Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

What happens timber prices, when a recession is predicted. That potential recession may be alot deeper than the markets are anticipating

50% drop since march

• Administrators Posts: 53,755 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I always enjoy when people pick very specific timelines to try and make a point. You picked March, because this is when timber prices were at their record highs. So what you are telling us is timber prices have fallen back from their insane levels at the end of 2021 and the start of 2022. This sounds a bit less dramatic though.

I could say timber is up 50% since last August. Or I could say it's roughly the same as it was a year ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭Deub

Your view is too simplistic. By your logic, there would never be a recession because the supply chain works on demand (no stock idle) and the worldwide population keeps growing so there is a constant growing need for more foods, materials, etc

But we still had several recessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

Not if the amount of properties being made available is staying up with the increase in population and that is where Ireland in particular is severely lacking and just to add to the argument we have had a number of recessions and in general property prices along with all of the commodities you mention globally have gone up there have been some bounces. So logically I am right

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Even if demand collpses - which is not a garantee - we are still facing huge inflation.

I'm not sure how house prices would not be affected by inflation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭combat14

Looks like now is a great time to get a house before banks get nervous about lending again.. Euro hits 20-year low against dollar on recession risk (rte)

"Today's PMI data from Europe have highlighted the risk of slowing growth at the end of the second quarter and raise the prospect of a contraction in activity in the coming months," she added.

"Growing fears of a recession are hammering the euro lower, whilst the dollar is soaring on bets that the Fed will keep hiking rates aggressively to tame inflation," City Index analyst Fiona Cincotta said.

"Oil is still struggling to break out from its current recessionary malaise as the market pivots away from inflation to economic despair," Stephen Innes of SPI Asset Management said in a note. (Reuters)

Or even matching 2018 price before quantitative tightening was attempted back then, rather similar to current environment, don't you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

Less than I would have thought but id guess they have alot of negotiating power with their subbies.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,502 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Its 6-7% of total house costs that would be much higher on material and labour. Labour maybe softening slightly at this stage

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

House prices are only worth what people will pay.

Unless peoples wages increase, house prices will not. If demand collapses, supply will collapse too. Volume of sales will collapse, but prices will stay around the same/slightly lower as cost of construction has gone well up, which impacts all new builds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,502 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

In a way you are correct but you also have to factor in costs. If costs exceeds what people are willing to pay construction halts. A builder providers will not buy products to sell at a loss. It's the same with cement and concrete blocks.

Labour will direct itself elsewhere. Construction workers tend to be very mobile. As well the emphasis can shift from housing to commercial. If houses get too cheap it will be because of poor access to lending. Then you have cash investors buying up stock.

Slava Ukrainii

I don't think many posters read that article in full. Increased costs were fully offset by efficiencies elsewhere with margin now over 20%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Every day I get callbacks from Auctioneers now. Over the 3 years I gave my details online, called emailed etc. For the past 2 years it was basically impossible to get viewings or more info, in fact almost impossible to get through to them.

But the past month, they are ringing me to see am I still interested. That for me is a big antidotal change

I am expecting more choice in the next 12 months rather than any price drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭combat14

one could suggest that "more choice" is a kin to either less demand or with the current increase in small landlords selling ... more supply in the market .... more supply with a recession on the cards has to have some impact on price ..

"Unless peoples wages increase, house prices will not".

House prices have been rising at a much greater rate than wages for what, 30 years at this stage? 40 years maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Ozark707

It has to start somewhere. The more savvy EA's will start by getting sellers to be "more realistic". I am noticing now some re-listings on myhome at reduced prices so they are not coming up in the price changes searches.

In the US it took a number of months from mtge rates to go up to a noticeable shift there. In many areas there inventory is up considerably YoY but it is only in the past couple of weeks widespread news of more realism by sellers is seeping out.

The banks will not lend beyond 3.5x salary. That rule did not exist in the past - it does now thankfully.

Thats what I meant by decreasing demand causing supply to drop - if wages dont rise then affordability isnt there for new houses, and if affordability isnt there then they dont get built.

Around the same time period interest rates have been falling, multiple other factors also such as grants and shared equity, tax free investment funds et al, but I'm pretty sure the funders of such schemes will also be affected by rising rates

The 3.5 rule has been in place for about a decade now, right?

I agree that overall and eventually wages will limit house prices, but I am not so sure we are at the point where there can be no further rises without widespread wage increases.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

Not really though, the government/SHBs are still buying up full estates off the books and will keep doing so for the foreseeable future and they don't care about prices so that's one big source of demand.

All I see on the private new build market is new houses getting smaller and smaller to stay within what is affordable for people so 350k might have bought you a 4 bed semi a year ago now only buys you a 3 bed semi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Some really weird discussions here around inflation. People with cash will not do so well in inflation or others with houses in rent protection zones etc.

A significant goal for many working is to get paid the most they can for their labour. Charlie Haughey indeed said belt tightening was needed while thieving all around him. Inflation is a legitimate reason to look for a pay rise. If you're not to maximize your pay for work, I'm not sure what to say....

Ireland has little control over inflation.

It's up to the EU and things are not going well there, e.g. https://doomberg.substack.com/p/moribund-verbund

Germany has been shutting down nuclear reactors etc. for the green anti nuclear agenda and the reliance on gas is enormous. Personally, I think we should be getting between Donbas backed by Russia and Ukraine backed by USA and de-escalating the war. Everyday hundreds of people are being killed in the war machine for nothing, for things that could be solved diplomatically and have the same outcome.

https://www.osce.org/special-monitoring-mission-to-ukraine/512842

We are on the side of Ukraine and its people, that goes without saying. However, the government and public bodies should be looking at the ceasefire violations prior to the war and then acknowledge the problematic nature of the Azov and Kraken battalions, the banning of the Russian language in Ukraine and imprisoning of the Ukraine opposition leader. This is not to excuse Russian's invasion but to acknowledge some Russian grievances and the grievances of those in the Donbas in order to find a way to end the war.

Back to basics. If you're not trying to maximize payment for your labor...... why are you working? Ireland is not the USSR.

If you're saying people should not be striving to be well paid, maybe you are sitting on a load of cash or something silly like that. In that case, you should be diversifying and not shouting at people to not look for the best rate of pay.

So depending on how things go, we could see severe inflation where food never mind accommodation becomes an issue. In such a case, who knows what happens. What person would want to sell an asset for a currency that would be devalued very quickly? Prices could go through the roof! Or other circumstances, we could see an end to the Ukraine war, a slowdown in immigration, supply catching up with demand and maybe even a property crash if companies like Facebook (meta), Pfizer (covid 19) start to downsize internationally including in Ireland.

None of those thing would make me not want to maximize my labor in exchange for payment. Anyone saying otherwise..... I despair.

Post edited by mcsean2163 on

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭SmokyMo

Your points on Ukraine are nonsense. Grabbed from somewhere with zero understanding of Ukraine, its war, and internal relations with russians.

In addition, its been shown numerous times, that contrary to major belief, one of the better hedges against inflation is cash.

In addition, its been shown numerous times, that contrary to major belief, one of the better hedges against inflation is cash.

Care to share some evidence of this? That appears to be very counterintuitive

Secondhand houses will stop that from happening though - why pay 350k for a 3bed when there are 2ndhand 4beds for that price. You get away with a certain price difference for the new nature of a house, but when it gets smaller and smaller eventually the demand drops off entirely.

My points are grabbed from the organization called the OCSE, an organisation composed of 57 participating States, 6 Mediterranean and 5 Asian Partners for Co-operation which was monitoring the ceasefire violations in Ukraine. I personally emailed them having seeing some strange statements online about their coverage. I believe most are familiar with amnesty international. Here's the opposition leader jailed in 2021 https://www.euronews.com/2021/05/13/ukraine-opposition-leader-and-putin-ally-under-house-arrest-after-being-charged-with-treas

You can google the rest.

I say let us help the refugees of the horrendous war and help end the despicable war.

On inflation ... https://www.cnbc.com/2011/02/14/The-Worst-Hyperinflation-Situations-of-All-Time.html?__source=sharebar|twitter&par=sharebar

Cash is not always king. I think everyone with a secondary school education realizes that and knows that the Nazis arose from the dire hyperinflation conditions in the Weimar Republic.

Post edited by mcsean2163 on

Anyway, away from all that stuff. Price drops seem to be the name of the game in dun laoighaire

https://www.myhome.ie/pricechanges/dublin-south-county/dun-laoghaire

Last September there were 28 properties for sale. It's 62 today.

It seems not everyone has a million down the back of the sofa to buy a nearly derelict pile.

Big drop in oil today, long may it continue (big fall for euro also)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Timing belt

That’s thanks to the inverted yield curve which normally is a sign of recession

• Registered Users Posts: 14,468 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

The price of oil has dropped considerably over the last couple of months, but oil has to be refined to produce petrol/diesel, and that requires huge volumes of gas, which mostly comes from Russia. So the traditional associated drop in the price at petrol pumps is not being seen to the same extent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,468 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

That is an interesting take, one that I find hard to believe. Do you mean physical notes, or cash on deposit? If the price of goods and services are increasing, the value of both would appear to go down rather than up as both buy you less than they did when goods and services were less expensive. I could understand it if you said Gold was one of the better hedges as traditionally people invested cash in gold at times of economic instability. But cash? Hard to see how that stacks up unless you are talking about the grey economy where paying/being paid in cash avoids taxation.

Advertisement