Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saving/Applying for a mortgage 2020-22 Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

I think you keep trying to correlate the housing market with stock markets, crypto, etc and it just doesn't work that way, mainly there are big differences in housing from country to country but people actually need homes and there is a massive human and emotional element to the housing market that defies basic economics.

This means people will happily cripple themselves financially for years to get a nice home to start a family, to live near their family, to get out of renting to have a feeling of security, couples to start the next stage of life together, etc

It's actually one of the most tragic elements of the housing crisis that homes have become a traded commodity.

Me personally I know I'm overpaying a bit at the moment but even if prices drop 20% in the next 3 years I don't plan on selling for many years (and certainly not if the house is worth less), it gets us out of paying stupid rent per month and it's a price I'm happy to pay for 3 happy years in our own home.

To be honest I plan on deleting every bloody property app once our sale goes through so house prices can do whatever the hell they want 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

I see you didn't reply to his rebuttal were he provided evidence of the 20 year mortgages.

Tell him you were wrong and Stand corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 krishantha

I had a problem with crypto when get a aprroval for mortgage . I had to clear all my crypto saving back to bank. Then only i got an approval

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

I'm almost at loan offer with AIB for a direct labour self-build. Has to be a variable rate throughout the build process.

Just wondering if I should switch to a different provider in order to get a fixed rate throughout the build process? EBS offer fixed rate from the first draw down. Don't want to be crucified when the rates go up, which I believe is coming.

Also want a provider who is easy going at stage sign-off as I will will be carrying out some of the work myself and paying some tradesmen in cash (I understand risks here, no need to explain!). AIB are supposed to be good in this aspect.

Any advice very much so appreciated.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

If you get a mortgage, how fast can you remortgage? (say you get a variable mortgage or break a fixed you just got)

I imagine there is some minimum length that the broker would want you to keep the mortgage too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭BobCat123

Anyone dealing with Haven via a broker recently? What has your turnaround time been like from AIP to drawdown. Making little progress with our application since AIP 5 weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

check out the askaboutmoney mortgage forums to get real in-depth about all of this

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Sophia Petrillo

Just dealt with them recently via a broker. The process from submission of application with documents to AIP took just over twenty working days.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Papav3r

Does anyone know if you can increase the amount you’re borrowing after getting a letter of offer?

we have AIP but it looks like the house is going to be 50k more than we originally thought. We’re hoping to go sale agreed on Friday. So not enough time to get a new application approved before then.

Hoping it’s easy to modify the letter of offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

We are looking at moving house in the near future, and have in the last few months started to get things in order with savings etc. So we will have existing mortgage plus savings to show our ability to repay/meet stress tests etc.

My question is - we have 4 months of savings now - €900 per month. Should we start approaching banks/brokers now, in the knowledge that this is not an overnight process, and we could be at the 6 months before we get any approvals.

Or would we be wasting our time and should we wait until we have the 6 months savings to show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Icantthinkof1

No one here will be able to tell you that. You need to get onto the bank who approved your AIP ASAP especially if you’re hoping to go sale agreed in 2 days time

I don’t think you’ll have to go through the whole process again but the bank norm tells you what your max borrowing amount is in relation to your income?

ETA please don’t get into a bidding war (if you are in one) when you don’t even know your limit as you’re (through your own admission) potentially adding an additional €50k+ onto the other interested buyer!

Post edited by Icantthinkof1 on

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭DonnieCorko

If I get a salary increase, can this reflect on the amount I am allowed to borrow immediately, or does it need to be after a number of payslips that it counts. Would a letter from my employer suffice?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

One pay slip was required from AIB when I went through the process in 2018. Might be different now

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ARJn

For some reason my employer has a 11 month probation policy on contract (although it is full time role)

I am getting denied mortgage all over the place even after I have put down deposit . I don't understand this probation policy at all (btw this is only in Ireland nowhere in the world) .

Can independent mortgage broker get me this exception , most of them I talked with were skeptical . I am in same role for over 10 years and have continuous employment and looking for a mortgage for < 3X my salary

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Not sure what you are referring to. Probation is standard in most/all countries. The only strange aspect is it being "11" months. Usually it is a nice round figure like 6 months; or 3/12 months for short/long probations. Probation periods can also be extended if there are still questions about you at the end of the standard probation period. The job is not really permanent until you have completed probation.

Probation periods are for permanent positions, regardless of full or part-time. Non-permanent roles would usually not require a probation period.

it won't have anything to do with how much you are borrowing, or what multiple it is of your salary. It is that you need to either be in permanent employment or have a significant* steady/continuous period of work if self-employed/temp.

(*how long depends on the type of work, but expect it to be many years)

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭shawki

I’m hoping to apply for council built affordable housing that will be coming up soon.

I’ve been told by BOI that they won’t be offering mortgages on these types of properties which sounds bonkers to me.

Anybody have any luck with discussing these types of properties with any mortgage provider?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

approved for mortgage but conditional on both of us getting letters from employers saying we could work from home permanently with no changes in terms

neither employer has formal policy saying this is the case (both MNC) and not sure how willing they will be to put this in writing - the house is 1 hour drive (around 100km) from the office. both of us can basically work from home "forever" and this wont change but just getting the written confirmation might be an issue (maybe easier for one of us, will see)

is this a deal breaker for mortgage? why do they care? it would take me longer to get from parts of dublin to the office than it would driving up the motorway for an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Ever since the start of the pandemic, there has been a massive spike in people buying in rural places, driving up prices to astounding levels. There is a general fear that, as companies starting expecting people in the office more than they are tolerating today, or that some people need to move back to the cities for new jobs/promotion etc, that it could trigger a massive collapse in prices in rural locations in the years to come. That in itself is not a problem if you are staying in the home long-term (house price only ever matters on the day you buy and the day you sell - if you even ever sell), but if you ended up needing to move, you could be in massive negative equity, which would be a problem for the bank (as well as yourself!).

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Fawk Nin

Currently 3.5 years into a 5 year fixed term. Planning to switch to Avant and just lock in a long-term mortgage (20-25 years). Has anyone dealt with them here?

Not sure if this is the right thread for mortgage switching discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

I switched to them the start of April. Was two years into a four year fixed term. Started the processs start of December so it took just over 4 months.

If easily frustrated don't do it. People drop out mid way through the process or moan incessantly about being asked for this form and that form.

The reason they are typically the best rate is because they are more strict than other banks to avoid future liabilities.

All in I'd say I put about 15 hours work into it and I'm saving €100 a month for the next seven years. If people looked at it more like this they wouldn't moan as much. It's essentially work for payment and the pay is huge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Fawk Nin

Thanks for the feedback. Really useful.

I agree a bit of work and patience pays off in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

I am looking at buying a 2nd house in the next 5 years and keeping my current house to rent.

At the minute the rent I would get would be 2.5 times more than what my monthly repayments are. Would the bank see this as income? I was thinking of using any money made from renting to overpay the mortgage.

Am I at an advantage already owning a house when going for another mortgage or is there anything I would need to be aware of before I start looking into this?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 PD2019

I'm currently submitting a switcher application for my property (in which I live). The current mortgage is in my name only.

My gf currently resides with me and makes a contribution each month towards bills & living expenses by way of a transfer to my account.

I'm wondering how best to account for these receipts when I will surely be asked by the bank during the process. Could the bank somehow infer that my partner is paying towards the mortgage and as a result, complicate the application?

Thanks

Post edited by PD2019 on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

I am currently the winning bidder on a house granted it’s only on the market a week. I have never gotten any further than bidding so just wondering on the following.

If I am the winning bidder and go sale agreed what next I pay the auctioneer a deposit ? Is that 5k or does the amount change depending on the cost of the house ?

At that stage what else does the auctioneer look for proof of savings / approval in principal letter ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭howiya

Does anyone have a list of or link to Bank of Ireland approved valuers? Can't find it online

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭AH92

Hello guys, looking to apply for a mortgage by the end of the year, what are the chances of being approved for an exemption to go over the 3.5 limit if my and my mrs are both public sector workers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

Try ICS and finance Ireland, both allow public sector workers to use two points up the payscale as their salary figurewithout having to apply for an exemption.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭WhiteWalls

In the process of applying for a mortgage.. With regard to uploading documentation, are screenshots sufficient or what will they be looking for?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

I just uploaded PDF's of everything but id say clear screenshots will suffice. You can use Adobe scan app to scan documents using your phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭WhiteWalls

Thanks left waffle, any idea how long the process takes?

Advertisement