Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It wasn't really seeded. Ukraine was a SSR of many opportunities and you'll meet quite a few Ukrainians who are Russian speakers that view it at home and have no interest in Moscow. The east was always more Russian anyway and the further west you go the less that influence becomes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

So why haven't Russia defeated Ukraine by now ?

At the current speed of the 'mighty' Russian army is going it will take them until 2094 to take all of Ukraine

I think the Russian army and economy are not as strong as u think comrade

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

It’s not as easy as that. NYT being very pessimistic this morning, reporting that Russia’s forces now able to focus on Donetsk. Ukraine still significantly outgunned and Russia can concentrate its forces in a way that it hasn’t really been able to do so far

From NYT banner story: “Western military analysts had expressed little doubt that Moscow would eventually prevail in the twin cities, but with their loss undeniable, pressure redoubled on the United States and its allies to get the more powerful weapons they have promised Ukraine to the front. For nations in the West, however, the next phase of the war will prove a test not just of military logistics but of solidarity. As the conflict drags on, their own citizens are feeling the economic pain, and unity among the allies may be difficult to sustain.”

The next phase will be the make or break phase of this war. NATO really needs to pick up the pace of supplies or Putin will steamroller Donetsk. But as said before, there are apparently really challenging supply and component issues right now in weapons manufacture, and US is unlikely to want to commit such that’s it’s own resources are depleted to an uncomfortable level

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

well now, if German had an LNG plant they would have a backup but alas they put all their eggs in the Russian basket. Now that Germany has seen the error of judgement they are planning to build one. The maintenance the Russian are talking about for mid-July sound like cobblers to me. Once that gas pipeline is off Europe will find a way to deal with things.

Dan.

• Advertisement

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The West, and in particular Americas, is the one thing they will not commit to Ukraine, massive air superiority. The reason they cant supply Ukraine with huge amounts of artillery is because they don't have it, Their doctrine was that air power delivers those big bangs. As long as Ukraine are fighting a war that plays to Russia doctrine they are going to have a tough time.

I note the Slovakia are sneding 12 Mig-29s to Ukraine now

• Registered Users Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

You are mixing up Genghis khan with Tamerlane the Great. GK and the Mongal Horde was the late 1100's into the early 1200's. It was his death in 1227 that stopped the Mongal's in there tracts. The Horde was divided and did not unify again until the leadership of Kublai Khan who was more interested in conquering China.

Tammerlane was a Turko/Mongal leader from Uzbekistan who conquered Afghanistan, Iran Iraq and parts of the Ottoman empire. Again it was his death that prevented the continual invasion of Europe.

The ottomans themselves were defeated at Vienna and Lepanto.

Slava Ukrainii

More problematic news from the Ukraine. I don't know myself what the Armed Forces of the Ukraine can do in the est right now. I still think they can turn it around over the next 3 months. Once the winter sets in Russia will not be able to do much and the real guts and brawn operation of driving out Russia can begin. Air support and long-range systems are essential for that big push.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,204 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I think even then they could best be described as the less bad guys. Some estimates say that up to 20 million died under Stalin. So it's not like the soviets were the good guys.

• Advertisement

The disconnect here is huge, but good insight into Russian thinking though.

Do you really think the Climate crises is going to take precedence over a Russian invasion where they are targeting civilians, raping and pillaging, with ambitions to go further. Sorry, Greta... it aint. Russian is a pariah for the West - who are they going to sell nuclear plants to? Eritrea ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

If wet ground and the cold were supposedly impediments to the Russian invasion, would it not work the same way against the Ukrainians looking to advance & recapture their territories?

Winter would mean offensive actions are more difficult for both sides, the idea that the seasons change and the Ukrainians suddenly switch into 5th gear seems more like blind optimism than based in reality

There's loads of western countries that build nuclear reactors. They're all across europe. It's not like it's hidden technology.

There's american companies developing modular reactors. Small ones that can be dotted around a city. And the Chinese are working on thorium reactors.

The Russians don't have any new technology. The majority of their existing reactors were built during soviet times and a lot are of a similar model to the one that blew up at Chernobyl.

BTW, that article says that

There were 439 nuclear reactors in operation around the globe in 2021, and 38 of them were in Russia, an additional 42 were made with Russian nuclear reactor technology, and 15 more under construction at the end of 2021 were being built with Russian technology.

That's not a huge amount. It also states that there's other places that build reactors, France, USA, Korea, China etc...

And even if you have a russian made reactor, you can get maintenance from other places.

The only bottleneck in that article is uranium enrichment.

The reason Russia waited was because most of their forces were mechanized. There were tanks etc that couldn't move as well through soggy ground. That would mean that the Russian forces won't be as maneuverable during the coming winter.

Ukraine doesn't have that many tanks. And the way the war has been going, it's turned into an artillery slogging match. And the Russians have far more artillery than Ukraine. So they just bombard Ukrainian positions and move forward. It's slow, but it works.

However NATO standard artillery has a longer range than the Russian stuff. So with NATO resupplying Ukraine with better, longer ranged and more accurate artillery and rockets, when winter comes, Ukraine will be able to hit Russians without getting hit back. And because the Russian tanks won't be as maneuverable, they'll be easier targets.

The NATO artillery units don't have to be together, they can be tens of miles from each other and they can target remotely. So you pick a spot to hit and all the artillery stops, sets up, and 10 minutes later they bombard that spot. Then packs up and moves before Russians can hit them. The artillery can fire multiple rounds per minute so they can effectively cover an area with shells.

So at that point, the balance of the war shifts towards Ukraine. And they follow the russian tactics of a slow slog forward.

Of course, that's just two dimensions. It's not including Airforces or any other number of variables, but I'm assuming that's what the poster you were quoting meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,059 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

It's interesting to watch this thread and whilst being aware on one's own inherent biases, to see patterns in how others present arguments. No doubt at all in my mind, but that there are some carefully crafted posts here, designed to subtly undermine the Ukrainian situation by appealing to Irish citizen concerns over war induced inflation etc. Give people something to believe in and split the opposition etc.

Not surprising. They've had great successes in the past, such as Brexit, Trump and the rise of the far right (agitation in the West)... their traditional methods of warfare have gone to pot, but Russia do seem to be pouring their money into a James Bond like plot to influence the world through SM.... "Russia is not Enough"?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,516 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I'm seeing a huge amount of pushback as well though. The vast legions of Putin bots and Russian propagandists on social media are frequently called out and strongly challenged, something that was rarely happening pre-invasion. Their efforts to promote the regime worked much better in peacetime and are less suited to war.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

• Advertisement

I did mean to add, before I went off on a James Bond theme... that I think there'll be diminishing returns for them. They had huge success when people didn't realise it was a thing. Now, people (some at least) are more aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

It's an odd line of argument ZenNature engages in on here as well. He mocks EU countries for "sending money to Russia", and also says sanctions are useless and just hurt us and don't affect Russia. However more money for hydrocarbons (and worse, technology + dual use exports that can be turned on Ukraine) would be flowing into Russia were trade continuing as normal. I don't think that is going to help us here in Europe, given Russia's aims? They don't end with Ukraine IMO.

So he has no bananas and is just hawking demoralisation. When you try to persuade people that our political leaders are wrong, there's no point taking any economic actions against Russia, and also suggest no solutions or alternatives, that's all it is.

As I've said before a focus of trolls on reducing public support for sanctions with such messages, the occasional bursts of fury and frustration coming from Russia's leadership (I think Medvedev and Putin have described these sanctions as "acts of war" on Russia by the US/EU), Russia's wheedling with the UN & non Western countries, trying to use their hold on grain exports to pressure/bully the West to get them lifted...that all tells the real story of negative effects these sanctions have + will have on Russia.

How am I (and some others) “undermining the Ukrainian situation” by suggesting that the war is not completely going Ukraine’s way, and there will likely be challenges with western solidarity and cost and weapons shipments (something many military experts are saying). Do you just want a ‘Ukraine is ultimately going to kick Russia’s ass’ echo chamber?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Best of luck to Ukraine but the sound track to that and the Eurovision song are Fuckin horrendous.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,059 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

No and I wasn't thinking of your posts particularly. There are equally gung ho posts for Ukraine. The truths lie somewhere else I guess. But sometimes you can perceive a subtle line of reasoning in some posters contributions, to sow half truths and seeds of division. Whether these are just ordinary folk or paid propagandists I have no idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,516 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The long term outlook for the war and for Russian politics is actually extremely difficult to predict. Even the likes of NATO and Pres. Biden are saying that they don't really know how long the war will last and how it will end, just that it won't end in Putin taking Kyiv and all of Ukraine.

Those who are saying that Ukraine will 'win' the war are not specifying how long this will take or what victory would even look like. In truth, nobody really knows what the next year or two hold. The war might still be underway or long over, who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Polar101

I'm pretty grateful my grandfathers both fought the Soviets in WW2 so I didn't have to live in a communist state. The Soviets weren't the good guys in every part of Europe.

As Grayson has already given a good enough answer I will add my voice to that. Ukraine is set up for modern warfare and Russia is basically doing it WW2 style. Once Russia gets bogged down, like when the invasion started, they will find things much harder to do anything. That's why Putin is in such a rush to force the Russian army to get moving despite all the losses their army is suffering. Russia can not sit and wait. Come September Ukraine will have much better mobility and hopefully air support. without air support, things could be very messy for them on the ground. With Ukraine jets in the air, Russian ground units will lose all confidence and look for an exit. Especially conscripts and young men. With no Ukraine air support they [Russia] will dig in and that's where it gets messy. Ukrainian choppers and jets in the air will have a very important psychological effect. The Ukraine must also make sure Russia cannot regroup or resupply when the push takes place.

Dan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭rogber

Indeed. A lot can still happen and it would be great if Ukraine can ultimately emerge victorious. Unfortunately the only thing certain is more suffering and destruction along the way, where it all ends up time will tell

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement