Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Our failures in 2019 had nothing to do with depth at all, so I’m afraid you’re talking nonsense there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

No one has ever blamed Carty for the loss. Ever.

It is an absolute red herring that gets thrown out time and again. People use it to deflect from the real reason that Carty doesn't get picked.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Props are different beasts. A good prop is worth their weight in gold...and thats a lot of gold!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,577 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Carty is too up and down! He's like Finn Russell I regards to sublime for one half and clueless the next.

If we had a dominant pack, we'd be laughing. But, we don't. I see Carberry as a kind of B. Barrett. Great athlete and footballer but, not a great out half. Barrett is brilliant all around and can change the match in a second. Carberry has the potential to be somewhat similar, imo. But he's not making much progress. I want him to start this week and play well. He's at around 30 caps now with little to show. He's in his prime!

At this stage Joey could be our guy come the world cup. Johnny is surely going to decline? It's unreal that he's playing as well as he is at this age. Can he continue? Is it worth benching him so Joey gets a run? I think it is. Probably not a popular take, but the potential reward could be worth the risk. There's nothing to be lost if Johnny benches from here on.

If not Joey then who has shown anything close to being a test class performer?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,461 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Barret has speed, strength and is strong in the tackle. Carbery has a decent boot on him. They're worlds apart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

So everyone's just been saying again and again for 5 years we could have had a RWC if Jackson had behaved appropriately/legally.

Basically the problem is summed up there

Even with poor London Irish he does better than what we have..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Jackson hasn't been in great form for LI. In particularly off the tee.

I know that! But Barrett is not a typical 10. I see that in Carberry. Of course Carberry is not in the same conversation but, he could go on to be a kind of unorthodox 10. I can't see him being a clone 10 like RB. Maybe JC is seen in that light?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

He's more like a Wish version of Quade Cooper than anything remotely related to Beauden Barrett.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

So what exactly was the issue in 2019 if it was so obvious?

• Advertisement

Are you saying here Beauden Barrett is not a great out half?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

We’re not totally crippled and utterly inept without him, tho. We’re just not as good. For example, the France game in the 6N.

It’s exactly what you’d expect to happen when you replace a player of Sexton’s calibre with one of Carbery’s.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

RWC 2019, against Japan we were let down by our conditioning, the Irish players couldn't cope with the humidity and wilted in the second half when we needed to increase the tempo and pressurise them more.

Against New Zealand there were too many errors (Sexton in particular was atrocious) and that killed our chances early on and left the team chasing a lead with a rigid game plan that wasn't good for chasing a score against a good team.

So overall a combination of conditioning, coaching decisions and poor performances.

I think the other teams studied the Irish game plan and figured it out so we were shooting blanks come the World Cup. The victory over Scotland was misleading, they were just a poor team at that tournament.

For 2023, we are heading the same way in one respect, in that instead of a 37 year old captain in Rory Best, we're looking to have a 38 year old captain in Johnny Sexton.

The conditioning won't be as much of an issue in France.

The game plan is much better nowadays, we are scoring and creating opportunities more regularly, and the players are throwing off-loads and keeping the play alive with more fluidity.

The issues now seem to be our second row don't have enough heft to compete with bigger packs. We are having difficulties securing line-out ball and also having issues completing scrums without conceding penalties.

The hope is that these issues are fixable and we have over a year to sort it out.

There's a small doubt over strength in depth, but I think that's been overblown a bit. If injuries and Covid are kind we'll be well-stocked for RWC 2023.

Our defence may need a bit of a tweak as well after conceding so many tries last week, but hopefully that was a one-off, and chalk it down to tiredness at the end of the season and jet-lag from touring. A lot of those tries were fluky.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Mate you need to stop listening to the Kiwis if you're thinking Barrett is anything other that one of the greatest 10s ever. They're notoriously unreasonable regarding their own players criticism.

He was the world player of the year in 2016 and 2017 and had to be in the conversation for 2018 when he was nominated and still playing sublime rugby.

If you're considered the best in the world - not only the best in the world in your position - then you define it. Barrett isn't a typical 10 by someones metrics..... that's coz he's better.

It's not a secret why the Blues have gone from consistently worst team in NZ prior to 2020 (finishing the season with positive points diff 3 times in 10 years) to Super Rugby finalists this season. Barrett arrived in 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Shehal

Some common sense at last, it wasnt the issue at all but plenty of "experts" ie former internationals didnt want to blame their mates and former teammates so conveniently found a BS excuse to absolve them of blame.

Except we werent the only team that played in those temperatures...why were we so unprepared? I mean we literally went to the bloody country 2 years earlier (Never mind the city that Japan game in 2019 happened), we knew as well as anyone what were getting ourselves in for, how were we so unprepared? Its ludicrous the excuses some numpties give.

A team like Ireland has all the attributes needed to win the RWC, what we need now is stop making excuses and stop with the small team mentality some people have in various rugby circles in Ireland. If there is an issue you go out and fix it, not sit back and do nothing.

What excuses are you referring to? And who are you calling a numpty?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

If there is an issue you go out and fix it, not sit back and do nothing.

What exactly do you think is the current issue, and what exactly do you want to happen to fix it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭crossman47

I'm very afraid you're wrong there. We don't have all the attributes to win a WC and we won't. You need strength in depth and either a very powerful pack a la SA or else brilliant backs (France or NZ the next time). For all we wish, the best we will do is the QF again especially as it is in France.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

The wonderful irony of someone suggesting to go out and fix something while sitting down and doing nothing......

• Advertisement

No. He is phenomenal . I am saying he's a different, non traditional out half.

Exactly! That's what I was trying to say. On Carberry, he's not looking like a 10 in the traditional sense, maybe the coaches believe he can be a Barrett type of 10.

Like physicality for instance, if physicality was an issue why weren't these issues being exposed the previous 3 years? It didnt magically become a problem in 2019, the issue is we are a mentally very soft rugby nation. I cant remember the other excuses made, I dont give most of them the time of day as its all aloud of bull anyway.

"And who are you calling numpty?" its not just this rugby forum but here is an example from the forum.

OK, I understand now that the point you are trying to communicate is that, in your opinion, we have a poor record at World Cups because "we are a mentally very soft rugby nation".

Genuine question, what would indicate to you from the 2019 World Cup that the Ireland team and coaches were mentally soft?

From my own perspective as an ordinary Irish rugby fan, I thought our players looked panicked against New Zealand, like they didn't have the right game plan to break down New Zealand, and when the things they had practiced started to go wrong they had no plan B to get back into the match, and silly mistakes compounded the situation.

I think we had the individuals in that team to compete man for man, but collectively we didn't play like a team and didn't play heads-up rugby and that's ultimately why we lost. The mistakes crept in when the other team had figured out our game plan and it put extra pressure on everything.

New Zealand were able to combine their ability with their teamwork better than we did on the day.

The current coaches are trying to move us to a more resilient game plan, we try to play what's in front of us and trust in our ability to play passing rugby under pressure. It brings different risks maybe more spilled balls, more pressure on our scrum, turnovers, intercept tries etc. But it enables us to chase a lead, or to put a team away in we can, and ultimately that is a much better approach. At least it feels better when watching it. I'd rather be like New Zealand or Japan than try to be like England or South Africa personally.

Simple, when they were face with adversity they rolled over, its situations like 2019 that you really find out how tough you really are. You get situations like NZL & Wales when they go through adversity that same year, NZL getting thumped by AUS & Wales looking very off the pace in the RWC warm ups where they go out and drop the perpetrators which not only helped their issues in those positions but it also sent a message to the other players who thought they were above criticism that they arent. We changed nothing from personal to game plan, the reality is the reason we did is because we didnt have the guts to make the right call and just essentially prayed it all came together, showing both a lack of preparation made and a real lack of mental strength to go out there and actually fix a problem.

Why did they looked panicked, Shouldn't they be prepared? Let it be known they looked panicked against France in the 1st half and England once England got into their mojo. Its been proven for a awhile that this Irish team simply doesn't have the strength in character to deliver in adversity, yes they look great when things are going well but once you punch them in the face they roll over, NZL last week, France & England in the 6N (Don't let the win fool you). I had hoped in the autumn the NZL game then was a sign that this was changing but its looking increasingly like that was a once off. And that's more proof of lack of preparation, no team should have 1 plan, you need a plan and a back up plan. If you're whole RWC preparation is based on just 1 plan well all I can say is good luck, you'll desperately need it.

We did have the individuals which begs the question how isn't it working as a collective, I mean at least 12 of the starting 15 come from the same club...if anything our continuity should be better than other nations not worse. When a team looks panicked consistently in these situations that's usually a tell tale sign that the work hasn't been done behind the scenes, ie the training ground.

I do like the gameplay done get me wrong but what I don't like is how past failing are still there and not being resolved, im sick of the same lazy excuses being made when other countries who experience similar issues are able to find ways of solving it, we as a nation need to learn eventually to take our medicine and have some self reflection instead of blaming others and making excuses.

We don't have the depth of players to fundamentally change the style we play under or to make wholesale changes.

We have four professional teams, so max 200 players to pick from (already a big stretch), and of that, we have maybe 50 who are international quality or close to that.

England and France have made significant changes, but have a much deeper playing pool than we do.

This lack of depth equally paralyses us in terms of wholesale changes to the gameplan. That's the biggest issue facing Ireland if we really want to aspire to be a top 4 team in world rugby, and it's a very difficult fix.

Excuses, excuses and more excuses. What significant changes have France & England made exactly? Its not just that they are willing to back players that we would never back due to conservatism, for instance Arundell who scored for England at the weekend, would he be within an asses roar of an Irish 23 in a similar situation? Ntamack in 2019 starting for France at 10 before he was even starting for Toulouse at 10, would Ntamack be starting for Ireland at 10 in similar situation? Absolutely no chance, if we were in Frances shoes in 2018/2019 we would be starting bloody Bauxis and claimed we dont have the players.

NZL have 5 and make it work. - Excuse

Can you list to me which significant changes these teams have made? From what I can see as always they are more willing to give a young player a chance whereas we are to afraid of damage them and instead try to protect them and as a result never truly test them which usually blows up in our face come RWC time.

Ive still yet to see how it has paralysed us because its the pure basics and fixable issues that we are getting completely wrong at the moment, if we cant get this right we have little to no chance of fixing the challenging process and in the end why bother fixing it when we can just crying and make excuses, **** suck it up is what I say.

Ok, now you are conflating the nation and the head coach.

It is the head coach that decides what players he wants to select, and he also decides the game plan.

It can’t be the game plan now as you agree that we are playing a better style under the current coaches so we’re down to the coach selecting the wrong players.

So please list which players are the players you think the current coach should drop to send out such a statement as you’ve described. And if you could list the players they should be replaced with that would be great.

Your assertion that the Irish players rolled over doesn’t stack up in my opinion.

A team that rolls over doesn’t get to World number 1, and doesn’t beat New Zealand 3 times in the last few years.

We’ve won away in England this year, and won a test series in Australia not so long ago. We ran a good French team close in the 6N this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

If only Ireland selected young players as they were coming through. I mean as long as we don’t consider Porter, Kelleher, Sheehan, Ryan, Doris, Carbery, Henshaw etc all of whom were backed early. And we best not consider guys like Joe McCarthy, Craig Casey and Harry Byrne who have been backed by coaches nice and early too.

Christ, international windows really does bring out the same old tired stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭VayNiice

I think there's an unhealthy obsession amongst Irish rugby fans to fixate on the RWC and how we haven't made it past a QF, as well as being overly anal about each performance.

If you take the last 3 RWC's because beyond that is too long ago to be relevant:

2011 - complete wrong game plan starting ROG and out coached by Gatland.

2015: Decimated by injuries - Argentina can beat anyone on their day and few teams missing so many front liners would have done much better.

2019: Unlucky to be playing the AB's with a point to prove after losing to us in 2018.

During that time if you look beyond the RWC, Irish teams have had great success at international and club level.

Is there anything to be said for just enjoying the game and not over analysing every microscopic detail down to what colour jocks the lads are wearing? It's sport and you can't win them all. Enjoy it.

Advertisement