Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rochford / Rainsford surname, registrar error?

• 17-06-2022 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am currently tracing back a tree for a relative and have come across what I believe is a mistake by the registrar on a BC (mother's maiden name).

Any discussion or feedback would be appreciated to save me going down a possible wrong path.

I am tracing back a Patrick Rodgers of Killaloe, Clare.

He died aged 54yo in 1961 in Killaloe (estimated birth year of 1907)

He married Nora McLoughlin in 1939 in Ballina (Killaloe is a border town with Ballina in Tipp), father's name is also Patrick, both are laborers at the time.

1911 Census: I believe this is them: http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Clare/Killaloe/Carrigs_Lane/367654/

IrishGenealogy: for a Patrick Rodgers born 1907 +/- 2yrs and I find in Nenagh district (census says born in Tipp)

This clearly says s/o Patrick Rodgers and Margaret Rainsford (right?)

IrishGenealogy: for a Peter Rodgers born 1909 +/- 2yrs and I find in Scariff district (census says born in Clare)

This now says s/o Pat Rodgers and Margaret Rochford

Per the 1911 census, Patrick and Margaret were married 5yrs ago (c. 1906)

IrishGenealogy: for a Patrick Rodgers marrying a Margaret in 1906 +/- 2yrs and I find in Nenagh district

Maiden name here is Rochford

My question:

i. Do I have the right family, and has the maiden name been recorded incorrectly (Rochford instead of Rainsford, or vice-versa)

ii. Have I taken a wrong turn somewhere and jumped to the wrong family? And if so, where is the right family?

I won't rule out that I have the wrong cert, but other evidence seems to line up such as census (sibling and marriage years)

The census also says that they lost a child (3 born, 2 alive) but I have not been successful in tracing this child's birth/death record

Regards and thanks in advance,

RMulvany

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I would try the church for the 1939 marriage to ask what the mother's name was.

Also Patrick's baptism in 1907 - what does that say?

Obviously, neither of these would be online but it should be possible to check.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Rmulvany

Thanks, nearly all church records I come across just had the father of the bride/groom, would the church had recorded mother also?

I will see what I can find regarding contact details for the church in Ballina

Yes, RC churches will usually have recorded the mothers too.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I reached out to the current P.P. for the parish in which Patrick and Nora married but no joy on the mother's maiden name.

"the record in the Marriage register does not record the names of Patrick's parents" - P.P.

Renewed my RootsIreland sub for another month to check this out, and still as confused.

Church Baptism Record:

07 Mar 1907, Newport, Tipperary

Patrick s/o Patrick Rodgers & Margaret Rochford

Civil Birth Record (same as IrishGenealogy)

05 Mar 1907, Birdhill, Newport, Tipperary

Patrick s/o Patrick Rodgers & Margaret Rainsford

• Advertisement

I am presuming there's no image on the Roots baptism? So there's still a possibility of an error.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Correct, no image and nothing available for this date on the NLI.ie website

So it's back to trying the other parish for what the actual register says.

I'm astonished a church marriage in 1939 doesn't record the mothers too but I suppose we'll have to believe him!

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement