Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wimbledon 2022

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,525 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Sunday play is a permanent thing from now on, the organisers say they no longer need a day to repair the courts as the surface is now more resilient.

The winners/runners-up still plays 7 matches in the exact time-frame as before, so I think 'causing havoc' is an exaggeration.

This schedule is fairer to the players in that more of them get to play their last 16 games on Centre/One. Previously all 16 games (8M, 8W) in the 4th round were played on Monday, so 10 of the games were on outside courts.

The prevalence of night games is something that has happened because of match length increases, not because of any scheduling change. Afaik there was always 3 games scheduled for each court each day. So far they haven't gone down the French Open route of specifically scheduling a late game and selling separate tickets.

Undeniably it's good for TV stations (and an extra day of ticket sales) but that doesn't mean it's a bad thing. I'm delighted to see more games at the business end.

#Timwasrobbedlastgametwocalled'OUT'werein

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Very strange, 2 shots so close to the base line and he didn't challenge either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,373 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Djokovic has well and truly kicked into gear now!

Djokovic was peckish for an evening bagel but will have to dine on a breadstick instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Just catching up on scores now. Alcaraz flatters to deceive again.

Djokovic should do the business from here.

Tim's backhand has largely imploded

Djokovic most certainly doesn't want to be mooching around waiting to resume a match tomorrow

Djokovic versus Sinner...should be interesting.

Neither of them are seeded.

Kyrgios has a better world ranking currently than Nakashima. 45 versus 54.

I don't think any need for the mongrel comment personally.

De Minaur on top early versus Garin...not shocked at that tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Bit hard on Alcaraz there - he's just 19 and was obviously both learning and fighting hard as that match went on. Which is all you can ask. Scoreline is deceptive, a bit here & there and he could have taken that to 5 sets easily. It was a very competitive match as it went on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭anglesorangles

I dont think the scoreline was deceptive tbh, Sinner was miles better in first 2 sets , 0 breaks vs 4. Alcaraz did well to take a set, i agree though hes very young and still looks the top prospect in mens tennis. But recent losses to Sinner and Zverev might mean he wont be a dominant Grand slam winner, we could be looking at 5 as opposed to the near 15 plus people originally thought. Who knows though hes literally turned 19 could win 30 lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Just tuning in

Any predictions on when krygios will kick off

That Croatian Martic has more the classical tennis physique that you would expect a la Graf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

the bbc commentary sound like they want krygios to misbehave - odd

Weird

They probably see which way the wind is blowing, krygios has a cult following there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,656 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Garin staging quite the comeback against De Minaur, having been 5-5 and break point down in the 3rd.

Can't say I'm familiar with either, but it's a great match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Sinner is just a year older at 20, so he's not exactly experienced at this level either.

The scoreline does tell the tale of the match imo. Sinner completely dominated a lot of the rallies, Alcaraz was lucky to get a set on a tie-break, and he failed to convert a single break point in the match. If he lost to Nadal or Djokovic, it would be understandable, and you could cut him some slack, but loosing to one of his peers in this fashion ensures I won't believe the hype just yet.

I dunno - Sinner has been around a bit more I think. I've certainly seen him before at this level. He was fairly rattled in the fourth set, tight enough. Hyping up Alcaraz is a bit ridiculous but you'd have to think that if he stays fit and as hungry as he looked last night, that we'll be seeing a lot more of him.

They have the TV rights.

Plenty of people who don't have an interest in or clue about tennis are watching because the controversies on the spitting and the other match are all over the news pushing the ratings up.

The commentators said that themselves about ten minutes ago

• Advertisement

I thought De Minaur would win this one...into a 5th set now. Good match!

I'd say De Minaur thought he had it all sewn up as well!

They both look knackered, making silly mistakes - it'll be about who can keep going a bit better for a bit longer now.

Tie break in final set between Garin and De Minaur. The match has had everything!

What a comeback by Garin!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,243 ✭✭✭Xander10

what a game. One of those where you feel for whoever loses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭josip

Speaking of the tennis, one of the (few) leaves I wish some other players would take from Kyrgios' book is how quickly he gets through his service game. None of that bouncy, bouncy, bouncy, bouncy, bouncy, bouncy, bouncy, bouncy or picky, picky, picky, picky, picky, picky, picky, picky, picky.

• Advertisement

Can't watch today as working but I read that our man has a shoulder injury today after losing the first set, but has managed to keep striking the ball cleanly and now has turned the tables. All in the playbook I guess and a tactic well used by others to break things up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,243 ✭✭✭Xander10

just switched over to see him bounce the ball NINE times before serve. Maybe I was unlucky.

But I do agree, he seem to play at a proper tempo that more should.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

He had it vey early in to the first set. Struggling badly on backhand particularly, he had a couple of sessions of painkillers and massage.

Impressive comeback from Garin.

Thought he was gone.

Fritz is going through easily so far so Kyrgios is the last Australian in the men's draw

What is Kyrgios at?

Threw away a service game there

Advantage surely for Hakahima to serve first in the fifth

• Advertisement

Krygios imploding

Really impressive, shame for De Minaur he has been so impressive really impressed me in the win against Jack Draper

Well Kyrgios is going through here.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭al87987

The Helen Lovejoy pearl clutching around Kyrgios is a bit OTT. There's a reason they stuck him on centre today and it's because he's a draw/crowd favourite. Love him or hate him most people have an opinion on him.

I find him a much better watch than most players and his speed of play should be commended.

A lot of people have an opinion on Trump also.

Kyrgios for all the talk of him, at 27, a quarter-final at a slam is the furthest he has ever got in his tenth year on tour.

Seven and a half years ago was his last one, now he has made it to a quarter final again.

He's far better known for the antics, spitting and cursing at people, creating umpire arguments out of nothing, arguing with people in the crowd, insulting other players and meltdowns than actually winning tennis matches and tournaments.

He should get to a semi-final here this year.

The Covid withdrawals of three of the best grass-court players on that half of the draw coupled with the Top Russians being out has definitely helped him.

He would have been facing last years finalist and double grass-court tournament winner in the last few weeks Berrettini (Covid) next, instead of unseeded Chilean Garin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Kyrgios for all the talk of him, at 27, a quarter-final at a slam is the furthest he has ever got in his tenth year on tour.

Seven and a half years ago was his last one, now he has made it to a quarter final again.

He's far better known for the antics, spitting and cursing at people, creating umpire arguments out of nothing, arguing with people in the crowd, insulting other players and meltdowns than actually winning tennis matches and tournaments.

you know he kinda reminds me of Quentin Hann in the snooker another Australian bellend who used to misbehave from time to time and never won a tournament just a journeyman in it for the money only

Nadal having a fairly easy time of it against Van De Zandschulp

But as I typed that, VDZ has broken him for 1-0 in the 3rd..... can he hold on to the break for a full set though?? I can't see it (but hope he does!)

Didn't even manage to hold onto it for 1 game 🙄

And after that brief lead, Nadal now looks like someone saying "blow it up ref, we're done here, time for home".

Steamrolling him now.

But has lost his serve to 15......

Now, can VDZ hold on to the break this time???

I've never seen anyone as zen playing a match on centre court as this guy!

• Advertisement

Might be a facile question for serious tennis followers. But as someone who takes an interest in Wimbledon and to a lesser extent the French Open but has fond memories of days spent watching McEnroe, Becker, Graf, Navratilova, Edberg and co...is serve and volley just completely dead and buried?

Did you see John Isner playing this tournament - he has a big serve and was coming in behind it often enough. As for others, you do see it as a tactic to break up / change up the game a bit. Otherwise players seem too wary of the return of serve now and that they'll be passed. My take on it anyway.

Not quite sure he believed anymore in himself in that third set though. So kinda resigned to his fate and then picked it up a bit as a result. Thought he hit towards centre of court a bit much, so Nadal wasn't really needing to move much, whereas Nadal was making him run. For a man with a supposedly gammy foot, that'd surely be one way to knock the bunny out of him. Mind you, he'd be sweating so much then that serves could take even longer!

in terms of people winning slams yes it's gone.

serve and volley as a tactic is used by a lot of players but sparingly.

Not counting the servebot beanpoles, Maxine Cressy would be the highest frequency and truest current exponent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

***Did anyone spot the 'Paddy' during the kyrgios vs nakashima game today??*

he was wearing an Offaly GAA shirt 😙

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭trashcan

When they were showing the grand slam stats before Nadals match this evening I was genuinely surprised at how far Djokovic Nadal and Federer are ahead of the rest in terms of titles. Next best is Sampras back on 14 to Nadals 22 and Feder/Djokovic on 20. Has the standard of the men’s game slipped that Much in the last 15 or so years, or are those 3 just that exceptional that they are so far ahead of the rest ? Was the overall field stronger in the 70’s 80’s and 90’s so the titles were spread out between more players ?

I’d be a casual watcher at best, just Wimbledon really, and even that I haven’t seen a whole lot of in the last few years, mainly just the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭Augme

The biggest difference is the longevity that players can go now a days. The advancement is sports science is huge compared to the 70s, 80 and 90s. Born borg was 25 when he won his last slam, sampras was 30. Novak and Nadal could be nearly 40 when they win their last.

It's very difficult to compare players from the generations. I do think in the last five years the standard outside the top three has been poor and this has really helped the big two maintain their dominance.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,545 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Hi everyone, I had to delete a few posts last night, try and keep it on topic. Also, keep the racially dodgy insults to a minimum please, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Not really . You could argue Nadal on easier side of draw now

• Advertisement

I think you're quite correct in that 'sports science' is the difference in longevity. Let's just hope that this all turns out to be legitimate 'sports science' in years to come. Presumably though the same 'sports science' and more so is available to the following pack, so it doesn't quite explain it either. In the big tournaments, I think too the crowd can have a palpable effect. They often root for the old firm favourites and the challenger has to overcome that as well. Worth a few points and often at crucial moments.

Advertisement