Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inflation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Inflation is a serous problem, every week some random homeless person asks me for money,

Have you got a euro?

For the first time I was asked for 2 euro?

WTF???

I just moved on said no as per usual

He asked another 4 people nearby

I suppose the price of hash drugs and drink is going up too

You can eff off giving me 1 euro

This is not 2020

Is 2 euro now the going rate for beggars?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

We are in the EU , we had to take in our quota of Ukrainians, its not really a choice, Poland is not a very rich country, they took in over a million Ukrainians, I see little difference between fine Gael or Fianna Fáil re economic policy's , ff is slightly more Conservative Re northern Ireland policy

I read an article it says the easiest way to combat inflation would be to reduce duty on certain country's imports eg steel etc from outside the EU and to make changes in the whole structure of supply chain in global products

• Registered Users Posts: 16,918 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

your concerns are nothing to be worried about.

inflation could be solved relatively easily

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Shauna677

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

I left the immersion on, for a few weeks. Now it won't heat water.

Holy Smokes! I hadn't been to the butcher for a while. €8 for 4 chicken fillets. Had previously been €5 😫

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Shauna677

Nicely rounded to €2 a fillet. It's sickening the price

Increases.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

i always buy tinned peaches in lidl...the price has always been 99c...today it was 1.49...that's a 50% increase!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,054 ✭✭✭✭rob316

For the love of Christ would they leave housing alone. Every single thing they do just adds to the prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dorothylives

There's a lot of price gouging going on that's nothing to do with inflation. I usually buy Linda McCartney veggie burgers in Dunnes that would be around 2.75 a pack,I stopped getting them a few weeks back when Dunnes put them up to 4 euro a pack. I went into Iceland and got them for 2.50 the other day. It's been a long time since I bought a takeout coffee, I got one the other day, horrible bitter tasting regular size flat white, 3.45, I felt like I'd been mugged.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

We are in the EU , we had to take in our quota of Ukrainians, its not really a choice,

Untrue. We had a choice on the numbers and we had a choice on how to support them. We are giving them the highest payments in support in the EU if not the world and by quite the margin. Germany for example gives out a third per person and fewer supports. Instead we chose to be the best girl in the class and threw cash and resources we don't have with no caps and no vetting, so we, rather our political class, could garner pats on the head for being good.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

When I'm out and about, I buy my takeaway tea and coffee from the machine in M&S. €2 and it's the best cup of tea. My local cafe put their price for a latte up 50c, to €3.50. I know they can't help it but it feels wrong paying that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭slystallone

All restaurants/pubs are turning into a farce now. The portion sizes for meals now are a joke. I feel like im getting half of what would have been on a plate 3 years ago and then paying extra for it aswell. starters then and desserts the same. 7 or 8 notes now for a dessert. a 'slice' of cheesecake/pie/cake is now a sliver. The service then is gone backwards too are it looks to me like they are just hiring people and just not training them - sitting for ages waiting on a menu - waiting an age to get served - having nearly to go to the till for each course to say 'we are ready now - can you take the plates etc'. For me they have reached the stage where people are just going to stay at home

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭dalyboy

I’ve found service is gone to the dogs everywhere too. Staff have forgotten how to say thank you at so many places. Getting spit roasted we are. They take a higher price , give lower/smaller quality service/product and don’t even thank us for it. Doghouse of a place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Do you get an actual electricity bill, in your name? Or does the landlord simply empty the box every so often? If its the latter, then it sounds like its the landlord's own 'metering system'. I knew some students once upon a time who were in a similar situation. They just figured out how to remove the box such that the coins when inserted would simply fall out onto the floor. But they were clever enough not to milk it, and the landlord mustn't have been taking readings, so the sudden reduction in his takings (that's a euphemism for thieving b4$t4rd's ill gotten profits) was explained away as 'just being economical, boss". Of course, they were technically stealing, so not a course of action I'd recommend.

I presume the government worked out most ukrainians are well educated so maybe they think when they learn English they ll be probably working in 8 months if they learn English , say they are on the dole they ll be spending most of it in local shops cafes phone credit etc buying food clothes etc they won't be spending it on buying bitcoin or tesla shares.

I think theres a problem in we have a housing crisis hign rents , if they live in hostels or hotels it'll probably put the average price up for rooms that tourists use

I don't think 20 k ukrainians will effect the inflation rate one way or another, its more to do with the cost of oil, energy , supply chain costs

I heard on the radio rte 1 we could have a problem in 6 months . As we rely on the uk for much of our energy supply

It's years ago, one tíme ago i lived in a flat bedsit. each unit had a meter I would pay about 2 to 3 euro to the landlord per week for use of electricity

I think the landlord would read the meter every week there was no coin slot

I think cafes are having a hard time finding workers maybe they are not putting the time to train the new workers properly

I think in houses shares its usually rent, utilitys, eg each person pays an equal share of gas, electricity every 2 months when the bill comes , I doubt if theres many people using old esb meters that would take 1 euro coins where the money would go into a metal box.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

I work in the industry. I can confirm this, the prices are going up and the portions are being cut back. Menus gone very basic. Hire anyone basically.

What can do they really?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Its time to move energy supplier before winter and use the credit offers from them to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭ZenNature

Yes but at least we are winning the economic war, arent we , at least thats what some people are saying.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yep, "we" are. The Irish authorities local idiocy regarding throwing money at Ukrainians is just that, local idiocy. The rest of the EU are spending a lot less by comparison.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,319 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...its really just time to become less exposed to international fossil fuel markets, and build the fcuking off shore wind farms, and fast, at least then, we may not experience future energy induced inflation!

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭ZenNature

So you say we are winning the economic war.

Maybe we can close this thread so, given that you are a mod and you think we are winning the economic war.

There you have it folks, this MOD thinks we are winning the economic war , break out the lattes, tell that woman to get more peaches, and tell the old age pensioners to crank up the heat.. we are winning the economic war.

Another Chemical Ali moment... keep digging you might strike some oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

true, but we re clearly overly exposed to international markets, and its clearly obvious access to such markets is gonna remain uncertain and erratic, further exposing us to possible uncertainties, its time to become more energy independent, and off shore wind is our only true solution

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭brickster69

What has happened you see is you have waged an economic war on the country you are reliant on for energy without having a clue how to substitute it. Think about how crazy that sounds, beyond belief honestly.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Advertisement

well now, i think russia fired the first shot there, the really disturbing part has been germanys long term energy plan has always been russia, that was never gonna work! but you can see our political systems have no clue what to do, its clearly obvious that europe needs to urgently further integrate its energy networks, and flood the eu with the money to do so..... but this doesnt seem to happening, certainly not fast enough anyway, and in any coherent manner either....now thats scary!

Advertisement