Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

I think it was Canterbury rather than the Crusaders. But, yeah, the discussion is moot.

I think at the moment the tightheads I would have in an uncapped XXIII are Clarkson and Vakhtang Abdaladze.

Think I'd have Osborne in ahead of Thomas Farrell, who hasn't been able to play well for ages due to injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Personally I think I'd have Moore at 13 and Haley at 15. Moore seems to have handled the shift to FB well, but I'm not sure it'll stick. He's a serious operator at centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Ah! That explains that then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

new jersey looks okay but are they going to change it year on year from now on? this one will probably only be for the coming season then another refresh with a separate rwc version. would much prefer if they changed every two years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,577 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

This tour looks like it is going to be tough. Henderson out already. Hanson has covid and HB with a gammy hamstring. **** sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Itxa

Once there is a semi first choice team playing I’ll accept it. COVID is back and being a dick. Looking forward to tomorrow mornings game and seeing Frawley in action! If he makes zero errors and makes one or two breaks it’ll have been worthwhile. The errors and lack of concentration which creep into his game might hold him back.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭VayNiice

If you expect zero errors from anyone you will be disappointed. He most certainly will make mistakes and needs to if he's going to learn and progress.

Hand wringing commencing soon. My hopes are

1. If Carberry sucks.... he's out.

2. Frawley gets another go.

3. HB gets back to get some playing time.

4. Casey takes the next step.

5.Loughman rebounds and picks up a cap. Does well and becomes an option.

6.A win! A draw even. Not getting bollocksed.

7. O'Toole gets an opportunity.

8. Treadwell plays well. At least to be an option.

9. Doris doesn't knock on, repeatedly.

10. The Haka gets binned!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

Very good article in the 42. It's about our lack of props. Jackman has a good viewpoint and gives good reasons for the lack of quality coming in.

My 2 cents, the coaching is poor. At a national level and at the provinces. The national team are kind of a bad joke atm. Porter looks completely out of sorts and his technique is brutal. With Healy detiorating and McGrath with the gammy hip, there's been nobody close to the requirements needed at loose head. At tight head, we aren't badly off. Furlong has a ways to go and Bealham is adequate cover. O'Toole looks like he could be a good international player!

I believe the scrum coaching is half arsed at the moment. Whoever is responsible for the scrum at international and provincial levels are stealing a living.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Shehal

Because like I've said for ages in many different situations with Ireland ( namely the 10 shirt) we seem happy to just make excuses and not fix the problem. "oh we are little old Ireland" nonsense rings supreme, that excuse wont wash at a RWC and again like I said, fail to prepare prepare to fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

We can’t pull players out of thin air. Either they are there or they are not. At the moment they are not. That happens. Look at the French issues at 10 over the last decade! And they have WAY more resources than us.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,594 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

100%

in the 12 years up to Ntamacks debut in 2019 they tried TEN different fly halves (and almost as many scrum halves in that era as well)

Or South Africa's current woes when they don't have Pollard. And Elton Jantjies' calamitous performance at the weekend.

But they just need to give Jantjies loads and loads of games before the world cup, and then he'll become world class....right?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,461 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

A large part of that was a weird refusal to stick with Trinh-Duc tho, but take your point

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

10 isn't a concern in my view, I was quite impressed with Carbery. Watched the game for a third time last night and I think he deserves more credit for a gutsy performance. He carried well and kicked a conversion from the sideline. I would have given him the try, as Andy Farrell said we've seen those given before. The team were good for 71 minutes but conceded 3 converted tries in a 9 minute period before half-time.

One was an intercept against the run of play, one was a very lucky bounce of a ball after it wasn't picked up when Van der Flier was taken out at the ruck to open a huge gap for Smith to run through, and one try from a great long pass for a well-timed run to catch and crash over the line by Jordie Barrett.

Ireland were denied a try from Carbery, and the ball was knocked out of Van der Flier's arms crossing the line. I think there were around 3 balls held up over the line. As Mike Catt said yesterday, the opportunities were there.

Really looking forward to the next test now.

I think we finished the last 10 minutes well, and questionable collapsing the maul 4 minutes into over time, the ref was looking right at it and must have assumed our own lads pulled down their own attacking maul, very dubious.

But, the props lads? Why are we not producing? Are the coaches competent? The out half situation is different. Largely due to Sexton being so good for so long. If there was no Sexton, we would make do with whoever we have. Having no props and a mangled scrum ensures that we concede penalties, lose territory and possession.

Why is the void from Healy/McGrath to what's available now, so deep? Is it lack of ability? Poor technique? Is Jackman correct, that good players fall through the cracks? A decade ago it was tight head we were struggling with. Furlong came good and has been great! Bealham is decent and O'Toole looks like he will be an option.

I think it's a very interesting take.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

The line-out was way worse than the scrum in my opinion.

Ryan left around 3 go through his fingers. Were the conditions wet and windy?

I think O'Mahony tried to highlight to the referee that NZ were pulling down the scrum on the opposite side to the referee if they lost the initial hit so they could reset and have another chance.

Referee needs to give the penalty and not just wave on the play if the ball comes out after the scrum is pulled down.

Except you can make a proper attempt to fix the problem, our motto seems to be do nothing and just have a whinge, we say after every RWC what we did wrong and how we must change yet by the time we are almost through the next cycle nothing has changed, we are still making the same mistakes the we did before the last RWC and the one before that... If the issue is noone can replace Sexton then the solution should be build a gameplay that isnt reliant on Sexton, simply going in blind down this road to nowhere and then crying when it inevitably blows up in our face doesnt quite cut it im afraid at the highest level.

Ah so the next excuse is resources...are we really spewing that nonsense again?

The fact is the last 2 RWC's we were the the worst prepared QF's in 2019 and the 2nd worst in 2015 and right now we appear to be going down the same rabbit hole again.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I actually think that is grossly unfair and not at all representative of what has actually happened. We actively built depth after 2015 and had done a decent job of it.

I also think we are building a game plan that isn’t reliant on Sexton. We have more guys stepping at first receiver and we are actively increasing that further. The big point that you’re glossing over is that it doesn’t matter how much our game plan is not reliant on Sexton, it will still be at its best with Sexton there and worse when he isn’t. We can’t build a game plan that isn’t better and worse when better and worse players are implementing it. No matter what 10 plays, he’ll need to execute the game plan and will need to make calls for himself and others around him. Sexton will always do that better.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,594 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

If the issue is noone can replace Sexton then the solution should be build a gameplay that isnt reliant on Sexton

erhh... thats EXACTLY how we are playing these days !!!!

its a major reason why Mack Hansen has been capped, why James Lowe continues to be and why Hugo Keenan is so valuable to us.

of course, when it comes to doing good out half things, Sexton is still the best by a long shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Itxa

The problem isn’t the production line- it’s there they’re just not being played and promoted at provincial level. What I would give to see Milne exercise his physique in a scrum opposite the English pack. We need to feed through these players for emergency situations. I hope your bollocking awakes a few people in the right places to get this ship in order!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

You do realize Milne has been injured pretty much for most of the last year?

See, your problem is you have the unrealistic expectation that we should be able to just remove one of our best players from the most important position on the field and there to be absolutely zero drop in performance, which is ridiculous and borderline fanciful. No team can do that. Now, I do agree that the capitulation on he weekend after Sexton went off shouldn't be happening, and that needs to be addressed. But remove any team's best player and there will be a degree of a drop in performance.

And we have been playing a style that's less reliant on the guy wearing 10, that utilises other players stepping into the first receiver role. That's been obvious to anyone watching Ireland over the last year. But no matter how much we try to share the playmaking duties and dilute our reliance on the number 10, Ireland will just always be a much better team with Sexton on the pitch. Now you may not want that to be the case, and you can put your fingers in your ears and deny it all you like, but it's just reality, because he's so much better than everyone else.

We said after the last RWC that we need to give the backups more starts against tier 1 opposition, and we have done exactly that. Carbery has started against Japan, Argentina and France. I think he'll start this weekend and I'd put money on him starting v Australia in November.

And yet we were utterly unprepared for the QF...even bloody Japan were more prepared for their QF... The warning sign was there in 2019 and we got our lesson against Japan and even then instead of fixing the issue we just plug our fingers into our ears and just blame Carty being at 10 and ignore everything else that went wrong...which in a surprise to absolutely noone reemerged in the QF even with Sexton at 10 proving that Carty was just used as a convenient scapegoat.

Well we shouldn't be totally crippled without Sexton, we have enough quality players in our team that we should still be able to function even with a 10 not of Sexton's standard playing. We should be able to still function without Sexton, that's the problem here, if we are so utterly inept when he isnt playing then the problems are far deeper than who's wearing the 10 shirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭theVersatile

I swear I see more people say that Carty was blamed for the Japan loss than I actually do see people blame Carty for the Japan loss.

• Advertisement

Yeah I don't get it. Carty played well in that game.

Advertisement