Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin - Metrolink (Swords to Charlemont only)

Options

Comments

OK so, fair enough.

Paris Ligne 13 (one of the busiest metro lines in Europe) has 32 stops and takes about 40 minutes. That's in 2022.

How long will it take in 2034 when Ireland is taking 20 minutes to get from airport to the city centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭atahuapla

9yrs to complete from then is still painfully slow.

Part of me wishes they put this to bed years ago so I'd stop continuously getting frustrated by the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

If I had to guess, probably about 40-45 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Ireland trains

Metrolink will take 25 minutes to cover 16 stations, double that and it’s 50min for 32 stations, not that different

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

They find billions down the back of the sofa every budget and this project was squandered for peanuts during the recession? Less than these billions they have every budget recently, to complete the entire project several times over at recession prices, a total and utter disgrace !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,020 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I consider this a very ambitious project. Fully automated running means the system is future proofed from day one to allow absolutely enormous capacity later. Trains can enter stations at higher speed as there's almost no risk of someone falling in front of a train or whatever. The frequency can be down to a train a minute with fully automated systems. That means future branches could be constructed and make use of the city centre spine. The system will almost certainly be extended to the south or south west too at some stage. The Green Line will eventually be upgraded to feed into this. We learn slow but we will learn that doing anything else is complete nonsense when the Green Line is largely metro ready.

But still, one slick youtube video does not an underground make. Need to see the diggers roll in before I will believe it's happening. Just too many false starts in the past. Hoping I'm wrong and that it really will begin for once it begins it will be impossible to stop. And once it opens it will be impossible not to extend.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Paris Ligne 13 has 25 stops as 7 of them are on a separate spur.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

I honestly don't give a **** about how much it'll cost at this stage. 3bn, 9bn, 20bn. If we delay another 10 years the cost will double again anyway. Dublin is one of the busiest airports in Europe, and the city itself will probably grow in population by another 50% by 2034. It's honestly a bloody embarrassment that our capital city doesn't have a metro line from our airport to our city center at this stage.

People moan about our shocking public transport and then we announce the most ambitious state project ever that would totally change the landscape of public transport within our capital and they moan about that too. It looks incredibly impressive. The project will pay for itself over time. Just get it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

Precisely, the online commentariat are largely bitter people trying to fill some parasocial hole in their lives with constant complaining and screaming into the void, best to pay them little heed.

Glasnevin Station will be class if Irish Rail and ML can work together effectively

• Registered Users Posts: 36,339 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I have no faith we’ll ever put a spade in the ground.

But the project is appropriately ambitious - it isn’t the fault of the team behind it that we bottled running it out the south side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Hugely sceptical of this and forgive me for being so. Giving timelines to commence 3 years from now gives a lot of space to back out. It's electioneering PR bluster.

Start digging in the next 6 months and I will believe it. Very frustrating that this project is not well underway. Sometimes you have to bite the bullet , borrow big and move forward with capital infrastructure projects. It will pay itself off in the long run. The project should run 24/7 to speed up completion. We are not good at that in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,355 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

This can’t be said enough, I see on social media the shouts of build the dart spur and all that to connect the airport just run more buses, the airport is just one stop, it’s an important one but not the sole reason for the metro although I’m sure it strengthens the business case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭Economics101

The comparison with Crossrail (the Elizabeth Line) in London has been mentioned. Crossrail is roughly twice the cost of the proposed Metrolink North. Crossrail has two 21km long tunnels and the total length of the project stretched for 73 miles (almost 120km), the trains are full-scale heavy rail and quite long which makes for huge stations. Metrolink is 19km long in total, and in relation to Lodon's huge and very complex project looks insanely expensive.

I'd like to see some project managers from the Madrid, Lisbon or Porto metros (all with current or recent projects) have a look at this. I suspect that their comments would be unprintable.

Part of the problem seems to be that the NTA has no real experience in building anything; they are totally dependent on consultants, who of course are paid to tell the NTA what they want to know. Give the engineers in Irish Rail the job of designing a revamped Dart Underground plus an Airport link, and you just might see something which makes sense and seriously complements existing infrastructure.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The timeframe has nothing to do with funding (or little enough at any rate). A lot of it has to do with consultations and planning to avoid legal cases down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Brian Dobson was talking to Eamonn Ryan on the RTE Radio 1 news, earlier.

He mentioned that Ryan was now the fourth minister for transport to announce that Thunderbirds are GO! for the Metro project. They even played a clip of Mary O Rourke (remember back that far) talking about how quickly it will be running and how tickets will be integrated with existing road and rail public transport systems.

We do eventually 'kind of' have an integrated ticketing system, although being Ireland we had to invent our own version with its own particular peculiarities. I won't be holding my breath to see how this announcement goes - too many undelivered promises in the past and our track record (pun intended) is not good on big infrastructure delivery.

It should have been done years ago, should certainly be done now, but I don't think the powers that decide have the skill set to do so... or to ensure that we don't get an overly expensive and much delayed, half arsed job.

Once bitten, and then bitten again and again.... twice shy. :)

After 9/11, Ryanair were perceptive enough to buy a pile of aircraft on the cheap.

Irish government more interested in crippling the country with austerity instead of investing in something such as the metrolink. Wouldn't have solved all our problems but would have kept the economy chugging along.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭DoctorPan

And what experience does Irish Rail engineers have in metro construction pray tell? DART airport link is non viable due to capacity constraints on approach to Connolly, put a spur in and suddenly you're looking at best 30 min frequency to Airport, Malahide and Howth before you try and slot in outer commuter services to Drogheda and the Enterprise.

Why aren't we trying to get ahead of the curve, instead of constantly following our European neighbours?

What technology will they have in 2034?

Come 2034 we'll still be 40 years behind them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,918 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the main risk to this is a change of government. For SF this will be a FFG white elephant and as soon as they need money for something else this will be "paused" then cancelled.

The €9.5b figure may be more realistic than some of the figures that have bandied about in the past but it also waves a giant flag over the project that says "cancel me".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Well this is complete nonsense! The NTA won't be building it anyway, construction will be done by private companiesand will be overseen by TII who oversaw the development of Luas and our motorway network.

IÉ don't have engineers capable of taking on anything like this and even if they did, asking them (or anyone else) to design a revamped Dart Underground plus an Airport link would be madness. Presumably you envisage a spur off the Northern Line but you'd need more tracks for that. It would be a much bigger, more complicated and far more expensive project.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,242 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

This is very vulnerable to a change of government and a new Transport Minister looking to reinvent the wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

The pricing for less than 20KM of rail link and some stations is out of control.

We need a serious look at why this is forecasted to cost 10 billion (more than likely a lot more) then look to see why we aren't investing this kind of money into the "regional" cities to try and address the massive imbalance of population.

Dublin is absolutely creeking at the seams, traffic, housing, health, the airport, a lot of other resources while other parts of the country could better be used to host business/companies/other airports etc etc

10 billion is just crazy and could be used in so many better ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

Good to see this gaining traction and moving ahead, albeit slowly.

But, assuming it's not mothballed again, just wait until they need to start CPOing properties around the city, especially that fully occupied apartment block at Tara street. With practically nowhere for people to live, that is when the real fun starts.

I know that an Airport DART link would require 4-tracking from Connolly to Clongriffin. I know also that much of the preparatory work done on DART underground can be the basis for a revived project. I also suspect that the NTA is likely to know even less about the technical aspects of projects that experienced railway engineers. We have a public transport bureaucracy (D of T, NTA, TFI, CIE, IE) which has shown itself hopeless at actually implementing anything on time and within budget.

You may give out about Irish Rail, but some years ago when there was the Mini-CTC signalling scandal, Irish Rail took over the job themselves and did it more or less as intended.

Post edited by Economics101 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Sorry but the third line is EXACTLY why this project is needed. Dublin can't cope with the current levels of traffic and poor public transport, and especially coming from Dublin Airport. Diverting €10bn away to Cork or Limerick won't suddenly make all the multinationals and people living in Dublin move there instead, and somehow turn Cork into the new transport link to mainland Europe, that's just incredibly wishful thinking and silly logic. Metrolink is as big a no brainer a public infrastructure project as there is. No other major European capital is lacking a rail link to the city centre.

Also, why does everything have to be "don't spend this money on Dublin, spend it on other cities instead!". Why can't we do both? It shouldn't be one or the other. You're all mad, like it or not Dublin is our capital and one of Europe's main financial and tech hubs. We can't simply pump money into far more rural areas instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,858 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

We should be doing both. The Luas proposals for Cork should be advanced, as should the commuter rail options for both Limerick and Cork, as well as BusConnects for them plus Waterford and Galway.

However, there are no simple solutions.

If you build the infrastructure before the development, then sometimes the development doesn't happen. If you wait for the development to happen, then sometimes the infrastructure is in the wrong place and sometimes it is too costly because of the development.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭MyLove4Satan

I have been riding this metro train concept train for 20 years (metaphorically) and all I have ever witnessed is new CGI. I am not negative for the sake of it I can assure you. I am negative because I know the Irish Establishment have proved themselves consistently to be lying psychopathic scum who have toyed with us all on underground rail issues for as many decade as I have been alive.

My negativity is born out of experience, not knee-jerk cynicism I can assure you. In 1973, as a schoolboy I walked out of the Young Scientists Exhibition after being spellbound by the CIE stand fully convinced Dublin was getting an underground train system. Slag me off all you want. But this has been a weary and long road for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭richiek83

The NTA are not the lead authority in this, TII are. NTA are the approving Authority. TII have brought this through design and public consultation etc. TII (or the old NRA and RPA) were the lead authorities for the motorway network and development of the LUAS lines we have currently got. When given resources, they get things built. They have plenty of experience in getting big infrastructural projects done. The Metrolink that is now going to planning is a superior version of the old Metro North. It provides integration with other modes (Glasnevin and Tara Street for DART and Mainline Rail). It provides BusConnects linkages also at various points and LUAS linkage at O'Connell Street and Charlemont).

Thanks, I forgot to add TII to the alphabet soup of transport bodies. Incidentally TII have a lot to say about Motorways, LUAS, and now Metrolink. Where is ordinary heavy rail investment in all of this? In some other countries, the equivalent of TII have responsibility of strategic road and rail developments. It's called joined-up thinking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,621 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Dublin is creaking at the seams so lets...not improve its transport infastructure?

Advertisement