Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fell out with fellow housemates, need advice.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Stalk

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 19,538 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

They move in and out so regularly it is hard to keep track of who is there

Load of young foreign women moving in and out all the time? ............................. might be hookers using your gaff as their "business premises".

"Working from home" so to speak

• Registered Users Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

They are not but it doesn't surprise me you would jump to that assumption. It is because they are studying English and the people have been finishing their studies then moving out. The owner of the property let the situation happen and now I have to deal with it. They basically lie saying they are staying but once classes end they move out. The rent is incredibly cheap for 3 bed in the city centre @ €1500 a month

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,271 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

It does not really matter, your post reflects on you. Dumb advice is still dumb advice no matter who you try to wind it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

You sound very bossy and just as bad as the others. You wouldn't allow a dryer. A dryer is a necessity. If you don't have a clothes line to dry clothes, the landlord has to provide a dryer. You shouldn't be drying clothes indoors anyways, it causes mould issues and you have 4 clothes horses!!!

Then you think a dishwasher is a necessity and is more important. Maybe the others thinks having a dryer is more important, who wants to wait days for clothes to dry. But nope, a dishwasher was more important to you and you weren't having it any other way, and weren't even going to entertain the idea of a dryer, so no point in asking the letting agency.

• Advertisement

Not true, not a requirement if there is a place outside to dry clothes. You can put a clothes horse outside

• Registered Users Posts: 8,377 ✭✭✭corner of hells

If the OP has 4 clothes horses, I'm guessing there's no clothes line. So possibly no private garden or area to dry clothes outside. And if there's no access to a private garden, a landlord has to provide a dryer.

Go back and re read they have access to the outside

OP, just arrange a house meeting.

Have a clear the air chat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

The letting agent is not a social work and it’s not their problem to mediate disputes. Even so you smoking weed is been used against you. Stop if you can.

Don’t try to be the peacemaker anymore, keep your head down and eventually they will fall out and you will no longer be the  baddy. When one of them comes to you about it. Say you sympathise with them but you do can’t get involved.

Get ear plugs and don’t react to their noise, they are doing it to get a rise out of you. Instead, lash on the dish washer early in the evening and empty it before you go to bed, if it’s on when you are going to be crack open the door a bit so it stops but isn’t noticed.

If there is zoned heating, it’s much cheaper to heat water with gas than electricity, but ring in the meter reading as you are probably getting hammered by estimated bills.

Stand firm on A not moving in her BF encourage the other housemates to do the same, she’ll eventually move in with them. What are B and C’s visa situation will they be staying or going? 

They said themselves and another housemate hangs out together outside from the house, going shopping and drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭timmyntc

If they all pay rent to you OP, let them continue to do so but dont forward to landlord.

By the time the landlord sends eviction letters youll have a nice wad of cash and will have found somewhere else - buy a caravan

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Kingkong

Previously shared a house for 2 years and similar issues so can relate.

My opinion is you already answered your own question 'move out' and turned to boards for an easier solution,

The problem your having is laziness, you not willing to deal with the hassle and effort involved at the moment.

Get off your ass and find a new place, if you don't you and your new job will suffer and will remain in an unhappy state and hate where you live.

Nobody wants to work with a newbie carrying baggage into work everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭NiceFella

I agree with this, just put your head down and get on with the job. Get some ear plugs in the mean time. They can't be vindictive for too long and as spacehopper says above they'll be rowing with each other in no time.

Do your bit etc and leave an too it. Leaving the house is the best option but I can understand the difficulty there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

from experience, Asians are the cleanest and quietest flatmates

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

7:45 is a incredibly late wake-up call. How you can consistently go to bed at 12am and be woken up at 6am every morning wont be good on the health long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

A. We do have a place to dry clothes outside. We have a huge back garden and a clothes line. I didn't mind getting a dryer but my other housemate, A, didn't want to pay for the lecky. I also thought it was a bit weird to move in somewhere are start demanding to buy large appliances for the house that only 2 people want.

B. We had a dishwasher when I moved in so it was a requirement on the lease to get repaired or replaced. The lease states its our responsibility to report faulty appliances and other things in the house.

Maybe I am bossy but when I'm not bossy, **** like, cancelled gas accounts happen. You aren't coming from a place of knowledge or understanding so maybe you should be quiet in this thread.

Well then maybe you should have said you wanted people to understand your side of things only and had space to dry clothes outside. Your post was not clear and I was only stating that a landlord has to provide a dryer if there's nowhere to dry clothes outside but you didn't say that in your original post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭dontmindme

Just another one of the wild and wonderful places drug addiction brings you. You've probably been dismissing it for years as only a bit of hash/grass or whatever but make no mistake...it is fking you and your life up big style...and has been for as long as you can remember. Do as spacehopper recommends, keep your head down and get help for your drug addiction and look forward to the great life that awaits you.

Yeah I guess it **** with my life more than I'm wiling to admit to myself.

If weed is potentially going to make you homeless and is something being used against you by the bad people around you and you still can't or won't stop smoking it. You have yourself a self destructive drug addiction.

I have stopped smoking since Sunday and thats for the first time since I stopped smoking when I had covid for 2 weeks.

I am doing an experiment, to see if my life improves over the next period of time. I'm going to see if getting more REM sleep helps me think more clearly and less foggy and paro in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭I Blame Sheeple

How has this gone from OP making a silly mistake to your life is now over cause you smoke a bowl every night? He's clearly stated he uses in moderation, goes out of his way to make sure it doesn't effect his housemates and is only smoking for relief of stress. It's the exact same thing as munching 2 xanax every day on prescription, except the weed won't stop working after a while.

OP, just start looking for alternative house-shares and remember the lesson learned. It's always a smart idea to not share with the opposite sex, so many issues that just don't happen when you've only lads in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

I agree that a tumble dryer is not a necessity. I never had one. In my house we dry our clothes outside when the weather allows, or else we hang them inside near a rad.

Bills are going to be through the roof in the coming months, time to be smart

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

if you don’t buy a dryer meet them halfway and buy a dehumidifier, it’s not like the extra electricity is going to make a blind bit of difference when they are running heaters in the rooms

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

I gave up weed and hash in 2007 and it was the best thing I ever did. Life was unmanageable for me till then, but since them it's been great. After a little while I didn't miss it at all, and it's lost all its power over me, although I don't put myself in proximity of it, just in case. I stopped, changed my friends, and life, work, finances, peace of mind, health, relationships etc. improved no end. Go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭tvjunki

Stalk

Hopefully you will see some improvement in your health but give it a bit if time.

I would suggest start setting up a spreadsheet working out the bills.

Take a meter reading when someone moves in and when they leave the property work out their share. Electric and gas are both going up and service charges have all increased. Take a reading monthly and what ever you work out the costs to be pay over what you get to the supplier. No one can complain then.

Your landlord might not be happy the tenant brings in a dryer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

I'd suggest taking meter readings every week, work out what the cost is and let the rest know, so that it won't come as such a shock when the bill comes tumbling in the letterbox..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

You are missing a real chance to go full little finger.

Chaos is a ladder.

Doesn't sound like it would take much for B & C to turn on A.

'A, I'm impressed by how mature you are with how C interacts with your BF, my crazy ex would have been going mad.'

Once 1 of the 3 are down, use the fact that you are the landlord's contact (you have all the responsibility why not use some of the control that comes with it) to choose the next tenant. One to your liking.

Then it's 2 against 2, and as you seem to get on with B. C is your next and final target.

3 to 6 months later. Problem solved :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Great idea.

OP don't forget the standing order, VAT and carbon tax.

Don't forget unit cost be higher next month compared to last month.

Advertisement