Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wimbledon 2022

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Shot of the match there from Djokovic for the highlight reel

On the run sliding cross-court backhand belter of a winner

An unparalleled ability to back himself to have a chance to come back when up against it facing a form player on the verge of being out and having a dip but then to turn on the style

Sinner was playing well this tournament, taking care of good players in a routine fashion

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Death, taxes and opponents rolling over for Djokovic when they get a two set lead¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Djoko is crafty the way he plays the crowd

Pure codology but he pulled it off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,323 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Norrie takes second set against Goffin! One set all.

Very solid so far, tight match.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭anglesorangles

Good comeback from Novak , thought it wasn't a great performance overall though, his serve kept getting better. Sinner probably went from playing near 100% of his ability to about 50%. Will we get a Novak and Nadal final? Definitely cant see Goffin/Norrie troubling him.Nadal has looked good in his last two but has dangerous opponents ahead , could see him losing to Kygrios or Fritz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,556 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Definitely one that could go the distance.

I'd really like to see out this one, and the Jabeur match, but I have to go out - to play a tennis match!

Hard to know what to set to record on BBC the way they keep switching channels/matches.

Sinner didn't have the belief

Can't see past Nadal atm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Let's be under no illusions here, Sinners level dropped off significantly once he went up 2 nil. Yes, Djokovic improved, but it was more a case of Sinner loosing it than Djoko winning imo.

• Advertisement

it's almost like the opponent with the best comeback record in history upped his game significantly or something.

We're not talking medve-choke collapse levels here of a guy on his best surface holding 3 break points to finish off the match as a contest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Nadal just isn't beating Novak on grass at this stage of his career IMO. his forehand just cannot do the damage it needs to do consistently in order to get Novak out of position enough in order to win three sets.

if he managed to do it, that alone would just about put an end to the GOAT debate though.

Norrie getting hammered in the third set now zzz.

BBC iPlayer is brilliant if watching live, I would maybe tape BBC 1 and 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Sinner moved back a couple of paces on the court immediately during the first service game he lost. it was curtains from then. he never regained composure. it's like he had something to lose, and he played like it.

Novak smelled blood midway through that 3rd set. he knew he had him.

you know when Novak is worried. he throws a couple of tantrums. he feigns a bit of injury. i didn't see it, even in the 3rd set.

Please don't compare one of the best comebacks of all time to what happened today. At least Medvedev was a proven GS winner.

Yep. That makes it even worse.

Him choking so bad on his best surface with 0-40 up on the opponent's serve ranks as one of the worst ever seen!

Vs a guy who had won once there before 13 years ago

And when last in the final could not even win one set

(You'd wonder why)

It was hardly a case of a player who has six titles and including the last three in a row

• Advertisement

Norrie is a battler! Taken it to a 5th set

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Cammie takes it to a fifth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

The winner of this against Novak??

...not a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭Augme

Both very limited players. I'll be amazed if Norrie takes a set off Novak.

Terrific result from Norrie...deserved it overall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭Xander10

He won't unless Novak does that messing around in the first two sets

Could be right I don't have much background knowledge

I just call whatever I'm watching at the time whatever the sport

Watching the highlights of the Maria versus Niemeier match..looked like a terrific contest. In the little interview section Maria came across so well, real fairytale stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Move over Murray we've got Norrie

good headline for The Sun

"Cam he win it?"

"A brit in the semi? norr-eally!"

And in the daily mail.

"Gorgeous Kate Middleton at Wimbledon bla bla"

"Does Meghan Markle hate Cam Norrie?"

Think I'll give this a shot the next time I'm playing.

Should end well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,556 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Well, that aged well!!

BBC2 did the business, got the rest of the Norrie match, and the tail end of Jabeur winning.

Interesting to hear herself and Maria are good pals, it's a big match for both of them!!

Sinner was still 3 years old when Djokovic played his first Wimbledon

Djokovic came back from 2 sets down in that tournament to win a match as well.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Didn't see the Djokovic match yesterday, sounds like it was very similar to the FO final last year, going 2 sets down, but, his opponent realized they had something to lose, retreated into their shell a bit and Djokovic pounced on his opportunity and never looked like losing once he broke in the third set, was that the case?

plenty of highlights on youtube and newspaper articles out there if like you say didn't see the match!

there is no shame for sinner in losing to by far the most successful grass-court player of the last decade with 6 titles and the last three in a row.

that's undoubted recent pedigree

Sinner had a good tournament and in his press conference said that he was happy that he could play better in every successive match

He'll keep working hard he says - he knows that you have to earn a slam - no gimmes facing nobodies on this tour!

it's not like he capitulated, blowing a 0-40 for a match-ending break to a guy who hadn't won in that slam in well over a decade and amassed just 8 games in total the last time he was in a final.

now that would be something!

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Basically, after the magic chat to himself in the toilet break.

It was a rollover Musetti would be proud of 🙂

ah really - this old chestnut - really!?

p... c

Murray freely talks about going for a pep talk in the toilet when he won the US Open in 2012

The rules are the same for everyone.

Nadal and Federer (a former player) the same.

Nadal did the same at RG a month ago against Djokovic at 1-1 when Djokovic came back to win the second set.

Get over it.

Kyrgios spits into the crowd and is shouting mid-match that his opponent should be defaulted and people going to the toilet is being brought up!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Why are you doubting that I didn't see the match, I was working, so couldn't watch the match live, did see a few minutes of highlights, but, highlights don't always get across how a match went or how the momentum ebbed and flowed throughout the match, especially when you already know the outcome.

I wasn't doubting that at all - how did you pick that up?

merely agreeing that you didn't see the match.

plenty of free professional journalism articles out there on the web reporting on the match as said if highlights aren't your bag.

• Advertisement

Musetti didn't even finish the match

I always said that Musetti would never amount to anything (some here saying he was the future of tennis lol) and he hasn't

Sinner bears no comparison to Musetti

Musetti has recently been seen in qualifying rounds for ATP tournaments and on the Challenger Tour

Nadal is actually living rent free inside your head 🤣

And in another post of yours further down, you tell someone "to get over it". Oh, the irony.

ah dear

winning a total of 8 games in a recent best of 5 set final and one previous title 13 years ago just isn't pedigree in my book sorry.

Ideally you have to beat the surface king to prove pedigree.

simply put.

but then again if you've lost 19 consecutive sets on the surface over a period of 10 years to that player that's not likely to happen is it?

I mean that does make for uncomfortable reading for some but that's just the fact of it.

some will just never be able to face that fact, never mind get over it!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Musetti was in the middle of preparing for his University final exams at the time and had also gone 5 sets to beat Berrettini. For a lad of 19 he did well to go 2 up against ND. I doubt he's finished; Junior World No 1 one;y 3 years ago, Junior AO champion and US Junior runner up.

For Djokovic, out of 7 times coming back from 2 sets in his career, 3 of those are in the last 15 months. Age certainly seems to be catching up with him.

Onto today's action - will Fritz be able to make a match of it with Nadal?

Fritz has had an easy run of it so far you'd have to say, including easily 3-setting Musetti (who wasn't preparing for or doing any exams at the time I believe) in the first round.

He hasn't dropped a set so far - not a stat I would put too much emphasis on but will mention it here mainly to show that he hasn't faced much adversary so far.

I think that he has a decent chance vs Nadal but it's hard to call in advance how that match will play out

Kyrgios is far superior to Garin on grass.

Berrettini was due to face Garin in round one but was Covid-ed out.

Will the news breaking to the public that Kyrgios is up in court for domestic abuse send the crowd against him and Kyrgios over the edge?

Intriguing.

If he doesn't flip the lid or prove unable to perform you can't see past Kyrgios but who knows what sort of thing will turn up?

Doubt the crowd will care about the allegations tbh, it never affected Zverev in any way despite much more serious allegations. Although given that the Zverev accusations were only made via Instagram perhaps they were taken a lot less seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭anglesorangles

Jesus you arent wrong , Gray ,Molcan and Kubler is a dream run. Fritz for me gets 1 or 2 sets. Kygrios will have to implode , which is 50/50. Im very surprised by Garins run. Will be very interested to see how the crowd react.

Oh I agree, I wouldn't say he's finished at all. Bit silly to write off someone just out of their teens.

Post edited by yerwanthere123 on

would be some turnaround in fairness

quality shows and it shows over time

Musetti has a record well up there with the raducanu post-open record since he quit against Djokovic last year

Has a max 2-win streak in any ATP main draw in over a year, even on his preferred clay, even in fiddly 250's with weak fields

That's over a year now

He has beaten some higher ranked-players than Top 45 the odd time but it's a long way back for him and you need to able to win successive matches to go forward

"future of tennis" - yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Mens field is fairly weak so he's got another 2/3 years challenging for majors I think anyways.

Age remains undefeated in the end

But Djokovic will keep playing until he's 40 at least unless he gets some sort of injury like Murray which finishes him off as a credible force.

He is very disciplined with his fitness (not a pick on him and the ability to pull off shots like that splits-running-backhand yesterday is something 99% of the tour can't do and he's 35) and the old days of players buying into the credo of "you're finished at x age just because you're that age" are long gone

The longevity of players in general is growing as the average ages clearly show and continuing ability to perform at the top level

It's not just in tennis either - Brady in NFL winning superbowls at 43, Ronaldo up near the top of the premiership scoring charts at 37 (even in a poor team). Different sports but relevant imo in terms of fitness maintenance, people realising that sports glory is going to beat any retirement, the best ever being able to continue to be at or near the best etc

Especially a player that good

Plus undoubtedly Djokovic and Nadal are keeping each other going - Nadal claims not to be concerned about the number of slam titles but anyone who actually believes that needs their head tested.

These are the two best players of all time so they want to be remembered as such

Great to see the two of them still having the hunger and the dedication

• Advertisement
Advertisement