Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Results from investing in just the S&P500

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Good plan. Scaling into ETFs every 2-4 weeks is the best risk management approach vs dropping in a one off lump sum every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

Just wondering can you explain why you think it’s better to invest regularly instead of once a year? Isn’t there tax implications? Trying to learn from the sidelines here thanks!

The tax is no different whether you're dripping feeding it in or a lump sum, assuming you have actual gains. The benefitting of investing regularly is that you smooth out massive drops in the market by having readily available cash to take advantage of those very drops. You limit your downside exposure.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robertberger/2021/02/12/dollar-cost-averaging-vs-lump-sum-investing-how-to-decide/?sh=1943bd1c7c50

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

Don’t you have to remember each date of purchase and value on that given day to file your taxes on the 8th year? So multiple purchases more complicated? Maybe my understanding isn’t right yet!

right, so you have more admin to take care of, but the tax is burden is no different. You can get a report from your broker account handy enough to save you remembering.

From what I've read, lump sum investing can out perform regular investing but that tends to be over a 20 year period to account for boom/bust cycles.

Post edited by jon1981 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Irish94

Just to confirm, is it €20,000 or €100,000 of your investment that is guaranteed if DeGiro did go belly-up?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Just to add one thing, and I'm not sure if this is correct but I assume it is....your shares are safe. If you own shares and a broker goes down, you still own the shares.

I think the guarantee is for cash lodged in degiro, that's not in your portfolio.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Layne

Does the OP have to deal with managing dividends?? Do these have to be noted separately for tax purposes??

I see that the Blackrock equivalent to VUSA (called CSPX) reinvests any dividends automatically, not sure if VUSA does.

Also OP have you any update on your investment at the end of Q1 2022??

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Marymoore

Hi OP, just curious about fees when investing. Is it better to do one lump sum or invest bits each month? Are you charged monthly transaction fees or how are fees charged on degiro?

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭notsocutehoor

There are no monthly/annual fees with Degiro, and if you are trading certain ETFs there are no fees for buying/selling either. Details here https://www.degiro.ch/data/pdf/ch-en/Free_ETFs.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 AmberKat

Hey OP,

I would not recommend this approach as you are locking in the tax payment, gain and new price, eliminating the opportunity for it to balance out if the value of the ETF drops in the future.

As an example (I'll keep it in dollars to avoid the currency exchange complexity and cost, also ignoring the monthly limit on free trades that Degiro have for the same reason)

Buy 100 ETF shares @$1 => $100

After 8 years you have 100 ETF shares @$5 => $500

This is a $400 Gain = $164 DD Exit Tax (41%)

If you sell and rebuy you now have a cost base of $5 per share, with $336 remaining to invest which allows you to:

Buy 67 ETF shares @$5 => $335 in shares and $1 left over that you can't reinvest.

After 5 years you decide to sell but the shares are only worth @$4 each now you don't owe any tax because you are now making a loss compared to the new cost base but you can't reclaim the tax you overpaid earlier. Which means you end up with $268 (plus the $1 that you couldn't reinvest)

If you can pay the tax due from other cash you have, you would be due a tax rebate if you end up selling for less as you would have overpaid the tax. So you paid $164 in year 8 but now you are selling @$4 you would only have owed $123 so you can claim back $41 which leaves you with: $277 (100 shares instead of the 67 plus the tax rebate less the tax paid previously) => $8 more

The other option if you don't have the cash from other sources, it to only sell what you need to sell to cover taxes. It's messier than not selling anything but allows you to benefit from the tax rebate if you need to sell when the price is lower in the future.

Since you are investing regularly it just means you buy less or don't buy new shares that year to cashflow the tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 AmberKat

It's worth clicking on the link in that answer as it would be easy to misunderstand and think you are only covered to €20k in shares, when it's not actually saying that (see below). My understanding always was that the €20k is only supposed to cover you for transactions in process if they became insolvent. So your shares that you have already purchases and are just holding are yours and not in danger. Which now that I double check today everything on both sites seems to confirm this:

Degiro confirm this on their website:

At DEGIRO you can rest assured that your investments are held securely. We use a separate legal entity (SPV) to hold your assets. This means they are held separate from the assets of DEGIRO. The sole task of this entity is to administer and safeguard your investments. By law, it cannot perform any commercial activities. In the event that something would happen to DEGIRO, your investments will not be treated as recoverable assets to creditors and will remain in the safekeeping of the separate entity

I do wonder how the type of account you have with Degiro might impact on the below, but as I have a custody account I haven't investigated.

What funds are covered by the statutory investor compensation schemes?

Liabilities from securities transactions that are payable to customers are covered by the statutory investor compensation schemes. This includes funds owed to investors in connection with securities transactions (e.g. dividends, distributions or disposal proceeds).

The schemes also protect your claims against your bank for the return of the securities held in custody for you. You are eligible for compensation if an institution has embezzled or misappropriated your securities or funds and is no longer able to return them.

If your insolvent bank has misadvised you, however, the investor compensation schemes will not apply. You will thus not be compensated for any lost profits or losses incurred due to a misguided investment strategy.

Do deposit guarantee schemes also cover securities?

Securities (including shares in investment funds) are not deposits. They are owned by the customer and not the bank, which merely holds the securities in custody on behalf of its customers. In the event of insolvency, assets under management in securities accounts may therefore be transferred to other institutions if they do not serve as security (collateral) for amounts owed to the bank in question by the customer. Special protection is not required for this reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭garbanzo

Eh….it’s a bit of a crock ‘o sh1te this last few weeks. I still plan to hang on in for the long term.

g

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

Keep dollar cost averaging in, any drops will eventually recover and the cost basis will balance out.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭BishopBrennen

Interesting thread, fair play!.

Can I ask which VUSA ETF do you purchase, which stock exchange version? I see degiro offer it on EAM / TDG / LSE / SWX / MIL. I'm guessing the EAM Netherlands exchange but just making sure?

Also, will you be doing the tax yourself on it? If only one original initial lump sum was purchased into the ETF would the tax be as simple of 41% of any unrealised gains at yr8 on that 1 purchase and therefore be very simple to calculate. Or am I being too simplistic?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭HillCloudHop

For those not aware, the investment trust JAM tracks the S&P 500 very well and is taxed as a single stock under CGT.

I looked into I.T's a little as an alternative to an ETF or Index fund. The main con's of an IT I could see were it relies on a human fund manager beating the market (or does it? Does it just track the Index?), fund fees and also stamp duty to be paid on each purchase? More risky than an Index fund / ETF.

Pro's (that I see)- simple tax like stocks CGT. Can offset losses against other CGT's, etc.

It's widely stated that passive funds beat actively managed fund every time over a long term, is it different for a trust such as JAM by the way it tracks or tries to act like an Index tracker?

Past performance is no guarantee of future results, but JAM play it pretty safe with their holdings and are diversified by sectors. Nothing too fancy. They have beaten VUSA (S&P 500 index fund) over the past 5 years for what it's worth. I can't see them deviating too much from the S&P 500 performance.

https://www.google.com/finance/quote/JAM:LON?comparison=LON%3AVUSA&window=5Y

Thanks for the tip, it seems strange that an actively managed fund beat the S+P index over a 5yr period.

What exchange do you purchase it on, it doesn't appear to be listed on Degiro or at least I don't see it?

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheTruth89

Why is the Tax at 41% for exiting? its abit excessive no? basically taking half of what ever you have made..

Is this just an Irish thing where the revenue rinse you or is this the standard tax for this the world over?

• Advertisement

I buy JAM on Interactive Brokers. I do think IB is a better broker overall compared to DEGIRO. They have generally lowers fees and more access to stocks and funds. They got rid of their monthly inactivity fee last year too, which is another plus.

Many of the more diversified boring investment trusts do have pretty decent long-term records. FCIT is another option if you want more global exposure. It's similar to a global tracker and has been around long before index funds even existed. It will never outperform the market by much, but the management team is sensible and won't do anything crazy either.

https://www.google.com/finance/quote/FCIT:LON?comparison=LON%3AVWRL&window=5Y

The investment trusts that go off the beaten path are higher risk. SMT is one which is growth heavy and has done poorly since November. Very volatile.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I'm thinking that based on the exit rule and 41% tax after eight years, Berkshire Hathaway might be the best bet for passive investing ,that JPM investment trust looks appealing but you still have 0.5% annual fees and it's a lot less liquid than Berkshire, Berkshire tends to lag the S+P but should do well in next number of years due to significant exposure to banks

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭TalleyRand83

Finally an easier way for S&P500 investment, not seeing it on DeGiro so guessing I'll have to set up an IB account

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Berkshire is a great idea for the coming years, ultimate value stock which tends to do well when internet rates rise.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Euppy

Unfortunately you need $400k to buy one share of Berkshire! They really need to do a stock split, but that would detract from the coolness of the AGM

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭MiketheMechanic

Just buy BRK.B. Trading around $275 at the moment 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Euppy

never thought of other class of shares. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

This thread is about results right? We see many posts stating exact gains when markets are booming. My portfolio is down around 20% since the start of the year. Wondering what to do about it. I expect most on here are in a similar boat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Advertisement