Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin - Metrolink (Swords to Charlemont only)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

This will never happen. This is like the absence of skyscrapers in Dublin. We can barely build houses that don't fall apart.

If and its a big if, construction ever starts it will be never ending costings 10s of billions lasting 10s of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,375 ✭✭✭prunudo

The Dart spur to airport is like the N24 route instead of the M20. They miss the objective of the planned project and the media give far too much credence to these alternatives. Ironically both projects (metro and M20) were mothballed during the financial crash and both still badly needed but dogged with set backs and increasing costs in the intervening period.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

The money being talked about is obscene and it wont actually solve the problem (Whatever that problem actually is).

The issue we have, as a country is the focus on Dublin and neglecting the other cities. Spread the population around a bit more evenly - surely that has to be a priority!

23 Billion (which is what this will be if ever completed) is over a billion euro per kilmetre of track.

Would probably be cheaper and more use to give everyone nationally free public transport on existing options for a few decades.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Michael McDowell will be giving his much sought opinion on this shortly on Today FM….

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

How can anyone take you seriously when you claim Metrolink won't solve "the problem" while also saying you don't know what the problem is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,355 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Also he made up a figure and just states it as fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Ireland trains

No the issue is that we have a capital city with woeful infrastructure which this project will somewhat address.

There’s not a chance it’s going to cost €23 billion. Ryan said that if it was built today it would cost over €5 billion and that the €9 billion + is a pretty safe figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭Economics101

Well if Ryan said that effectively it would cost €5bn in to-day's money, one can only assume that the extra €4.5 billion is for forecast cost inflation. As this is for a period of well over 10 years it's utterly worthless: you cant forecast cost increases over that long a period. It does seem to imply that "construction inflation" is well ahead of the official ECB target of approximately 2% per annum. Why?

Post edited by Economics101 on

I’m sure the government are keen to avoid a repeat of the children’s hospital overrun so hopefully the final cost will be less than the €9.5 billion.

Does the €9.5 billion price tag include rolling stock?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭Economics101

Good question. The fact that it needed to be asked is a tribute to the poor quality of journalists. If it doesn't include the rolling stock then the €9.5bn is a totally useless number.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Yes, rolling stock will be provided under the PPP portion of the project.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

That's when they should have builth them on the crash. Jobs were needed then. The next recession soon zo arrive will they miss this opportunity also

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Matt Cooper just asked Eamon Ryan why he doesn’t cancel MetroLink and spend the money on subsidising petrol and diesel.

The coverage of this subject in Irish media is downright appealing. We do get the infrastructure we deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Have you anything to support your last claim there? To provide the same capacity in Dublin as Metrolink, you are talking about a near doubling of bus services at a time when they are struggling to attract and retain bus drivers. It would take an enormous improvement in pay and conditions to attract that number of drivers, not that they'd be doing much driving as the buses would be sitting bumper to bumper due to them swamping the city. Trying to provide Metrolinks capacity with buses isn't realistic. Without that people moving capacity, you will seriously hamper economic activity and cause all sorts of social issues (as our reluctance to invest in high capacity pt heretofore demonstrates). So paying out for buses/drivers which can't operate effectively and will not provide an attractive service to the public to facilitate modal shift.

And yes I am aware you said probably but no, that doesn't give you a free pass to make **** up.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

23 billion has been mentioned in a worst case scenario by multiple sources. What makes you think, with our record, it will be a best case scenario?

As for me know knowing what the problem is in the first instance I don't think anyone can actually define the specific problem this will solve. It's just a build something for the sake of it at this point.

Take the cars off the road. Increase bus and other public transport options, spread development to the rest of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,375 ✭✭✭prunudo

When you see the social media comment sections on the various media articles, its fairly evident why we are behind the curve and don't get the big infrastructure spend here. Full of negative, narrow minded, anti Dublin bs. If rural ireland can't get a train to the nearest town then the capital city can't get a metro.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Take the cars off the road

Literally what this will do

• Registered Users Posts: 25,389 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Spread population evenly ?

It's not vietnam.... People have a say as to where they want to live.

the same people or some who are for canning the metro I’ve read this afternoon are also pro unrestricted immigration.

loads more people but no more transport options.m couldn’t make it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,875 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭crushproof

Have to remember the majority of his listeners are commuters in their cars, so he's preaching to the choir. Giving them what they want to hear.

This project will never get off the ground, more wasted CGI images and consultancy fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Jesus you're a politicians dream. Blaming our $hite infrastructure on Joe publics opinion??

If we were governed by honest, capable Irish men/women who actually wanted the best for the country and not just looking to line their own pockets then we'd have plenty of infrastructure regardless of twitterspheres musings.

Unfortunately we're governed by self serving greedy narcissists and a project of this magnitude would need to grease so many greedy palms that's it'll never get off the ground.

And if it does it will without a shadow of a doubt be bad value for the Irish taxpayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,518 ✭✭✭cgcsb

What kind of silly comparison is that? Have look at how long the picadilly line takes to get from Heathrow to Central and you pay €5 for the privilege.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Do we think it will actually happen?

Dublin suffers from a lack of investment rather than over population. Typically small countries have one primate city because it gives the country a city of competitive scale in as many markets as possible. Before the famine we had 8 million people and hardly any towns with more than 10,000 people the result is a lack of economies of scale and little scope for new services to develop.

Denmark, Netherlands, Norway, Finland, the baltic States know this lesson well. Irish country folk are unique in their desire to apportion development into 32 equal portions based on antiquated British administrative borders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

TFL Rail/Elizabeth Line is quicker than the Picadilly line but I take your point. 20 minutes is fine and it would be similar in most European cities 20 minutes Airport to centre. The main advantage is frequency, consistency in journey times (no traffic) and capacity.

Looks very similar to the Copenhagen metro from the mockups I've seen. I've been on that and it's a very impressive system if you miss a train there will literally be a train pulling in to the station just after the previous one departed.

I'm more optimistic about it now but then part of me thinks that this is an attempt to set public opinion against the project as an excuse for cancelling it. Certainly the price tag has caused a few sharp inhales of breath. It's extremely rare that the state will spend so much on a single infrastructure project. The only comparison I can think of is ard na crusha and the early free state governments were actually ambitious and had at least some vision for the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,389 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’d be fûcking delighted if it was even half as good as the Copenhagen Metro…

brilliant system.

price tag is a joke. No doubt in no small part due to contractors trying to rape the state at gun point..

• Advertisement

I don't see why I can't be as good once the infrastructure is in place might not be an extensive. I feel once it's build people will see the benefit of such a system and hopefully it will be tied in with the Luas and extended south to Sandyford and possibly a second line would be build.

I see potential if this is build for DART Underground to be replaced by the Metrolink so build a Metro line from Docklands out West towards Lucan and then you could build a spur to Blanch at Chapelizod.

Advertisement