Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

We've seen it. They shrug. It's a deeply ingrained part of the Russian psyche. I could have said this 30 years ago, 50 years ago, 100 years ago and it would still apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Saw a video recently where it was argued that as long as Russians are not mobilised they are happy. They have outsourced politics to Putin. All they have to do is shut up and get on with their lives. That’s the phase we are currently in. It is more likely that escalation rather than sanctions will stir the Russian people to real action against Putin or a combination of both especially if the escalation is unprovoked.

Hands up anyone shocked if Russia take “the republics’. No one? Didn’t think so…

Now, those that are breathless that it can soon come about… do you seriously think they’ll hold it?

Russia is heading for North Korea with Nukes. The war isn’t nearly over yet… so do try to keep it in your pants.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Your quote didn't quite give the whole story there either. So yep people should read articles.

On the other hand, the issue of Kaliningrad was briefly addressed in March at a meeting of EU ambassadors focused on the fourth package of sanctions. The group was not of the opinion that transport between Russia and its exclave was affected by the sanctions.

That statement makes it sound effect on Kaliningrad of the new EU sanctions wasn't fully considered at a political level (even if Lithuania's implemetation was correct). The sanctions involve all member states + need unanimity so Germany and others have a right to an opinion on it IMO.

However I don't think the EU should have softened its position. Russia throw out all these insane threats since the invasion whenever they are not getting their own way. They should be on ignore. Kaliningrad was not being "blockaded" here I think, just a bit more awkward (slower, more expensive) for Russia to get some stuff into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Hard to know what to make of this. Could well be a result of a friendly fire incident. Especially now that Russia is using very old and undependable missiles from a bygone era. If the guidance system goes haywire who knows where the missile would end up.

Dan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭rogber

Because for a long time, whenever we pointed out that this war might not have the rosy ending many here were predicting in mid April, we were called Putin bots, Russia lovers and many other stupid names by a hardcore group that refused to even contemplate other points of view. It drove many people away from this thread completely and it's perfectly reasonable to call that group of people out for their constant pile ons. Almost all of us support Ukraine here but there has to be room for different view points without immediately being attacked.

The fact that Soviet citizens were "forced" to fight doesn't make their heroic resistance any less valid, no more than Ukrainian resistance now, when men aren't allowed leave the country.

As for the raping and war crimes: yeah, shameful stuff, but a bit like the firebombing of German cities by the allies, none of it would have happened if the Germans hadn't done worse and done it first. Vengeance was ugly but understandable under the circumstances.

As I said, the horrors of Stalinism do not cancel out the heroic resistance of Soviet citizens to Nazism

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭zv2

True. I got a lot of stick for being 'zv2' when all people have to do is look at the date I joined. I got my Z long before Putin did. I got mislead by a dodgy link recently and suddenly I was on Putin's side.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 18,516 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Yes indeed, I have heard this explanation - that they are told that politics and the running of the country by Putin is nothing whatsoever to do with them and they have no say or input.

It's a quite extraordinary state of affairs though. They are living like serfs in the 1700s under the Tsar. It's not a million miles away from George Orwell's '1984' either, where all 'citizens' are just cogs in the wheel, Big Brother makes all the decisions and whatever he says is right and correct at all times.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Stewball

They're as much part of the ukraine as the Crimea has been for the last 8 years. Russia won't give them up & the ukraine aren't capable of getting them back.

I suspect when the Donetsk Republic is fully under Russian control there'll be referendums in both to join the Russian Federation.

• Advertisement

Problem is that this war is far from not over yet,and Ukraine havent even started their offensive push towards Russia yet.

Russia only have the advantage of 5-1 in manpower and 20-1 in artillery at the moment,but this could change.

You dont win wars by capturing and leveling cities,you win wars by defeating your enemy

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

They are living like serfs in the 1700s under the Tsar. It's not a million miles away from George Orwell's '1984' either, where all 'citizens' are just cogs in the wheel, Big Brother makes all the decisions and whatever he says is right and correct at all times.

Having known a few Russians over the years it's pretty much nothing like how you paint it. It's also a huge country with a few "Russias" in the mix. A middle class Muscovite is very different to a working class person in Nowheragrod and has different experiences. Like pretty much anywhere else your average person is not in the mix nor the sights of the State, or at least not that much more than we are here. There can also be robust private political debate. That seems to be the big difference. We're more quick to call out ballsology about politicians and freer to do so. More, we're a lot more free to call out our own nation's failings and holes in national and cultural naratives. Though that wasn't always the case. QV when Ireland was as much ruled by the Vatican as the Dail in many ways. Dissenting voices were rare enough. Then again dissenting voices against the cultural narrative are rare enough anyway, or at least a minority.

Put it another way: If this was Boards.ru and we were having debates about what we thought the West was like going by our media and prejudices, many would be quite convinced that the West was full of people who are corporate drone racists who hate Russians, afraid to speak out about and against I dunno The Gay Agenda(tm) and gender(putin has become obsessed with that stuff in his rantings of late), that we're all in debt and decadent and losing our way. Yet outside twitter and the like the average person has the same average person concerns and hopes of the average Russian for the most part. It doesn't take much or many people in any society to drive a percieved narrative of that society to outsiders while the rest of that society just trundles along 9-5, paying bills, raising families and doing average things. The vast majority of people in any society generally agree, or agree to tolerate what the society says and keep their heads down for the most part.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I don't share your optimism, but I do take your point. But the main thing is you and I might disagree but we do so civilly and without hurling abuse at each other. That's all I was saying to the other poster.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭francois

All modern countries are not tyrannies, that is plain nonsense.

It depends on how you define tyranny. We are all lied to.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,059 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

So by your logic, if the Brits decided that the NI was a bit small and wished to expand it to include all the counties of Ulster. That they could invade Donegal, Cavan & Monaghan - lay waste to all the major towns, kill, imprison, resettle and rape the inhabitants of said counties. You reckon that just because they declared these as UK territory and seized them, that the rest of the Irish public on the island would just have to suck it up and concede that these were British territories? That the Brits would run referendums in the three new ethnically cleansed counties in order to legitimise their claims?

You hardly need me to tell that the vast majority of the Irish public would tell you to f**k right off with that logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,407 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Kinda true. But in the West we can b1tch about our liars without getting a black bag over our heads and dragged away. We can also choose which liars to elect. Freely and fairly. We can also take the absolute piss out of these people in satire on radio, TV and internet. Ireland can be many things, tyranny is not one of them.

All Eyes On Rafah

Here's a very refined kind of 'mind control' - or call it what you like:

Philosophers as they call themselves are now telling us

1. We don't have a self.
    2. We don't have a mind.
    3. Reality is not really there.
    4. But never mind that it's not there, there's a whole multiverse of it not there.
    5. And it's all virtual because we are living in a virtual reality.
    6. There is no ultimate truth. Nothing is real.
    7. etc

What these teachings have done is to deprive us of our rich cultural heritage that goes back thousands of years. Nobody knows what is real or true anymore. Everything is being replaced by nothing. And this decadence and nothingness is one of the things that earns Putin's contempt for the west which he continually condemns as 'decadent'.

I would consider this to be a kind of tyranny, albeit of a rarified kind. But I digress...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

looks like the Utility part of the building could be aircon or some other thing that caught fire. If your gonna try gut a building start at the bottom or the middle.

I respect your point of view,dont get me wrong,but i wouldnt make any decisions before i have actually seen a winner in the conflict.

Its to early to say anything or predict an outcome.

Once Ukraine gets their manpower up and running,probably 1 million reserves and special units,special forces units,and trained in NATO countries on heavy weapons,air defence systems,anti ship missiles,drones,fighter jets etc etc and have started an offensive vs Russia,then we might see who will win this war.

We will see in a month or two where we are then

There’s a big difference - the Crimea was Russian until relatively recently… the LNR and DNR were “planted” relatively recently.

The West is now wise to Putin, he wants the USSR and its sphere of influence back, which included part of Germany… and why stop there, mighty nuclear power that it is. The west knows it screwed up trusting Russia. Now it’s pull back and let it rot. Democracy not for you? Grand, back to 5 year plans and famine, but you can stick to your fetid borders… see how the DNR and LNR like being shackled to the Russian carcass in the years to come when a developed Ukraine joins the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

It's hardly surprising that Ukraine is struggling. They admit themselves that Russia are out-gunning them in Donbas by a factor of 10 to 1. When you are vastly out-matched, a half dozen CESAR's here, or a dozen M777's there just isn't going to be enough to turn the situation around for Ukraine.

The situation for Ukraine looks very grim to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,957 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Why give them a single bullet if Ukraine is to fail, the USA and EU, UK said Putin must fail, well at the moment he is not failing. So the West now needs to step up with some real firepower for Ukraine, planes, bombers, fighter jet, kill them from 50000ft .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Polar101

Undoubtedly there will be referendums, where 101% of the people support joining Russia. Doesn't make any of it legitimate, unless you're Russia or Syria. I know it can be exciting to see Russia advance, but the war isn't over just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Would like to see the more iconic buildings around the Kremlin raised to the ground. This would really hit home with the Russian public and leave a lasting impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Prudence Goodwyfe, died 1641...she voted to join Russia...so did Buddy Holly, Richie Valens and the Big Bopper......

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 18,516 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

A referendum held in the middle of a war and a war zone would be an absolute joke. A referendum is something you would hold after several years of peace and stability in the region.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭thomil

Yes and no. Yes, the situation in Donbas is pretty grim at the moment. But that's because Russia is throwing everything it has available in there, by the looks of it. Meanwhile, in Kherson Oblast, an area that has been under a media blackout for quite some time now, it looks as if Ukrainian forces are moving closer to the city of Kherson every single day. Also, whilst Lysychansk may have fallen, it looks as if Ukrainian forces were actually able to withdraw in good order, rather than being encircled and crushed as the Russians had probably hoped. That means they'll still have their equipment and, more importantly, experienced soldiers that can be circled back to the rear and used to train up replacements.

Also, what's going on with the Russian Air Farce? Can anyone explain that to me? If things everywhere were as grim as the are in Donbas, we should be seeing Russian fighters and ground attack aircraft striking everywhere between Severodonetsk and Lviv. Yet the only Russian aircraft that seem to operate deep behind enemy lines are anti ship missiles. Even with the ongoing corruption and materiel issues, there should be enough aircraft available to blanket Ukraine, but that's not happening. Makes you wonder just what state the Ukrainian Air Force is actually in...

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement