Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Company that installed Limescale Removal Device destroyed my floor and kitchen

Options
  • 04-07-2022 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 29

1. I have a brand new house (20 months old) in Dublin but washing machine started to smell from limescale and limescale built up on showers
    2. I did some research online and decided to get a limescale removal device installed from an Irish company based in Galway. The reviews were good and they seemed legit etc.
    3. A guy from the company came to install it and it seemed to be working. He made me sign a document saying there was no leaks and everything was working (I later regretted this).
    4. After a day the toilets and taps stopped working in the house. We think he forgot to turn something back on
    5. He came back to the house and fixed it but was tinkering around for about an hour trying to figure it out. He immediately blamed the plumbing system in the house but it was obvious he didn't have a clue what he was doing. Total cowboy.
    6. The next day I noticed my kitchen floor was soggy. I opened up the unit and the plumbing he had installed caused a leak. We are not too sure when it started. Note: Even he didn't see it the second time he called back to the house!
    7. The guy called back again and fixed the leak. (This is his third visit). He admitted to me and my housemate that it was a faulty part he had installed and he told me "Don't tell head company about this"
    8. My floors are destroyed and the island in my kitchen is warped (we dried kitchen out best we could)
    9. I called/emailed the company and have been trying to get in contact with them but they are not replying to me
    10. Their only reply was a copy of the contract I had signed to say there was no leaks in 3. above. They didn't even acknowledge the issue.

I have documented all of my interactions with them and took before/after pictures of the leak and part he installed to fix the leak. I have sent them all of this also and they are not acknowledging it. My housemate also witnessed the guy telling us it was his fault.

I am looking for advice on how to approach this. Should I contact my solicitor directly? They are clearly at fault and not taking any responsibility.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

Court go for the juggler

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭POBox19

What a nightmare. I'd talk to your home insurers and arrange to get the repairs done first. The insurance company should be able to advise you on how to proceed, or even take the case for you as they will want their money back too. Otherwise line up your solicitor to process a claim for the cost of the repairs.

Good thing you kept records of the interactions with the installer, so it should be easy to pursue the case. The document signed after the initial installation could not possibly cover the subsequent events.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

Why would you be getting your home insurance to resolve it?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 irishguy1012

My home insurance doesn't cover issues caused by tradesmen and the fault is 100% the companies so I wouldn't feel right claiming home insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭raxy

Don't forget to leave Google & Facebook reviews about your experience. You'd be surprised how helpful companies can become after you leave a public review!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭ThreeGreens

Yes, for me, home insurance would be the last options. Don't want to lose no claims bonus (they have those now on insurance policies).

I wouldn't worry about the the no leaks. There were no leaks at the time, because he hadn't turned the water back on! If the water isn't turned on, there can't be any leak! That's why he had to come back out the first time.

If no job on initial contact, I'd be calling my solicitor.

I think I'd give them one final email or call, telling them if they aren't back to you by Thursday with a resolution, that you'll be making contact with your solicitors (name the solicitor if you know which one you're going to use).

The company are all over social media. Very strong online presence. I am going to refrain posting anything incase there is legal action. I will though once the issue is resolved. I will mention this to them in my next communication.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,423 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If you respond to one of their posts on social media with your experiences, they will simply take the post down (along with your comments) and immediately repost it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,423 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

As the OP has stated, home insurance doesn't cover this. For example, the FBD policy specifically excludes..

Any loss or damage caused by faulty workmanship or design, or the use of faulty materials, or loss or damage resulting from them.

A home policy covers accidental damage caused by an 'insurable event'. Which precludes wear that happens over time (e.g. rusty pipe, leaking shower tray) and a botched repair or installation.

I think with Google they can't. But I would buy something similar to their domain so it shows up in Google searches and post about my experience. I'm cold like that.

Post edited by irishguy1012 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭jimf

i would send pictures attached to an email for att of original person of contact you had

with the strict instruction that you will be handing this matter over to your solicitor within 7 days

might be no harm to have a proof of delivery and reading of said email for future ref

also just contact your insurance co for advice

Limescale smell? Limescale shower?

20 years im living in a super hardwater area and only "issue" is element in kettle sometimes needs a bit of vinegar.

Calgon my hole.

And you have to buy filters off these cowboys now? Does this device at least take all the crap irish water add in?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Take my advice OP. Hand it over to your solicitor.

I had a workman come out to repair a dishwasher (it was in guarantee as part of new house, so it was the kitchen installers subcontractor).

The next day the kitchen was flooded. The chap came back and claimed that my descaler waste pipe was loose and had been like that when he arrived (he even took photos to prove it). He did me a "favour" and clipped it back into place. Of course, he had f*cked up, and was protecting himself. Cheeky sod.

I emailed back and forth with the kitchen installer (who were sympathetic) and their subcontractor company (who were not). Two weeks went by, sopping wet kitchen floor.

After a while I was worried that the floors would get mouldy (I have two asthmatics at home) so I had them taken up and replaced but took lots of photos AND got a local insurance assessor out before and after, so I could prove the level of damage.

I got onto my solicitor, told her to take care of the whole thing. Basically the solicitor did the job. Got the repair work paid for (couple of grand), and her own fee paid for (3 x 250 euro letters) plus the assessor paid for (80 I think).

• Registered Users Posts: 33,499 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Can companies get bad reviews taken down?

Only ask because I left a 1 star review for a local car dealer after some dreadful customer service, and when I checked a few weeks later, it was gone.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,577 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Lucky you, you got a good solicitor! I got a solicitor for a fukup job too, and I was told by the solicitor, after paying them "Don't antagonize the contractor" (PM me for further details if you want)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,499 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Advertisement