Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inflation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Is there anything to be said for biogas?

We have any amount of animal waste and grass to feed one why isn't it being given a go?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,319 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

mustnt be viable, wind seems like the only true viable option, for the moment anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭riddles

There are dairy biogass capture things being built in the US - 3 to 5 million a unit and unclear if they are viable without subsidies. Also the individual herd sizes here make it a challenge.

instead of pumping slurry onto fields if it was brought to a unit convert to dry fertilizer and spread on fields it might be more environmentally friendly and allow for methane extraction.

i listen to Eamon Ryan he says the more energy we get get from renewables the cheaper prices will get. I look at my bill it tells me 60% is coming renewables but yet the price has doubled. What’s the deal with that?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Eamon Ryan is a thundering gobshíte? The simplest explanations are usually the most right.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

I don't see how windmills can replace our other energy sources.

It's like how instead of building up public transport infrastructure, re-opening and re-constituting old railway lines, and expanding our rail and tram networks we're supposedly going to replace cars with a handful of cycle lanes.

We will become a second world country if this *really is* the plan.

Germany will remain a first world country with LNG imports from the US and extensive interlinked bus, rail, tram and metro networks in every city.

So... individual Irish people could move to Germany I guess? That sounds like a sufficiently Irish solution.

we re still heavily reliant on fossil energy markets, until we truly move away from these sources, our energy costs will remain unstable and high, even though moving more towards renewables doesnt guarantee lower costs, it would more than likely reduce uncertainties...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

There is an inherent instability built into a reliance on renewables anyway without a solution to storage of such energy and we are a very long way from that. In the meantime fossil fuels fill the gap.

very true, theres probably inherent instabilities in all forms of energy, but its clearly obvious, fossil fuels are done, for many different and obvious reasons, we ve become over reliant on international markets, and the only solution is to become as independent as we possible can, as these markets are going to remain highly unstable, probably indefinitely, and off shore wind truly is our only true option, for now anyway, and probably nuclear after that, but best of luck with that one in ireland! the time has come to rapidly expand our wind generation, and stop farting around with fossil fuels, but we ll need major supports from eu institutions to do so, particularly financial institutions....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

We are talking about restaurant portion sizes.

In Russia, they are closing car factories, their new cars have only basic features, no seatbelts etc. Their plane fleet is being striped of parts to keep flying.

They are looking at a 10% economic drop this year alone.

They'll survive, they are used to poverty and hardship. It won't be much of a living there for the next decade.

• Advertisement

Ryan also suggests we convert en-masse to heat pumps which will

require 100k retro-fit on existing houses. Sorry for quoting him again as I fully agree he is beyond incompetent. There is also the issue of taxation captured from fossil fuel how is this going to be replaced. Also subsidising energy costs for data centres is this really sustainable?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,987 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Even if there was a viable and stable source of renewable energy readily available, we all switched to electric cars and air to water heating etc, does anyone believe it would be cheaper?

How would all the taxes on gas, petrol and diesel, motor tax etc be recouped? Would it be possible that all these would then be lumped onto our sparkling clean electricity, along with another tax to maintain and develop all this new infrastructure?

we will always need to consume, work, and then of course theres taxation in related to wealth accumulation such as the value of property etc, i.e. theres plenty of opportunities for taxation in general.....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,987 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

So if the taxes are spread out over other essentials the actual cost of living won't go down. That was my point.

...no theres no guarantees that living costs will go down, in fact its looking likely they ll continue to rise, including in regards overall taxation, we clearly need to heavily invest in our most critical of needs, i.e. property, health care, major infrastructure etc etc, so id expect taxes to rise, but hopefully this will be offset by improvements in such.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭brickster69

It does not matter who fired the first shot, forget about Russia. You do not impose sanctions that put's at risk serious impacts on your citizens and businesses.

Russian gas is used in big industry because it is very powerful, if you fried an egg on it you would melt the frying pan. Glass furnaces have to keep running 24/7 for example if they are producing or not. if the supply stops they seize up never to work again. Thousands and thousands of businesses and millions of jobs associated with them.

Politicians should think about the impacts on it's people first and not the opposing party, that is their only job. It is either totally reckless or imcompetence or intentional. Could you imagine America doing something so stupid, Biden would be hanging from a tree by now.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭timmyntc

The more renewables we add to the grid, the more reliant we are on gas as spinning reserve for when the wind doesnt blow. This makes us very exposed to market gas pricing, seeing as we dont have much more supply of our own. (Corrib runs out in a few years, Ryan wont make a decision on Barryroe field)

If we were allowed to keep going with turf, coal, oil burning thermal plants we would be more shielded from gas prices, but thats not green enough - we must repent for our carbon sins! even if it means fuel poverty and brownouts

oh by god it does, and to forget about russia, i think thats what has lead us here! germany decided to simply ignore the the real treats from russia, but also played its part in inciting this outcome, there was simply no long term plan for energy independence, and now the sh1t is hitting the fan! i.e. part russian fault, but also part european, and germanys fault!

its was clearly obvious that this outcome was the most likely outcome, but we played a lets ignore the herd of elephants in the room, and it hasnt worked! its time for us once again to be big boys and girls, and grow up, its time to move away from fossil fuels, and to fully embrace the true alternatives, i.e. renewables and nuclear, period!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭brickster69

Germany knew the situation with it's reliance on Russian energy very well. Scholtz never had the balls to tell Biden to go and **** himself with Nord Stream 2 and also never had the balls to tell the EU to go and **** themselves also with these sanctions. This is what he should of done IMO.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

If he's a gobshite then we must all be gobshites otherwise how is he (and Owen Keegan) in a position to wind down our infrastructure and 'replace' it with a few bicycles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dorothylives

This time next year a lot of these places might be gone. I had to hang around somewhere for an hour yesterday and the only place to go was an American franchise place . It cost me 3.75 for a small flat white, it was nice but not the guts of 4 euro nice. I didn't bother eating anything as it was almost 6 euro for a sandwich and nearly 8 for a wrap. Absolutely taking the proverbial.

I got a flat white in McDonald's at the start of the year, again only because I had an hour to kill and it was somewhere to go, and it cost me around 2 euro. It was exactly the same as the 3.75 one I bought yesterday. Maybe I'm out of touch, as I said, I rarely use coffee shops but it just seems insane to me that a lot of people buy takeout coffees in these places most days and they're usually buying the large sizes. That's hundreds of euro a year on takeout coffee, it seems like a huge waste of money.

Which is why we are going to see an awful lot more coming here. My mother is waiting for surgery, she was supposed to have had it by April but the other day she got a letter asking if she still wanted the appointment. She's been waiting since last year to have this final part of her treatment done and every week she's waiting for a phone call or letter from the hospital so it looks like she's gonna be waiting a lot longer. Meanwhile the government is flying in Ukrainian citizens and soldiers who are going straight into hospital as soon as they get here.

I can't look at the Ukrainian facebook pages here, it makes me far too angry to see the crap that's going on. This government is firing money at people we've no obligation to and if I hear one more gobshite Irish politician refer to them as 'our Ukrainian friends' I might just scream. They are not our friends, they are not our responsibility.

The smartest thing that could have been done and should have been done was to round up every single person in Direct Provision who had lost their appeal and ship them back to where they came from. Then DP could have been used to house the Ukrainians. Sorry, but I honestly don't see a difference in one refugee and another. Give them DP accommodation and 38 euro a week, no more full state benefits, no more hotels and no more catered 3 meals a day and watch them leave the country.

Well unfortunately we never quite nailed the distinction between economic migrant v refugee. We have most “refugees” when given visa’s here and passports returning home on vacation.

the % of peoples income in sub Saharan Africa spend on food is much higher than here so we are going to see massive inward migration - include Afghanistan and Yemen and so on it’s going to be a real challenge l.

Then when you're ready to leave and have to go up to the counter to order food as you've been waiting so long and they tell you that they do table service. I don't really bother anymore. It's more hassle than it's worth. We used to go to a place for breakfast. We'd get tea but not coffee included in the price, then it jumped by 2 euro and then another 2 euro for exactly the same thing and we haven't been back for 6 months.

A local place is charging 1 euro more in the evening for the exact same food than it does during the day. Crazy stuff. I think at the moment people are just enjoying the freedom of indoor dining again, but I think it's time the government stopped subsidising them now. They are going to lose a lot of business because they're too expensive and it's time to stop throwing taxpayer money at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭dollylama

Surely Europe will have to fold to Russia before the winter comes. I see folks talking about offshore wind and renewables and while I'm sure this will happen, accelerated even by current events, it's years away and it does nothing for big industries reliant on gas and the thousands of businesses reliant on affordable diesel to function.

Rising electricity costs are nailing everyone at the moment but as I see it, there's scope here for government intervention, payment arrangements with suppliers, etc. But gas and more so, diesel are a different beast and there's a lot of small businesses about to go wallop.. either directly impacted by the cost of fuel they're purchasing or indirectly impacted by suppliers passing on outrageous cost increases on account of either gas shortage for their manufacturing or diesel increases for transport

I think a lot of support around Europe will evaporate as more and more ordinary Europeans struggle to pay for food, fuel and to heat their homes. Push comes to shove, blood is thicker than water and a vote is a vote. When people start to really feel the bite of the coming recession and inflation their politicians are going to get a serious amount of anger and resentment and we all know that ultimately, politicians look after themselves. As much as people hate what Putin is doing and what many Ukrainians are going through, they also hate poverty and struggle and I don't see many European voters being willing to go through this for a protracted amount of time. Once it's time to turn the heat on in homes the politicians are going to feel the heat of the electorates anger.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

people seem to forget that every single item in their houses and every single item they use was transported by a diesel truck at some point

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

ursula is still pushing on with her renewables agenda. look what they've told dutch farmers...either go green or give up and sell your farms...this in a midst of a food crisis! i wouldn't be surprised to see riots on the streets of EU countries this winter

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭dollylama

Indeed. What opened my eyes before the war in Ukraine even started was the impact high gas prices was having here.. fertiliser from the UK was stalled as the production plants became uneconomical to run and second, the co2 for food processing became scarce and expensive. This knocked onto farming and either directly or indirectly leaves food more expensive on the shelf. What's happened since with Russia/Ukraine has just turned all on it's head and we're now being told to expect a true food shortage!

We're in for an unprecedented winter.. f##cked on all fronts!

Instead of Leo banning oil and gas exploration off the West coast, he should be going cap in hand to international players and telling them drill to their hearts content!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

That’s why you have to have a very tough border and migration control. It’s the only way

Advertisement