Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Science Supports Trans People - Here is why

Options
12345679»

Comments

99.5% of the population are not trans-.

They are either biologically male or female or identify as such (no matter what genes say).

That is not a spectrum of any kind.

Similarly with autism we see only a small proportion of people impacted but we still use the term spectrum to describe them.

I don't accept the term spectrum in that case either; it's a social construction and labelling people on the basis that we believe a "norm" exists to compare them against. I think it's very damaging, actually, to teach people that there is something wrong with them when, in fact, they are perfectly healthy people who don't need a label like that smashed across their forehead. But that's a separate debate for another thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Shoog

The world and medicine does not care what you accept. Autism and gender are a spectrum.

Wave your fist all you like, that fact isn't changing.

The world and medicine does not care what you accept.

In the 1970s, the same medicine and DSM proclaimed homosexuality to be a mental disorder.

Proponents of that nutty conclusion would have said what you've just said, "the world and medicine does not care about what you accept".

They really don't have a good history at getting things right, especially with matters related to the mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

If a school was telling my 5 year old boy that he might be a girl or can be a girl if he wants I'd be pulling him out of there straight away.

They wised up and dropped their prejudice based diagnosis, maybe there is a lesson for you there.

Some things develop but some people never will. Your skating on very thin ice here.

• Advertisement

You accept that medicine (and psychiatry / psychology in particular) is not infallible, then?

That's my whole point to begin with.

So pointing to medicine and saying, "...that's right because Medicine said so", is a logical fallacy (argumentum ad verecundiam).

I do not accept your inference, medicine does evolve but it rarely devolves in the way you would like it to.

On the contrary, anyone who argues that biological sex is interchangeable is the one who is undermining medicine.

Not just medicine.

But logic, reality, biology, physiology, genetics, human history, evolution, and much more besides.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Why is being trans such a f**king issue? What's with the countless threads?

Wanna know the harsh reality of life? No one gives a bollocks. You could drop dead in the street and no one would care. So no one cares if you're trans or gay or whatever.

No one cares if "science supports trans" but like most threads on boards it's all hot air.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭briangriffin

That's some statement how does karyotyping prove that sex is a spectrum or that trans people are biologically the opposite sex? What studies are you referencing that prove sex is a spectrum in humans? What new science is this??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭plodder

I suppose the idea is based on the fact that there are variations in the normal XX and XY karyotype, such as XXX and XXY. The mistake is to assume these variations represent other sexes though. They don't, as XXX is clearly female and XXY is clearly male. There are ambiguous exceptions, like people with androgen insensitivity or the woman in that Nature article, who has both male and female cells in her body but cases like that are incredibly rare and you can't really describe them as other sexes. They are exceptions to the normal binary rule.

And the fact that the majority of these exceptions do not identify as trans- to begin with.

Again I will repeat the basis for this line of argument is to say that there can only be two distinct genders based up your birth sex. It's a direct attempt to delegitimise the lived experience of people who have undergone gender reassigent and to slam the door in the face of those planning to do so in the future.

It's a direct attack on trans people's lives.

To "delegitimise" their experiences would have to be legitimised in the first place (which they haven't). The whole point of the discussion is that their experiences in gender reassignment do not constitute what they desire them to be.

There is no effort to slam the door in the face of those wanting to reassign in the future. They can do so within the existing limitations within society. We've simply no interest in making it easier for them to do so, nor to promote it for others to avail of.

Love the melodrama. It's not a direct attack on Trans peoples lives. It's not even an indirect attack on their lives. Their lives aren't threatened even slightly. Simply that they have not gained acceptance for their choices, especially when it involves people other than themselves. And that it shouldn't be extended to minors.

Which is not any kind of threat on their lives. You do a really good job at showing just how unreasonable Trans advocates are, when you come out with exaggerated crap like this.

Shoog, I'm curious. Would you identify as Trans? Have you transitioned? Reassigned your gender?

Considering your posts so far to the thread, I seriously doubt you're homosexual, or bisexual/pansexual.. so you'd be heterosexual? Asexual?

It would be helpful for the rest of us to know whether your advocacy is personal, or whether you're simply an advocate with no personal experience of any of this. (Although I doubt you'll answer)

It's none of your business. I advocate because I believe in equality nothing more. I know of trans people personally and I know of their struggles and I empathize with them.

A systemic lack of empathy is one of the defining qualities of people on the right, a "my way or the highway attitude".

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭sekiro

Hm.

Can you identify some of the points on this spectrum?

Obviously we all know there is Male and Female at either end. We've talked enough about trans-men and trans-women and I assume the goal of transition is to go from one end of the spectrum to the other? I would say that "non-binary" doesn't really count as creating a distinction between "binary" and "non-binary" is in itself a binary.

So can you name a few of the landmark points on the spectrum? How many are there?

Why don't we just refer to males and females when it comes to medical terminology or situations regarding private spaces etc? So a person can be a male but they socially identify as a "woman". Then obviously they can't compete in female sports because they are male. People with genetic disorders etc would fall under the umbrella of intersex and as such cases are so rare we can just deal with that as it arises?

Is it possible to have a biological sex that changes depending on the configuration of the night sky? So one could be male at midnight but female at noon and let's say non-binary when there is a full moon? Or would that be a gender rather than a biological sex? What would you call that?

Most people are now neutral or supportive of trans people - so it seems that your are the hold out against social acceptance. Again by trying to define the parameters of the debate you try to force your biases onto everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭sekiro

Not really. Most people simply don't understand or are curious.

When hard questions are asked and then avoided or answered in an even more confusing fashion then this just breeds suspicion.

As far as acceptance goes? I always think about the poor lads out there who genuinely identify as attack helicopters but they face a lifetime of abuse and hatred from their own community because the far right got in there and claimed "attack helicopter" as their one trans joke. Where is the acceptance for them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭briangriffin

You cannot make up science to somehow legitimise a person's life. Your white Knighting is hurting people who suffer from gender dysphoria and for whom the only cure is to undergo sex reassignment. There are plenty of trans people who want nothing to do with the current idelogical movement. Self ID has not helped these people.

What you are attempting to do is rewrite science to fit your narrative. Science does not support sex being a spectrum. So why would you argue it is? It's an attempt to blur the lines of sex and confuse and indoctrinate people especially young people into the idea that they can be born with a wrong brain in the wrong body and that science says this. Its an attempt to scientifically support the policy of affirmative care that has pervaded since one study the Dutch protocol was as I have referenced above misinterpreted. If 90% of children suffering from gender dysphoria desist why would affirmative care be so pervalent ?

Why would so many whistle blowers resign in protest at what was going on in tavistock? And why were all of these people called bigots and transphobes? If tavistock had over 9000 young people through their doors why not research and track their progress to ensure the untested policy they have taken is helping these vulnerable patients?

If science supported this then we could just karotype/gene test all trans patients and they would have DSDs or the opposite sex chromosomes to their sex organs. Here's one study https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6083207/#!po=34.7458 that karyotype tested gender dysphoric children out of 128 patients one had a DSD abnormality the rest were genetically congruent with their physical sex. Science does not support sex as spectrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭UID0

Most people are too preoccupied with themselves to give any consideration to trans issues. It's a concept most people don't understand, and if there are any questions asked, there are a vocal minority who will shout that it's transphobic to ask any questions, that asking questions is automatically a sign of hate, when it's actually an attempt to determine if anybody else's rights or freedoms are being infringed by trans rights. The same sex marriage referendum passed overwhelmingly because there were questions asked, and it could be seen by the majority that there was absolutely no infringement on anybody else's rights. It is only by asking questions that the general public can see how much/little is being asked. In both cases, there are some who have deep-seated feelings motivated by religious or other reasons, that it is "wrong", but most people are motivated by potential impacts on society.

The autism spectrum does not include neurotypical individuals or those who are neuro-diverse in other ways. For gender, it would be more appropriate to only consider those who are not at ease with their assigned gender as part of a spectrum. Also, before a person is accepted as being on the autism spectrum, there are a number of tests performed by qualified medical professionals to rule out other conditions that could be mistaken for ASD. Trans advocates want self identification to be sufficient for a person to socially transition from one gender to the other. This means that a person has had no medical evaluation to ensure that there are no underlying mental health issues, and to ensure they are making the correct decision for themselves, and that there isn't some treatment that is more appropriate for them. Also, by allowing people to self identify and then giving them access to what should be single-sex safe spaces it can reduce the access that is available to those who are not transgender. An example of this from the UK is here (Woman suing rape charity over transgender row - BBC News) where a woman who was raped did not feel comfortable at a sexual assault victims support group because there was a transwoman present who "presented as typically male, wearing male clothing".

This is before we get to questions about if changing language meanings is important, or if it is something that should be given any consideration, or if an argument in favour of transgender rights is actually reinforcing gender stereotypes, and if society in general would be a better place if we instead break down gender stereotypes. The question on legal recognition of gender becomes one on if gender should have any impact on how an individual is treated by the state, or if there is only a legitimate discrimination on the basis of biology.

Can we see some evidence of this? A variety of polls will do.. As for my biases, I'm far more neutral than you are.. as I'm interested in maintaining the status quo until we know more about the long-term effects of these theories on both society, and the individual. Alas my bias is unreasonable because I don't want to jump off the cliff, without checking if there's water to break my fall.. whereas you want to jump regardless of the dangers/risks involved.

Except you are pushing the "my way or the high way". You've shown zero interest in proposing any compromises, and have responded aggressively or in a judgmental manner to any reasonable points.

As for your orientation, grand. Now I know where you're coming from. Completely external to the actual cause you promote. Which isn't an attempt to discredit you... just clears things up.

Advertisement