there was money in the pot Kieta would be replaced. I like him, but he's just not consistently up to the standard we need imo.

Klopp didn't trust him for the CL final (when Thiago was clearly not fully fit, particularly early on second half ), and that said a lot for me. Definitely a disappointing signing so far considering the money spent.

Imo, it's a big risk not strengthening the midfield this season, but I guess we'll see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Dortmund have been trying to offload Can for over a year - he played more minutes as a defender than a midfielder last season. His fitness and motivation have not been at the levels they should be. At 33, Witsel was a more mobile player than 27/28 year old Can last season. They've signed Salih Ozcan from Koln to replace Witsel. Keita would be an adequate replacement for Bellingham as a box to box midfielder, an issue is likely to be whether he would want to return to the Bundesliga to play for any club other than Bayern.

Pearce has done a Q&A on The Athletic.

Liverpool won't stand in Ox's way if the right offer comes in that suits both him & the club. They value him at £10m

Bellingham the €120m fee doesn't scare Liverpool however his wage demands might and there will be a lot of competition for him next summer.

Liverpool value Phillips at £15m, Bournemouth want him but don't like that price and would take him on loan.

Gordon if he has a good preseason Pearce sees him maybe taking the 6th spot in the front line and getting some semi regular game time over the season.

Klopp still believes in Naby Lad and getting him to sign a new deal protects the investment the club made in him instead of losing him on a free next summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Few twitter rumours this morning that Firminio might leave in this window

Diaz is no Mane, not yet anyway. He was a ghost in all the big games. But he deserves time. Diaz needs at least 15 goals this season to be considered a real Mane replacement .

Nunez needs at least 10 goals also, if we are playing the same way. Typically our no9 doesn't score a lot,

we scored 94 goals last season, I literally have no idea where the came from as Salah only had 23, Mane 16, Jota 16

I wouldn’t be surprised if he wants more game time in a WC year. Depends on whether Klopp plans to play Darwin from the start of the season or do what he did with Fab and give him a couple of months to adapt to a new league/team before consistently picking him. Saw that Juve might be interested in him, but then it had some woeful BS about a swap involving Rabiot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭giveitholly

If he does go it will be a little worrying if he is not replaced,while he isn't hitting the heights of a few years ago he would still be a very important squad player

He works hard for the team, great defensively and link up play forward but feel given the position he is playing the fact that he had such special players around him that defence had to prioritise his goal return is disappointing, can't have it everyway I suppose, I am not trying to criticise him.

• Advertisement
Advertisement