Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do You Have a Moron-Deal Breaker Point of Reference with people?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

Just wondering if you are a vegetarian/vegan? Otherwise the animal that people have shot for food has lived a far better life than the animals that you and the vast majority of the population consumes every day.

That three euro chicken form Aldi, living a miserable unnatural life is a far bigger issue than what you are talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Pissy Missy

I'm well aware of how unethically they are treated, but nope I'm not a vegan or vegetarian, I'm not perfect. But I'm saying I dislike ppl shooting them for sport, if they're a starving poor person in need of food, that's different. I still stand by my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

They're certainly not endangered species though. And no, the people shoot them don't check whether they're endangered or not before they do so.

Would get some rogue shooters alright but the vast majority I have come across follow the strict rules on what animals they can shoot at what time and place.

Maybe if you saw the way the animals that you eat are treated and how they are mass killed etc you would notice how much more humane it is for someone to shoot a wild animal for food. The modern world has made a disconnect between the reality of how our food is produced and what we see in the supermarket with nice packed meat products.

My sister is a vegetarian for decades because she believes it is inhumane the way the food industry treats animals, she has no problem with someone hunting for food as long as the animal is killed humanely.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Drunken Oaf

People who believe absolutely everything they are told by the media and government. Covid, The climate "emergency", Ukraine. We live in an era where alternative views and studies are available at a click of a button, yet some people still believe complete and utter half truths as long as they are delivered by a man of authority in a suit.

Take Ukraine for instance. It comes on the news that a Russian missile strike has killed 80 people in a hospital. My first reaction is, why would anybody necessarily believe it was a Russian missile? Only the other day Zelensky was claiming there were 1000 people in the shopping centre that was bombed- I can say from personal experience that if you walked through the Blanch centre on a Tuesday afternoon in the middle of summer you wouldn't find a third of that amount of people present. Other bomb attack photos have shown burnt out cars sitting beside low hanging streetlights and pane glass windows that somehow didn't shatter during the explosion which apparently gutted the vehicles. Atrocity propaganda has been a feature of every single war in the media age- why anybody thinks the Ukrainians are above it is anybody's guess.

There clearly is a war on, but anyone who swallows every story coming out of there isn't the sharpest tool in the box.

So who are you claiming shot the missile? Who has motive?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Drunken Oaf

I'm not claiming anybody did or did not. Simply saying that Ukraine, the US all have motivation to do so.

A few months back a Ukrainian MP posted what she said was a mass grave of massacre victims. Not only was it clearly a new section of an existing graveyard where the dead hadn't been given gravestones yet, the temporary markers for the graves had, when enlarged, dates of death on them that clearly pre dated the Russian invasion!

How anybody swallows this nonsense is beyond me.

And what about the intercepted phone calls where the Russian soldier's wives and mothers encourage them to rape and murder Ukrainian women and children? How anybody in the West takes these recordings as gospel after two years of Covid hyperbole reporting just floors me.

I don't recall any previous war in the modern era that sought to portray the average civilian, let alone soldier, of the rival country as a murderous, souless devil in the way we are told the average Russian is like this. Hell, we spent the whole of the 2000s being reminded that Islam is the religion of peace, despite groups like ISIS clearly enjoying, initially at least, decent popular support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭con___manx1

People with no hobbies or pastimes that they enjoy.

Also people with no interest in history and dont have a clue whats going on in the world.

People who just live in there own bubble basically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

Just went to a date recently where the dude said he didn't believe in evolution because if it was real we would have evolved into something else, not humans... He saw it on youtube!

Eh, no thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,812 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The thread is called "moron-deal breaker point of reference".

And here we have a textbook case.

There's so much wrong with this post I don't even know where to start. How about posting this guff on the Russia thread where it can be shredded to pieces. It's usually a dead giveaway someone can't stand over a word they've said when they can't even find the right thread to post it.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Middle aged men driving convertibles who put the top down whilst stopped in traffic just because you give the car a second glance, total knobs, just go and cut your wispy hair,dress appropriately, buy a real car and cop on,people are looking at you with pity not admiring you.

Hmm, are you sure... if you happened to win one in a car draw... you wouldn't do the same? Honest answer?

I know I would :)

And the thing is, a lot of them do have real cars... they can afford to take this one out for a spin only when they want to.

Definitely not, I'm 100% sure, each to their own and I know plenty of them have other cars , just wouldn't be for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,998 ✭✭✭standardg60

I've crossed off 3 or 4 posters just by reading this page alone

The irony of the irony is the basis that the level of judgement of others that a follower of any religion becomes is directly proportional to their adherence to that religion.

Level of adherence, and therefore judgement, is my first port of call when it comes to the moron-deal breaker reference.

go away standard. you're ignored by me now too.

• Advertisement

People who only live in the present moment, and have no regard to their past - for them the 'Long View' is well, "We'll cross that bridge when we come to it..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭CPTM

People who turn their nose up at certain coffees or instant coffee when they're out and about. Coffee snobs.

Maybe a contraversial one - People who consume any drug harder than alcohol or marijuana.

People who have no kids but lecture parents on how to parent.

God there's so many.

People who think Leo is the current Taoiseach.

People who brag about how late they work in the office or how work would be lost without them if they took a holiday.

People who touch me needlessly when they talk to me, like my shoulder or back.

I'm forgetting what the thread is about. I'm just ranting now.

People who sit in the right lane of the motorway.

People who play music out loud on their phone when they're out and about instead of using headphones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Let me get this straight. If evolution took a different path, we would have evolved differently. But it didnt?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭HBC08

A lot of anger there.

Begrudgery is a moron deal breaker for me.

People who say they have no interest in travelling or have never left Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

No, he belives that if evolution was real we would have documented evidence of human beings evolving, as i said, he saw something in youtube...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,154 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Angry nerds who get, overly, upset over a film, or show, using a black actor to play someone who was white in whatever cartoon or comic book the film is based on.

Worse still when it’s some weird creature like a goblin or ogre. Banging on, and crying, about “canon” or “lore” all because a fairy shouldn’t be black.

Same goes for when a character that was a man in the original “material” is a woman in the film/show. It’s pathetic.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I read some reviews of the new Resident Evil TV show. They seemed pretty good, not amazing but worth your while if you're into it.

I went to IMDB and it's got a terrible score. Most of the bad reviews are talking about wokeness. Turns out one of the main characters is now black.

There's a nasty intersection of nerds who are also right wing and just get viciously angry when any type of reboot is done and it has someone gay/black/female in a role that used to be a white guy.

(BTW, I started watching last night. Ep 1 was ok, we'll see how the rest goes).

To add my own person who annoys me, the guy who books off xmas holidays every march and gets annoiyed when you say that maybe we should discuss it as a team. I worked in a position where you need coverage over xmas. One guy always booked early, refused to help out in coverage and would just get angry when someone suggested doing a day or two. Our boss always let him away with it.

And that reminds me of a second one. Spineless bosses.

You forgot to mention people who believe Biden won the election. I know you think the election was stolen because you've demonstrated that you're a loon in every other way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭teediddlyeye

I wouldn't call anybodies interest or pastimes stupid. Like driving convertibles or spending big money on stuff others might regard as useless.

It's loads of little things people do that get me. Stuff that gives a glance into genuine wider stupidity.

People that don't understand what's going on in their surroundings, and I don't mean big events happening in the world, I mean literally what's around them, shopping centres are great for that. Also people that can't fathom how objects can interact with each other, and generally how simple things work.

Stopping to have a look at items on the shelf while the trolly is parked sideways in the Isle.

Laying a drinks bottle at a checkout at 90 degrees to the direction of the belt and the bottle rolls up and down the belt while you're trying to put your own shopping up.

People getting out of a car not realising that the belt is hanging out the door and proceed to mash the buckle in between the door and frame.

Repeatedly trying to flush a toilet with an empty cistern, it's not going to refill any quicker!

Putting "for sale" in the actual title of an online classified ad. So you're not using donedeal just to host photos of an old trailer then?

Putting bottles in a bottle bank bottom first so whatever drops left in the end spill out onto themselves.

Not knowing different battery sizes, "normal ones", you mean AAs? Or "one of the square ones". Don't even know what a square is then? Similar for bulb fittings. "Whats a bayonet?"

If you're ever parked in IKEA, just take a few min to sit and watch people try and pack stuff that's clearly too big to fit in an average car. The best one was outside B&Q in Naas. 3 young lads trying to fit an 8x4 sheet of plywood into a focus. Rent a van or have it delivered!

Filling a fridge and using the door to hold stuff in so the next person to open it will have to pick everything up. The last job I worked in they used to do a big BBQ a few Fridays during the summer. One of the butchers delivering put the meat in the canteen fridge like that using the door to hold it in. One of the lads called him on it and he just had a deer in headlights look on his face.

I could actually go on and on, and make myself sound like some perfect stuck up pr1ck. But they really are among us.

"I never thought I was normal, never tried to be normal."- Charlie Manson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Don't know if anyones mentioned it but People with strongly held political opinions who know nothing about politics.

Fair enough if someone disagrees with a political opinion but if someone is a diehard supporter of a politician but doesn't actually know a single policy of their, that pisses me off.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Well we do have such evidence, though his youtube thing avoided that bit.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

For me it's anyone who is extremely liberal in their viewpoint or climate action warriors.

Using pronouns, denying reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭HBC08

That's a really good post,I was lolling away at that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭KaneToad

This is a good one, and by extension:

People vehemently arguing that Martin/Varadkar shouldn't be Taoiseach because SF got the most votes.

They clearly don't understand how our electoral system works.

People who argue that X shouldn't be a TD but overlooking the fact that they were fairly elected by their constituents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,003 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

To be fair, if a white actor played a black character there would be even more uproar.

James Bond, is rumoured to be next played by Idris Elba. James Bond as written by Ian Fleming is a white male… so why after about 70 years would it be appropriate to have a white character played by a black actor… ?

that is James Bond as drawn by its creator, Ian Fleming…

so why Idris Elba ?

if we are going down these standard rabbit holes, can a person of African heritage play ‘anyone’.. to suit the woke narrative ?

Because then why can’t a white actor play a historically black character ? I’ll tell you.. because that would be ‘ racist ‘ ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Everlong1

I'm a hardcore music nut and U2 fan. If I'm in "getting to know you" conversations with people and this comes up, and someone starts banging on about how much they think Bono's an as*hole, it's a safe bet I won't be putting too much effort into keeping in touch with that person.

I am aware that a significant segment of the population would hold this view.

Oh god yeah the Bono haters are so tedious. Not because they don't like him (I'm not crazy about him either) but because they go to such pains to let people know, as if it's really edgy and original. And they say inane, vapid stuff like "U2 r shyte" - a band going well over 40 years. Be a bit more specific. They were very different in 1980 to how they are now. Also those people lie and say Bono can't sing. Not liking someone/their voice doesn't mean they can't sing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Exactly. Bono can sing. Even now when he's getting on in years, but when he was younger jesus the lad had pipes. One of the finest male voices ever in popular music, and could do it live. U2 as you point out also varied in their sound and style over the years and stayed relevant for decades. Vanishingly few bands have been able to pull that off. The vast majority of the long timers hit on a winning sound and formula and stuck with it. The Rolling Stones for example are true giants of popular music, but were largely pickled by 1972. Bands like AC/DC pretty much played the one, maybe two songs. And fair play. It worked. The Beatles were the most innovative and changed radically in their styles, from album to album, even song to song, but could only pull that level of insane output off for seven years(though have stayed massive sellers since on the basis of that) and as individuals struggled to get close to those peaks. U2's first albums are quite different to their mid career and later career albums, while keeping the "U2 sound" intact. That's not an easy trick to pull off. Madonna did similar as far as staying relevant for a long time and changing her sound. Bowie another. Bono may come across as an eejit at times, but his heart seems to be in the right place and there's no denying their impact on the music world and indeed their impact on Ireland in the 80's as we saw "one of ours" reach peaks all over the world just as we were starting to get out from under the church and were opening up to the outside modern world far more. They played the soundtrack to a lot of that.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Anyone who says things along the lines to me like "....If we had done it MY WAY it would have been well over and done with by now...."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

I'm not mad about Bono either personally but I love his music. And if U2 tour again I'm getting a ticket. There's no denying their genius. A band doesn't last 40+ years without creativity and talent.

On the subject of gigs, I hate it when people buy an expensive ticket to a big touring act and spend the entire performance yapping to their pals. At Paul Simon in RDS 4 years ago there was a group of 'wans' aged in their 50s tanked up on gin who may as well have been sitting on the patio on their 'outdoor rugs' chatting to their 'gurls'. But I expect you had to be there to get the Facebook likes.

Absolutely brain dead.

Musically am a huge fan. On the politico-posturing front not so much. I wouldn't be bringing up all that other stuff if someone said they were a fan of the music. I'd be asking what your favourite album was \ which album you think is underrated. (Unforgettable Fire for the record)

Great Post. Glad you mentioned Bowie.

I think in a certain way they got so big, they can chance their arm a bit, but the excitement for them was trying something new and seeing if it works!

I've met bono a few times, short chats at a bar or something and never got preached to (he did give me a million euros to change tables in his favourite restaurant though...or something like that...or was that bruce Springsteen. All look the same to me).

Like many, I'm mostly not interested in U2 since Zooropa, but for the 15ish years up to then, they made some phenomenal music. And yeah Bono's voice is just so good - my favourite vocal performance of his is actually not a U2 song, it's the guest spot he did on that Clannad song, In A Lifetime. Gorgeous.

Even Noel Gallagher let his posturing guard down and admitted Bono is a fierce nice fella to have a pint and a chat with. He hasn't been banging on about current events for a while in fairness.

In A Lifetime is one of my faves... you might appreciate this version though. Would love to hear Aisling Jarvis doing some other U2 \ Bono vocals!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,706 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Why not Idris Elba?

Have you ever watched Othello?

Advertisement