Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Critters in your garden

Options
  • 03-07-2022 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭

Normally we look out, or go into the garden and anything from one to half a dozen rabbits look up from their grass nibbling and shrug 'whatever' and go back to their grass nibbling.

This morning however there were four foxes in the garden (presumably a vixen and her cubs, though they were all about the same size), and not a rabbit to be seen!

There was also our very nervous cat, watching from a distance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

its mostly night-time that the critters come out with us, get a fox every night without fail, a badger on the odd occasion, a pine marten on the very rare occasion

had a hare as a daytime visitor a few years back and of course frogs every summer

never had a hedgehog😕 (well not that i know of)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

For the past few years I had a couple of rather chunky hedgehogs coming to feast on the cat food leftovers in the middle of the night... but this year, so far, nothing, which makes me really sad.

Does anyone have frogs? We used to have an "invasion" of them (I love them!), but then the field at the end of the estate was sold, the little wood (it was more than a hedge) was razed to the ground to make room for cattle, and the frogs disappeared.

The only visitors I've had are the neighbours' pets and a handful of birds (including crows that stole my newly planted potatoes, magpies clearing the cat food dishes and little birds of various kinds eating whatever they could find).

All critters are welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

have foxes that seem oblivious to the dog. had a rat that didnt care less about the foxes ( and was worryingly tame ) but I am glad to be rid of them (rats) and we have tons of grey crows and magpies ( crapping flipping everywhere ) - and we have a dog that is driven demented by the foxes outsmarting her and basically mugging her off standing on walls etc they know she cant jump onto ! All this and I thought I live in the city !

• Registered Users Posts: 13,483 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

For the first time since moving here 7 years ago we had a hare in the garden this morning. It seemed, well, uninterested in the flowers or vegetables, and we grow a lot of 'rabbit favorites' like carrots, leafy greens, beets... It seemed to make a careful survey of the entire yard, wasn't troubled by our looking on from within the house, hopped across the various footpaths and patios, and now has left.

I've seen hares around, but usually they're running away (except at night, when they're stunned by headlamps and can't decide whether to get off the road.) I know there's a rabbit fever running around, but from what I've googled, this doesn't seem like it. It's just calmly surveying.

So, is this hare's visit a harbinger of more to come? Is it heading back to the warren to tell them about all the yummy vegetables it just found? And if in fact it does return, should I trap it?

I hope to borrow a neighbor's dog for a visit soon and have it crap in the yard a few times, so as to deter visits. But still, this was odd, the hare seemingly didn't have a care in the world.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Why would you trap it? Leave it be.

• Advertisement

Ummm... I don't want it eating my hard fought vegetable crop. Could it be ill? It was unafraid of us and, for now, ignored the vegetables.

Maybe it's just exploring its territory.

Alright it'll be on probation. I had a foolproof way to keep rabbits out of the veg in the US will see if it works on Irish hares. Just ringed the beds with rolled up bird netting on the ground. The rabbits would not cross it

If that doesn't work, try one of these signs.

Mind you, if it backfires you might find yourself with visiting ducks, too.

Enough mink around where wandering ducks and chickens aren't a problem for long

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Well, I quite like critters as the OP called them. Essentially they have to move more and more in the built-up area and houses on account of farmland being expanded and rough land being reclaimed. In short, I do not think they like visiting houses but often have no choice. food is scarce for the animal world.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

We've had hares, rabbits, all sorts of birds, even pheasants visit our garden. We watched a rabbit for about 20 min on Sunday grazing away on the grass..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭notAMember

Hares, in my experience, don't eat the same things that rabbits eat. They seem to prefer tougher food, like tough grass. Heathers. And also the bark of shrubs / young trees. Depends on the garden you have, but if you have some young shrubs, maybe protect the stems of those, a roll of cardboard does the trick, just split it and put it around the base.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭westsidestory

Young hares, leverets can be a bit casual sometimes. We had one in our garden few years ago that came very close when I was weeding etc. Didn't try to tame it or anything like that, it didn't keep coming back so may have got a bit of sense or was an easy prey for something else. Beautiful animal.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

We get foxes, pine Marten, hares, pheasants and last night, a first - a hedgehog.

We have three cats and they were just watching it do it's thing:

The cats sit on the window sill and look down on any foxes, mostly, but not always. There was one a few years ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,053 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

You can borrow my dog to place few stinky piles to deter visitors, but your veggies won't be safe, she loves to dig out some carrots and radish. Especially radish, all eaten she's an addict.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

That’s a good one Cnoc bui, I’ve never seen a fox and cats interact! I’ve always thought foxes were partial to a cat or two, my grand mother always said if there was a hen and a cat side by side they’d go for the cat first over the tough feathers of a hen!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 aprilla

Your cat probably needn't be nervous. We've always had foxes passing through but last year a cat with kittens moved in (since re-homed). I watched one little kitten refuse to let a fox near a titbit we'd thrown out, it was amazing. Any time the fox made a move towards the food the little kitten would arch its back and just look at the fox, and the fox would not advance. It tried to circle it's way to the food a couple of times but eventually gave up. At no time was the kitten in any way nervous, it just knew it could do this.

We have pine martens and hares also. It surprises me that the hares don't run from wandering pine martens. It just stood to attention, watching, watching... until the marten was out of whatever range and just resumed grazing when it was sure it was gone. I thought I'd be watching a horror story. I enjoy watching all these interactions but really dislike the pine martens.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'd say a hare would easily outrun a pine marten.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 aprilla

I've never seen a pine marten really running, they have a funny gait that I do enjoy watching but it's the only thing I like about them. Yeah, we figured the hare must know it can outrun it. I just hope the martens aren't clever enough to arrange an ambush on the escape route. I'm fond of the hares.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭10-10-20

That's an amazing photo of the cats and fox. I was going to add that we had a family of 6 foxes (two mothers (sisters) and a litter of 2 cubs each), and they used to hang out with the local cats. I didn't beleieve it until I saw them all sunbathing on a ditch within 5m of each other. Sadly all killed on the M50 1km away while hunting for food.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

absolutely tiny froglet; less than 10mm long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Well, spiders are critters... aren't they? This guy has a web spanning nearly 1mt. The biggest I have ever seen in my garden.

Dan.

Advertisement