Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working From Home Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Increasingly finding it difficult to get things done. Stuff that could have been sorted out quickly with a couple of face-to-face meetings now takes an age with endless zoom calls.

I'm not getting this. Why would you not just pick up a phone or use whatever IM ye use rather than succumbing to Zoom? While there are possibly too many Zooms, the office experience for me used to be a case of "well, we're all here, so let's have a regular meeting" even when there was absolutely no need. Inevitably it'd drift off topic. That seems to happen less in zooms because everyone wants them to finish!

Thankfully the company I'm in has no intention of stopping remote work but yeah, it's almost like the "Oh, who's afraid of Covid?!" crowd are just a bunch of selfish arseholes. Am I worried about Covid for me? Nah. But my dad has COPD and my mother was diagnosed with cancer right at the start of the pandemic, so I'm a bit concerned about them. And just heard from someone who's expecting a kid imminently and whose father is terminal and he's just tested positive so will miss the birth of his first child and can't see his father who has an undefined amount of time left. Faux fears of course. 🙄

That's one thing I noticed too, far more productive meetings and less waste of time.

I find collaboration works extremely well too. We use Teams and its whiteboard functionality and there's less shyness with putting things up on it when in meetings.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I couldn't even tell you the last time I had my camera on for a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,448 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

That’s stretching it a bit, you must be afraid to go outside your door then.

• Advertisement

If that's what you got from my post then bully for you.

If you are concerned that by going into work, you could pass on Covid to your parents, miss the birth of a child or visit a parent, how do you survive outside your room? There are many, many advantages of wfh which should be taken advantage of, but being worried about the aforementioned when discussing office work considering our society is now completely open and maskless, seems, well, odd.

I spend 2 minutes at a time in the shop with 4 people spread over 200 square metres, oh and I pop a mask on for the 2 minutes because apparently I'm one of the few people who can do so without having a panic attack despite my asthma. It's a bit different than an employer needlessly requiring me to spend 7+ hours a day in a building with multiple people.

In the last few weeks I've "risked" go kart driving, hit the driving range, took the dog to a few parks a good spin away. All outdoors things not in close proximity to strangers for extended periods of time. If you don't see the difference then once again, bully for you.

It's funny/weird to me that people will still go "Oh well if people aren't wearing masks then everything must be totally fine". Almost like the blunt use of government power was actually necessary to get the point across.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,892 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

And that's what it's like when you have a memory of what it used to be like.

Imagine starting at a new company where you know no one, and it's primarily WFH,with colleagues just being disembodied voices on the phone. Disengaged doesn't even begin to describe it.

Funny, are you doing some imagining? Because I can just remember starting in a company that's primarily WFH and "disengaged" doesn't describe it in the least. I was given tasks and left the **** alone. I didn't have some "helpful" fucker checking in every half hour or looking over my shoulder. I did what I would have done in an office except in peace. And rather than either wait for someone to come over or interrupt like in an office if I had an issue I could fire off a slack message, move on or onto something else and get a reply when convenient without any feeling that I may be imposing or interrupting. There's a daily meeting where we can all catch up and there are 2-4 weekly meetings for specific purposes.

Some people want handholding and "interaction" and there are plenty (still a vast majority in my industry which would be best-placed for WFH) of jobs that will still get the people into the office who can't stand their own company.

• Advertisement

Its not that I don’t see the difference, it’s that if you are that worried about passing it on, how do you function in a society where there are huge numbers of Covid infections daily?

I think it’s crap to use ur excuse of catching Covid as a reason for staying out of the office nowadays, and if you are worried about catching it there, then interacting normally with people outside the office must be frightening.

I literally just explained how I get on. Is there some activity that you like that I "can't" do and you can't fathom how someone else lives differently to you or something?

I'm using no excuse because I haven't had any request or suggestion that I should go to the office. And once again you can't seem to tell the difference between spending a workday in a building of strangers likely coming from up to 80km in different directions and spending 2 minutes in a shop. One more time, if that's what you're somehow taking from what I'm saying then good for you, keep on trucking.

And once again, if you are worried about catching Covid in your office, how the hell do you go about your daily life? Do you worry about catching it from family members, door handles, utensils etc, any surface that another person could touch or sneeze on. I understand that degree of paranoia pre-vaccine/omicrone, but using fears of passing it to your compromised parents as a “reason” for not going to an office either makes you ill informed of the risks a spread all around you, paranoid, or just using it as a excuse.

As I said, there are many benefits to wfh which people should be focused on, if one of them is Covid, then you are a pity.

I don't worry about catching Covid in my office. Because the company I work for is sensible.

I live alone so if someone is licking my utensils then covid is the least of my concerns. I've never in my life been the kind of person who sits on the ground or touches random surfaces in public so again, no worries there.

I can't think of anywhere I've been lately aside from my own house and car that doesn't have automatic doors. Well there's my parents' house but the back door is usually sitting open at the time of day I'd be visiting.

If you can't see a difference between 2 minutes in a shop and 7+ hours in an office with far more people then you are a pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭moycullen14

I wasn't trying to rehash the pro/anti WFH arguments. TBH, they've been done to death here (and elsewhere). I was wondering if peoples attitudes to WFH have changed - in either direction?

I was a huge advocate for WFH but find I am changing my mind. I do think, though, that it is most likely the company/work.

Could be. A few months back I was feeling **** and realised it was partly down to work. It was the content rather than the environment though. Had a word with manager and another guy above me in a similar role and couple of little changes were made, I happened to have a lovely holiday coming (went to F1 in Italy, 6 foot 2 bearded fat **** driving a Fiat 500 convertible in the mountains, the image made me smile the entire time and F1 was good fun despite the weather) and since the little changes and a holiday I'll likely think about every day for the rest of my life the last couple of months has been a lot easier again.

TBH when ya consider how much many people move jobs these days there's clearly plenty of dissatisfaction with work, assuming it's down to WFH is a bit of a jump. It may well be for you, different strokes and all that. I miss the craic I had in my first proper job but that was down to the specific people. We were similar age, plenty of similar interests (even if it was only 2 or 3 of us on certain things), thick skins all around and it's hard to do justice to how supportive and helpful everyone was but now I'm in my mid-thirties so not despising co-workers is likely the best I'll ever get again.🤣

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I'm finding myself more disillusioned with the office if anything. I was kinda looking forward to going back for a day a week but the drawbacks are just too much. The commute in the evening leaves me really tired and drained and I get the bus, I'm not even driving. When I work from home I would go for runs or walks after work (especially now when the weather is nice). When in the office, I'm so drained from the commute that I'm fighting off the urge to nap when I get home.

The past 2 times I was in the office I spent ages waiting on a bus home because so many are cancelled or full by the time they get to me. The buses in the morning aren't as bad but they are generally delayed so I spend at least 15 minutes in the morning waiting on the bus at the stop.

While it is nice seeing people in the office, our office is still pretty quiet and there aren't many in so it kinda defeats the purpose of going into see people when most aren't there. Saying that, you still end up spending a lot of your day chatting to people or distracted with stuff that you wouldn't if you are working from home. Normally, I wouldn't mind it as much but when you are busy like I have been lately it puts you under more pressure on the other days to make up lost time. Then there was the day someone spent 3 hours on a call in which they had to talk quite a bit. Not their fault, it happens but I found it very hard to concentrate the entire time they were on the call.

Most days I have been in the office, at least once I have said to myself 'I should have just worked from home today'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

That's a really lovely story.

Little changes can make a huge difference. Glad you had people to support you.

Both people said they'd expected me to pipe up sooner as it happens. 🤣 They were (and kinda are) dealing with issues stemming from the same cause I was. The holiday was just a happy coincidence that worked out well and I'd decided on at pretty short notice. And don't get me wrong, I'd be surprised if I get to the end of the year without feeling sick of it again but that's just the case in the field I'm in. 😅 For me at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

They got your back though. Trust is a huge thing in a job (or in any other part of life).

An example yesterday, I'm a line manager. Got asked if it's okay to take an hour off to see the doctor.

I was amused at first with the question, then I realised they were serious! Don't ask my permission, go! Heads up obviously.

Now, on the other hand if this was to happen every second day (don't need to know their medical conditions but will be escalated) that's a different story.

• Advertisement

Am that soldier.

It's been grand. Really.

Weird, sure, compared to "normal", but these aren't normal times. Day 1, met someone from HR, met my boss, a couple of others in the business unit, and a couple of others in the building when I was given the grand tour. Feck all people around. I've been working two days a week in the office since, 3 from home, and I think it took me a month before I'd met everyone on my team in person, but I'd met them all over Zoom in the first couple of days.

Likewise, Zoom for anyone else I needed to chat with has been the order of the day. As someone who's shite with remembering names and faces, it's been great mostly "meeting" over Zoom, where there name is right there in front of their face. The only downside is a slight one, not having regular or spontaneous social things after work, which I think is where you really get to know people, but that's far outstripped by the positives - far fewer timewasting chats on a Monday about that local sports team/English premiership, fewer pointless meetings that drift off topic, no commute 60% of the time.

One thing I would say is don't be afraid to be a bit more informal and social when in chat and IMs with people on your team. Obviously not to the point of inappropriateness but don't be afraid of just talking about shite on a call with someone like you would if they were in the canteen. Some of the people I get on with best on my team are people I have only met in person once or twice. We work on a lot of projects together though so have lots of IMs, emails and calls together. Our team is very informal about this stuff so even with calls with my manager or project managers we would go off topic and talk about non work stuff and a bit of shíte talking.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,025 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

These calls are supposed to take the place of face to face meetings, having your camera on shows you are engaging with the call (like you would in person) rather than not paying attention or doing something else. If you are in a face to face meeting and you arent speaking you dont step behind a screen to hide yourself why would you on a video conference?

Thats your situation, very few people are in the same boat however, and im sure you had to take the same precautions when there were seasonal flus etc.

And how is working if you are sick good for everyone?

Seriously? In the before times, every office had the martyr. "It's only a headcold, nothing to worry about, I'm too busy to take a - achoo! - a sick day." Three days later, half the office is off sick. I've a relative who caught covid right back at the start from exactly that, someone coming back into the office straight from holidays, coughing and spluttering. Gave covid to half the office. But it was "only a cold."

Working from home when I'm sick is my choice and I'd never expect it from a staff member. But if all I have symptom-wise is headcold symptoms and a sore throat, and am feeling well enough to work, why wouldn't I? Yes, I'll be slower than normal and might take more/longer breaks, but what's the alternative - I can't go out if I'm sick, and there's only so many box sets you can watch. Keeping on top of things means I don't have a huge pile of work waiting for me when I get back.

You must attend different kinds of meetings to me, if someone whipped out a laptop and started working on something else while in a meeting it would probably be the last meeting they would attend!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Patsy167

The Netherlands is on the cusp of becoming the world's first country to make work from home a legal right. 

Bloomberg reports the remote working bill received approval by the lower house of the bicameral parliament on Tuesday. The proposal is waiting for a stamp of approval from the Dutch senate before its law. 

Current Dutch law states employers may reject workers' requests for remote work without reason. The new proposal fixes that and forces employers to give a reason for denial.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭KJK1LL3R

Hi guys, would appreciate some thoughts on this please if you wouldn't mind:

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058255613/deciding-on-2-days-per-week-to-work-from-home#latest

Twitter announced they are closing/reducing office space at locations all over the world as they look to reduce costs and remote working makes this feasible.

Dublin is included in this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Young_gunner

Advertisement