Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woman dumps her newborn baby in the bin and tells no one. Gets three months in jail.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Probably because killing babies is a very bad thing and being "in a bad place" isnt an excuse for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

I agree with you there.

I couldn't do sentencing. I'd be a softy. But a baby. My heart is broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

So? Do you react the same way when someone else but a baby comes to harm or dies as a consequence of someone’s wrongdoing?

Nobody here knows what was going on so maybe you should just accept that and acknowledge that it was a tragic event for everyone involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Judge Kelly described the case as "sad and tragic".

He heard all the evidence, read all the reports and decided on an appropriate sentence according to the law.

I think we should leave it at that.

• Advertisement

I can look after myself. A newborn can't.

I know a fecked up idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭downtheroad

On the same day here's a suspended sentence for a woman convicted of assault.

Yesterday a thread was closed on here about a woman who severed a cyclists foot in a hit and run accident, and several posters said she shouldn't serve jail time because she's a mother.

Deirdre Morley murdered her 3 children and didn't get sentenced to prison.

Do we put any women in jail in this country?

Woman who assaulted another she accused of having affair with husband given suspended sentence

https://www.irishtimes.com/crime-law/courts/2022/07/05/woman-who-assaulted-another-she-accused-of-having-affair-with-husband-given-suspended-sentence/

Hold on a second. I'd really not like this to get into sexes sentencing battle.

Regardless of sex, I think this an injustice. The only innocent was the child.

Which means that you can’t see things objectively. As other posters pointed out before it’s probably good that you aren’t a judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,242 ✭✭✭✭walshb

• Advertisement

I know I shouldn't take then bait, but I will.

Do you believe it was an unlawful death?

Do you believe 3 months incarceration is a suitable sentence?

She was cunning enough and clued in enough to lie snd deceive. Nothing in the article indicates she was distressed, bipolar, mental, or whatever label we can think of.

gave birth, found bin, chucked a defenceless baby in it and on with her life!! Vile!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,152 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

She was clearly denying it the whole time to her family ect, that she was pregnant, all the way up to giving birth, and once birth happened she felt the need to deny it to keep her story, she must have been one terrified person, not some heinous killer. The whole thing is a fck up, she clearly had zero support, her mom has a lot to answer for also. Clearly at no point did her family say ' its okay, we know you're pregnant, you have our full support'

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

That's not true. The facts of the case have been reported.

Three months for such a heinous crime is extremely lenient.

Nobody is refuting that this was an unlawful death. Not even the sentenced woman does, so why are you asking me about this?

I wouldn’t know if the sentence was suitable since I don’t know all of the details, and neither do you. I guess the judge and court did and made a decision based on it.

She was found out shortly after (inevitably) and the body found. I wouldn’t call that “cunning”.

I can accept your utterance, and that's all it is.

It's nothing to do with emotional texture. She threw a kid in the bin.

How hard is that to understand? A baby

I know you're a bit of a shock jock on boards

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

Any word of the Father in all of this, he has a dead child whom he never got to meet or care for, hope she rots in hell

• Registered Users Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭standardg60

Not sure about hell, but if he'd done it, he wouldn't be facing a 3 month sentence, and be described as sad and tragic

• Advertisement

When there's only something like 155 prison spaces for women in the country, I think that says it all about law and order.

How many are occupied by murderers long term?

Ireland - Tough on crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,398 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

It would be ironic if someone confused anyone on this thread of having suggested that someone should in fact abandon any child in any bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,482 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It was an appropriate sentence according to the judge.

to any reasonable and fair thinking people however there was nothing appropriate about it.

but, the usual crapola… someone does something wrong, evil and heinous … “ because my mental health that’s why “

we continue on this trajectory we’ll save a few million a year on prisons…

every wrongdoing….

Judge : “ how to you plead to these murder/ robbery / assault etc charges ?

accused : “ not guilty because my mental health “

Judge : “ ok, I sentence you to three weeks in the south of France on the taxpayers tab, “

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

Awful thing to happen. I can only think she wasn't mentally well. Yep everyday the world will amaze and shock me.

From the article:

"The court heard the baby was healthy when born, had breathed after birth and had not suffered trauma or inhaled water, such as from a toilet bowl. Her death was attributed to inattention at birth."

A newborn can barely move, for example if it was face down in a bin it could suffocate easily. If the bin was sealed well enough it would suffocate.

Key point is that the baby was healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Ouch Chinese Byrne

3 months for woman committing manslaughter/murder

im not surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,986 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I wasn't going to post on this thread primarily because so little is known, but felt compelled too.

What happened is utterly appalling in every sense of the word. I or no one really understands what led to this, I'm actually sickened in more ways than one. We don't don't know the women's state of mind, we know nothing of a possible mental health history, her mother seems to have only suspected her daughter was pregnant and this was a 19 year old woman, likely 18 when she got pregnant.

In essence there's more questions than answers and whilst the women ultimately found guilty of manslaughter and willful neglect and this not in dispute ,I'm troubled based on the reporting of this case why the Defendant was even named , was there any psychiatric evidence sought or given what ultimately led to this tragic event. A baby died on tragic and appalling circumstances, that is absolutely not in dispute.

I'm not attempting to question the verdict but just based on reporting ,I'm just troubled by the case generally.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

If you were the child dumped in a bin and grew up to learn that fact, I doubt you'd be saying the same thing.

The only problem in this case is that the child is dead. A perfectly healthy child dead. Needlessly.

While at the centre, she went into the toilet and gave birth to a baby girl. She placed the baby in a metal bin and returned to the doctor's room, but said nothing about the baby or the birth.

Deception. She knew what she was doing. If the baby were alive, she'd have done everything to save it. If the baby were not alive, she would have alerted the medical authorities already in her presence. She consciously chose to conceal the fact that she ever gave birth to a child presumably due to some dark, ulterior motive.

Moreover, it was clearly established the mental health defence was not justified in this case and so a custodial sentence was warranted. Indeed, the women herself didn't declare insanity.

The only problem, as far as I can see, is that the custodial sentence is an absolute disgrace; 3-months, effectively, for manslaughter - and this does nothing to deter anyone from committing the same inhumane act in the future.

But your concern is with her, and not the child.

Bizarre, at say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Read the first page.. Had to skip ahead to the end..

I am disgusted.

Not just at this story and the actions of this woman, the leniency of the sentence (another example of just how broken our supposed "justice" system is) , and the tragic death of the baby girl at her most vulnerable...

... But I'm sickened to read the amount of pandering nonsense being thrown out to excuse the actions of this woman! Seriously??

This is what we've been reduced to thanks to a combination of incessant navel gazing and the idiocy that everyone is both a special unique flower to be treasured and simultaneously a victim whenever something doesn't go their way. What about the poor little girl in this case who was killed at her most vulnerable moment by her mother?? Noo.. We should feel sorry for the mother instead?!

As devisive, political and deliberately provocative many of the posts in particularly this forum have become, it's very rare that I read something that is just fundamentally wrong on every conceivable level.

Anyone peddling this nonsense needs to take a long hard look of themselves - or better yet (because they clearly need a second opinion), have someone else do it - you're welcome!

A new low folks, even for this place!

• Advertisement

Pretty spot on, this. Exactly my take.

She chose to get rid of the baby knowing well that it was utterly defenceless and in need of care.

the sentence is pathetically illogical. Why not give her no sentence? 3 months is absolutely ridiculous, and odd. It reeks of “I have to give some sentence, don’t I.” With no regard whatsoever for the life taken

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement