Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas price to rise by 39% and Electric by 27% in April.

18910111214»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭Deub

Tbh it is not really better for petrol…

Twice 20+% for gas is a lot. Where will it stop?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Be better to go to the Canaries or the like for the Winter months. But there's that darned Standing Charge even if NOTHING is switched on.

Anyway, might look into a spell abroad November or January. There might still be bills here, but at least the sun might be shining and the beer and vino are cheapo. Must look in the piggy bank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Bollox to that - it's not complicated. These companies are either:

1) only signing on enough customers relative to the % of renewable energy being generated.

• i.e. If we average out at 36% of all electricity coming from wind turbines - then Airtricity (along with any other electricity company claiming to be 100% renewable) cannot realistically breach that share of the electricity market.
    • If that is not the case, then they are 100% false advertising.

2) Running with the hares and chasing with the hounds. At a time when they over generate their average they sell this as a premium and make a sweet profit, and when they under-generate they pass the loss onto household bills.

There is nothing complicated about this at all - you're Airtricity you win-win either ways.

Finally - where the royal fcuk are the EU in all of this? These ba$tards should have price capped every litre of diesel, petrol and unit of electricity all across the EU at this stage. Currently, diesel at €1.30 per litre in Hungary, even less at €1.21 in Malta suggests there is room to price cap all across the EU and not have suppliers and forecourts take a hit. We're supposed to be a market of ~450 million and we can't collectively force the hand of suppliers?

If we can't do that, then what is the fcuking point of the EU - they're not looking after the EU citizen one bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭combat14

thats a very good point - be worth eu looking at bulk buying fuel as a block vs individual countries at this stage perhaps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,443 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Far as I can make out the EU exists to represent corporate and NGO interests- the very last thing it’s interested in is protecting the interests of ordinary Europeans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

They put the EU flag in Ukraine though job sorted.

Give over with that "be worth the EU looking at it" shyte. The EU have had price-spike warnings in relation to energy prices in the past. They've had a decade at least to come up with policy and to come up with something - but they've done fookin nuthin. Fook them, ba$stards one and all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,443 ✭✭✭✭road_high

They’ve piled on costs with their airy fairy green deal crap and left the continent badly exposed in terms of energy security

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Any reason why the fuel mix has renewables at a much lower percentage than wind generated?

Almost as if all that green energy is priced the same as the most expensive part of the mix. They did a windfall tax. Low behold Energy prices have gone through the roof.

• Advertisement

Utilise the wind energy during the night.

It's the ultimate pi$$ing down the backs on ordinary folk and telling them they're sweating.

There will be massive pushback.

Then they'll wonder how European style Trumps surge to power - but their weasel responses will be that we're all racists, misogynists and supremacists for doing so in response to their ambivalence. It's like it's on a damn neon-sign but they choose to look away.

I think your being sarcastic not sure. But the wind blows when the wind blows. To little or to much wind no generation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭Snugbugrug28

Must say there's good reason to have heating supplied by air to water heat source. One standing charge in the house instead of two, electricity not rising as much as gas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Some great comments above save some for the winter when laughing will help keep us warm.

If you go to eirgrid dashboard and look at a 24 hour profile. When energy demand goes down in the night time the wind generated takes a near parallel line.

Just noticed on eirgrid dashboard. Wind is lower today compared to yesterday. Yet renewables in the fuel mix is 30% today and 30% yesterday.

Post edited by YFlyer on

It would help if the demands were even close to realistic

its always the way with these things. The demands are so off the wall that the whole thing is compromised as a result. And can be easily ignored

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

We were with Iberdola for gas and electricity. We were under contract the last 4 months at a low rate of approx 6.5 for 12 months. They left and pawned us off the Bord Gais for gas and EI for electricity. Guess what, the low rate I signed up for is gone up to 9.5 and I cannot switch for 3 months. How did they get away wit this, I't doesn't take a legal expert to see they broke several laws of contract with acceptance being the most obvious one, absolutely scandalous.

I called and complained and they said that sitting was not an option no other provider would take me until Sept 1st but that I could sign up to them for a year, again scandalous carry on holding you to ransom with a high rate unless you sign for them. I was fuming, told them to stick their 12 month contract where the sun don't shine, I'll be switching when I can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Are you sure the rate of 9.5 that you quote is the low rate? It is my understanding that those transferred from Iberdrola are put on the standard unit charge & to get a discounted rate you have to contact EI & BGE to sign up to their discounted rate on a 12 month contract. If you don't do that then you will remain on the relevant standard unit rate for 90 days. In my opinion it is a stupid policy but it is what the CRU mandated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

The guy on the phone told me is was 9.5 or something around that. It's the forcing people into a 3 month contract that annoyed me, I'm a switcher, every year I set a reminder on my phone and I spend a few hours making the switch or negotiating a new contract for gas, electricity, phones etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

Back to the immersion for heating the water.

What bugs me is that, for internet/tv/phone, if the provider makes a change you're able to leave a contract.

Why are energy utilities not in this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,269 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I presume because your not signing up to a fixed price, only a fixed discount rate. I'm glad I fixed our electricity supply in work for 12 months - 3 months ago, looking a good decision now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Yes the discount rate isn't changing so the provider could treble the cost without breaching the contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,996 ✭✭✭bren2001

I see Flogas have announced their price increases:

"From 19 August, its prices for gas will rise by 24.1%, while the increase for electricity is 9.8%.

Standing charges for both gas and electricity will not be increased."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,826 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Good god

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Price rises and plans in place for rationing. Don't you just know it's going to be a winter that will make the beast from the East look balmy!

Advertisement