Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sophie: A Murder in West Cork - Netflix.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭dublin49

Bailey was probably the most violent known person in the general vicinity that knew the way to the house ,that does not make him guilty but does make him a person of interest.Now if nothing else of interest has materialised about Bailey we probably would not know his name or even know he existed.Posters who suggest he has absolutely no connection with Sophie are very one eyed in my opinion.He may not have done it,but he confessed more than once ,he changed his Alibi ,and there was physical evidence that in isolation doesnt prove anything and lots of court testimony in the civil cases that contradicted his,which suggests to me he is the mostly likely to have carried it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

Yes i agree 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Evergreen_7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Did he deny ever meeting her

My 2c is he did it (I know)

He's be the type that would have spotted her and taken an interest

and there was physical evidence that in isolation doesnt prove anything

what are you referring to?. I agree he is the most likely candidate...

• Advertisement

Did he deny ever meeting her

yes he denied meeting her. said he saw her at a distance once

I reckon there's a lot of hyperbole theories about hitmen and randommers and French lovers flying in ? Wtf like?

This was someone local who had an interest and called on the nite with alcohol taken

My gut from watching the docus is that that person was bailey, he was hiding things in the shows

Lets say you add up the percentages on bailey

Not strictly scientific of course

Gardai think bailey did it - 30%

TV shows show bailey to be highly sus- 25%

Everything else known about bailey -25%

That's like 80%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭dublin49

the scraps to his hands and mark on his forehead that Jules said( i think) wasnt there the night before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Not true.

Even when Jules Thomas had been turned against Bailey while she was in detention on 10 February 1997 she did not retract from her previous explanation as to him being scratched as a result of cutting the tree.

See Section 10 from the DPP report for the different evidence about the scratches.

Plus if he was scratched at the scene, where is the evidence? See Section 1.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭tinytobe

That's probably what they will be doing.

However, I think this will either clear Bailey or convict him, - all the others have already died.

Purely from a reporter point of view, and the fact that everybody knows everyone in this part of Ireland, it's hard to imagine that Bailey didn't notice her.

However if he did kill her, he'd have done quite a bit of sports exercise that night. Not driving, hiking to her place, after a night out in the pub and more then a few drinks, killing her and hiking back, all beyond the notice of his partner....

Not driving, hiking to her place, after a night out in the pub and more then a few drinks, killing her and hiking back, all beyond the notice of his partner....

the partner claims she was zonked on painkillers and drink so it would be reasonable for him to be able to do all that. First she did not know he got up then she did when it suited her to say so

He could have taken Jule's car, without her knowledge, driven there, killed her, and driven back, cleaned the car, - but that all, having had more than a few drinks in the pub it would have been quite an accomplishment for not leaving any incriminating traces on the murder scene......

However I still wouldn't be able to understand Bailey's motive. It wasn't money, it wasn't sexual, and drugs? I doubt that if Bailey would have been on anything, like Cannabis, or something like that, he would have had anything to do where Sophie gotten in the way.

I'd still suggest the motive would either have been drugs, in terms of Sophie having seen something, reported something, but the police or somebody in the neighbourhood was in it as well, or it was sexual, revenge, even a hitman hired by her husband wanting to avoid a costly divorce, or the often mentioned Guard from Bantry wanting her sexually.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭chicorytip

I don't know if they found fresh tyre marks on the quite muddy road leading up to gateway. He could have parked a car somewhere near the junction of this and the "main" road which leads down to Kealfadda Bridge and walked up to the house. Or he could have walked there and back to his own home, The Prairie. If you know the area this journey would take maybe forty-five minutes each way - at a brisk speed.

I think his motive was partly sexual but also motivated by ego. He fancied himself as a talented writer and probably regarded himself as the only real intellectual in the village. So, the arrival this somewhat exotic French lady and what he learned about her and her background piqued his interest. He probably had met her previously, possibly at the Cape Clear poetry festival. So, his motivation for going up there that night might not have been entirely sexual. He wanted to impress her. She was not impressed, either by his bloody awful poetry or by his arrival - without prior notice - at such a late hour and half pissed. What exactly happened then we can only speculate upon. Her rebuffal of him, her possible terror and panic and attempt to flee and his violent rage leading to her bloody death.

It's a possibility. However I find it hard to believe that Bailey either walked or drove after a longer night out in the pub. Yes, I am familiar with the area, the walk from The Prairie to Sophie's must have been 45 minutes to 1 hour depending on physical fitness and choice of direction.....

I still don't think that Bailey did it. After all, Bailey voluntarily submitted DNA samples shortly after the murder to be excluded? - I'd find it hard to believe that he could have committed murder, not leaving any traces, after a night out in the pub. And if he did, I'd say, it's quite an accomplishment.....

I think it was either drug related, or a sexual motive by the guard from Bantry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,928 ✭✭✭sporina

I think Bailey did it...

Why would he have been burning a mattress and his boots on Stephen's day.. or Xmas eve - which ever it was.. and soaking his over coat in a tub

Destroying evidence if you ask me

I've often had the same thought. In terms of behaviour, yes, but I also think this is the only thing that would point to Bailey.

But to date, to me Bailey is just suspect, like all the other possible suspects. Suspect was never matched to murder weapon or murder site, beyond reasonable doubt.

Remember, we also have reports of a car speeding away in the morning hours, or drug activity in the area, a sexually over active Guard in Bantry and husbands wanting to avoid a costly divorce.....

However I still wouldn't be able to understand Bailey's motive. It wasn't money, it wasn't sexual,

how do you know his motive ws not sex or money?

At this point none of us know what happened that night. DNA evidence may or may not shine a light on the mystery. However also evidence get's older, and also a lot of suspects are by now dead.

As far as I know, Bailey had no financial connection to Sophie, he would not have benefitted from her murder, no divorce issues, no inheritance matters. So there are not the obvious financial motives for murder.

And sex? He was in a relationship with Jules. Don't know if he cheated or not, don't know if he felt the need. However taking a longer hike after a long night out in the pub many drinks, etc..., with intention of sleeping with Sophie does sound a bit unrealistic to me, but it's not impossible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Even if the dpp get a trial, could it be fair?

That's a lie detector analogy not scientific

My gut says bailey, everything points to him

My gut feeling says, it wasn't Bailey.

Especially in terms of motive and possibility to commit the crime, it's not pointing to Bailey.

To me it's still hard to imagine, one drinking all evening in a pub, and then making the 45 minute to 1 hour hike to Sophie's at night and leaving no real trace connecting him to the crime scene seems unrealistic. It's not impossible, but seems unrealistic in my mind.

The husband wanting to avoid a costly divorce, a drug dealer wanting to get rid of somebody who seen something, or some other sexually overactive guy, like that Guard, are far more stronger motives for murder at any rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭flanna01

Christ.....!

I hope you're never on the jury if I'm being tried....

Can you provide a link to the Gardai survey that returned a 30% conclusion that Bailey committed the murder? Could that same result not be reported as 70% of surveyed Gardai don't think Bailey did it??

TV Shows have Bailey to be 25% highly suspect...??? What in the name of sweet Jaysis does this even mean? TV shows..??? Are you serious???? TV shows?? Really..??

Everything else known about Bailey another 25%? I can't even begin to fathom what this statement even means? Everything else as in what like? How did you reach the number 25%? Really curious as to what formula was used here...

Let me get this right... Some Gardai survey reports that a third of the Guards think Bailey did it, or two thirds think he did not?

The TV shows lump on another 25% And everything else in the Universe consists of another 25%.... (this is hard reading)

My God - that's making a tally 80% that he did indeed murder the French lady.. Not much wiggle room there for the good Ian.. Looks like an open & shut case to me.

Have you been legally trained by the French by any chance? Did you proof read you're post before publishing it? Are you French?

I have read many theories on why Bailey could be considered a suspect. The most of them are valid and well thought out. There is plenty of circumstantial evidence that could be used to condemn Bailey or vindicate him.

But the 80% formula you have presented to suggest Baileys guilt is truly bizarre, in fact, it's up there in the stratosphere somewhere.

Are you also confirming that your research concluded that:

70% of Gardai don't suspect Bailey of the crime?

75% of TV shows don't think Bailey did it?

75% of everything else known about Bailey suggests he didn't do it?

You are dead right about one thing.. Your thinking is not strictly scientific!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

Stop embarrassing yourself Clouseau. Is that addition out of 100 or did you just pluck it out of your arse?

Some egg McMuffin this fella with his "not strictly scientific". The babblings of a child would make more sense

Keep talking looks like the embarrassment is on you

• Advertisement

Seriously You should be ashamed. Your back of the cigarettes packet maths are insulting to anybody with a functional brain. Embarrassed for you captain Kirk

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement