Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Pay Talks - see mod warning post 4293

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,586 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Agree with that a lot - reducing the gap between grades will also act as a disincentive to go for promotion and develop talent from EO to HEO or AP for example. If there isn't a sufficient difference in compensations for increased management responsibilities, you can't blame people for not wanting to take on the increased challenge - this could mean a lot of unfulfilled potential from people who would make great HEOs and APs etc and maybe even go on to senior management. You need to have a right pay structure to encourage this development imo

Unless they do something about the pay at CO level, the grade they'll end up having to get rid of is CO - as no one will want to enter on 25k and spend years getting to a living wage (or at least one that allows them to rent in Dublin).

There is no guarantee of promotion, and if the future follows the same pattern as the past, and we go into recession, pay freezes and embargos will follow, so people could see themselves stuck at those pay levels for years.

We've already had COs resign because they can't live on the money.

theyll be on a scale that rises to 41k actually, and in your scenario theyll be in the same recession as everyone else- there arent a lot of entry level jobs of that type paying a lot more in those circumstances.

A scale that takes 20 years to get from 25k to 41K.

There are plenty of COs who are more useful than newbie HEOs / AOs who enter with nice shiny degrees but no civil service experience, whatsoever.

So yeah, maybe restructuring the grades is the way to go.

you're kind of arguing a few different things here at different junctures tho tbf

should 25k as a starting salary be a liveable wage for anyone? sure, i mean as i said the govt as govt should aspire to this- but it is entirely separate to their role as employer.

should the starting wage at the bottom rung of the public sector match similar levels of role/experience elsewhere? sure.

can it differentiate for each person at each point in the scale based on what a fair judge (if one could be found) would deem their work to be worth? you know it can't- so bringing it up as you have in the post above is a long reach.

should the civil service, already a fairer model than exists than almost any other employer you might mention in terms of remuneration structures and ratios up through the grades, be constantly asked time and again to make up for govt offer shortfall and inflationary pressures on the lowest paid grades by simply weighting every successive offer such that CO and EO grades approach HEO while the upper grades remain stagnant or worse?

clearly not. civil servants are as undervalued salary wise at experienced managerial level as at any other level and the answer to a too-small government offer is not to continue hacking away at the terms and conditions of those grades or we'll see an even greater managerial drain than we currently do

it's already impossible to get IT/Project management/engineering roles filled with the salaries on offer- we are being laughed out of it by applicants with 2 years experience.

its not the responsibility of civil servants en masse to ensure that everyone can afford a house on the lowest point of the lowest scale and while that's a stark statement i think you have to face that or forever accept a mugging from the govt

• Advertisement

Actually, thats not what I'm getting from the last couple of posts.

What I'm getting from the last couple of posts, is a strong attitude that some civil servants think the work done by COs isn't worth paying more for.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭anglesorangles

Its not worth increasing more than the other grades? Why would it be? Because its lower? You just want grades to amalgamate? Why would someone bother strive for promotion then? Diligent , ambitious COs dont stay at that grade for long.

None of that is what I said.

But as for this crap - "plenty of diligent, ambitious COs dont' stay at that grade for long" - plenty of diligent, ambitious COs got stuck at that grade for years during past embargos and promotion freezes. The departments they were assigned to were also another factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭HartsHat

There hasn't been a promotion freeze for almost 10 years. No current CO can claim to be "stuck" at the grade.

The claim that a CO could also do the role of an AO to a higher standard is also unbelievable. Degrees aren't just pieces of paper, they (should) fundamentally change how you think, believe it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭combat14

exactly once russia cuts off gas in europe this winter all bets are off with inflation.. only need to look to baltic countries to see the type of price rises that could be on the cards albeit with us less dependant on russian energy resources we will still be sourcing fuel from same pot as everyone else

• Advertisement

hopefully not from mine, im trying to make a clear distinction between the different things involved here.

im also trying to keep it very clear that im not arguing "COs dont deserve a pay rise"- ive been on this thread prominently arguing for civil servants to get their due id hope.

im arguing very specifically that the time for CO payrises to come at the expense of higher grades is over and we as a service entire need to demand better than that as a solution, not offer it up.

Why are they still COs? Years of experiences , degrees , are they petrified of interviews?

Not that long ago. The last freeze was lifted in 2015.

And, if you'd bothered to read my posts correctly, you'd see the whole point I was making was that it is likely to happen AGAIN.

In fact McGrath was already talking of another recruitment and promotion freeze in 2020.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

The vast majority of the jobs are Dublin based so if you are a CO in a Cavan office (for example) the chances of getting an EO/HEO job in that county are a lot slimmer.

There could be any number of reasons, not everyone progresses at the same rate.

Not every department offers the same opportunities for progression. Decentralisation / location was a big factor in the past.

But any experienced civil servant would know this without needing it to be explained to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,019 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

But any experienced civil servant would know this without needing it to be explained to them.

I'd say they all know how the system works alright. And how to play it too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,019 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

There has to be a cut off point at which those people should jump ship. Good people can get pigeonholed and stuck in a lower grade anywhere. That's fair enough. If you are stuck at a place and it looks like a dead end, and you stay in it even when you don't have to, then that isn't a good sign either. T

here might be other factors/benefits which means that staying there suits them, but then they can't be whinging and comparing their salaries to roles that don't provide those benefits.

A replacement salary range of 25k-40k should be achievable from an average decent job anywhere in the country.

I admittedly amnt a very experienced civil servant , only a 2 years in the same department , i think COs should get a pay increase , i dont think they should get closer to the other grades. They are entry level grades are they not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭HartsHat

I think this is what everyone is saying. COs should get a pay increase but the gap between them an EOs, AOs, and HEOs can't keep narrowing, given the additional pressure and responsibilities those grades have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Gusser09

It might be an option to decrease the intervals at which CO's get an increment for the first 5 years or so. I'd agree the pay isn't good enough but I don't think it should be raised past the max on the scale. Just quicker to get to that. Rather than 20 years maybe 12 or so.

Then like I said, maybe a restructuring of the admin grades up to AP is needed as I regularly see COs working way above their pay grade, and very little difference between EO and HEO/AO.

loueze you keep going back to points which dont really address the point made imo

CO and EO living in cavan are probably doing very well relative to HEOs in Dublin, for a start

you cant keep referencing the starting point on the scale and then claim that people are stuck there for years- Ive already pointed out these are long scales. that they take a long time to get to the top is a feature not a bug, theres a lot of increments- more than all the other grades.

If you want to talk about recruitment freezes then many HEOs and APs have worked through those as lower grades and should not be sold down the river to pay the government's bill now. thats the nature of a long career in the service.

in fact starting at lower terms and working your way up is the nature of most jobs everywhere.

all that is being argued is that there is no strong argument for going back AGAIN and making managerial grades take the hit for the necessary pay rises.

no case based on the responsibilities of the respective roles generally

no case based on market rates for the respective roles generally

no case based on being kept at pt 1 of the scale

no case based on a lack of progression, especially if that case is that they might live in a county with a much smaller cost of living.

the govt needs to address affordability as a govt, it doesnt need to put the burden on that on a particular set of grades as an employer and i dont think ive read anything in the thread to change my mind on that

id note again im not having a hack at CO or EO grades here and they need their pay rise and fingers crossed its a nice fat one. but an argument that is based on "a CO on point 1 should enjoy everything a HEO has" is a long long way from pay talks, its heading towards "everyone paid the same" which is a thread for another day imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭Augme

Often that's because most COs want to work above their pay grade to help with their promotion chances at interview.

There are multiple entry levels now, right up to AP. Not always a good thing in my real life experience.

Half of the newbies coming in now as HEOs / AOs with their shiny new degrees need bucket loads of practical training usually delivered on the job by - you guessed it - the COs and EOs whose years of experience and knowledge of civil service policy and practice it will literally take years for these people to learn to the same level.

You know, those who apparently don't deserve an equal pay rise (in cash terms).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭skidmarkoner

New entrant here I can't applying for internal competitions until 2 years in. So ye kind of stuck at this grade although my PMDS and EO to AP say they could see me doing EO or HEO next week. Why the 2 year wait?All it is doing is make me apply for open comps and get moved to a new location.

its impossible to argue against anecdotal stories like this which do seem more based on issues with progression/recruitment paths than anything else- again thats imo another thread.

the core duties of CO/EO vs AO/HEO and above should be treated within the range of expected norms and not edge cases that support any one side of an argument for a given purpose.

the entry level requirements and processes for grades are as the are and yes of course in any given instance people will be performing better or worse (I think its pretty telling you keep coming back to pick on inexperienced AOs who in my experience start underpaid relative to their qualifications and the recruitment process they go through and their responsibilities but then tend to rise quicker from a relatively low salary).

again you do seem to default to every grade should be paid the same and pick out a few mighty COs and a few useless AOs but you must know this isnt a strong argument.

nobody here is arguing for undervaluing COs - but you are at this stage arguing for undervaluing everyone else imo.

Not in my experience.

In my experience its usually because the work has to be done and they just get on with it.

But I'm going to step back from this thread now.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭kksaints

Almost reads like you don't like people starting their careers in the civil service here. There's plenty of CO and EOs who help train up AO,HEOs and even APs but there's many who don't. Plus many of the AOs who are hired are hired for their degrees and the skills they developed during their courses.

Advertisement