Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stranger Things [Netflix] [*** Spoilers ***]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Most of the younger kids are 19/20 now, so I don't think they'll change that much over the next year or so. Or at least not as much as they would have changed between S3 and 4. I was actually expecting it to be very noticeable at some point this season that they stopped filming for the best part of a year, but I couldn't tell what was shot before/after the covid break.

Did anyone else think they changed Robin's character a lot this season? I know we only saw her in S3 interact with Steve and then briefly Dustin/Erica, but she seemed like a pretty cool and smart girl. But then this season they had her being this kind of goofy, clumsy, socially awkward odd girl? I dunno, maybe it was just an expansion of her character, and I still liked her, but she didn't feel like the same person.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,527 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I seen some people saying its because she kinda fancied Nancy, hence her awkwardness.

I don't think she fancied Nancy myself. I felt like they were writing her as having like ADHD or something? She even said at one point that she wasn't good at reading social cues or something like that. Like I said, maybe it's just because we were seeing more of her, or maybe it was a very well played act in S3 to keep people at bay, and now Steve knows her secret and is still her friend she can be more herself. I dunno, just something I noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭fluke

Yeah I did notice it, but felt like it was more of a development/expansion of her character.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭Xander10

Probably in a very small minority but I was finding every episode over long, bloated and tedious. I've given up half way through. And glad to be finished with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,878 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Did love them bringing back Moby's "When It's Cold I'd Like To Die" in the final episode..

.. last heard during season 1 finale.

Even though it was released in 1995, I'll forgive it as it's not being alluded to by characters etc. (can't think of any other music in the series like that - where it's not specific to the year it's being set).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,268 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Much prefer this to people who watch a show constantly and complain about it constantly. If you don’t like something, don’t watch it

• Registered Users Posts: 25,749 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I agree the last episode didn't need to be movie length and 11 and the Hawkins gang were the only good stories. Lucky enough the Hawkins team were so good it was worth it.

Hooper should have stayed dead. I hate those big emotional send offs for nothing.

I can't be bothered trying to spoiler tag the bits of this that are spoilers so anyone who isn't caught up.... SPOILERS!!

Yeah, there was really no payoff to the Hopper stuff. They did manage to invent a way for them to be useful to the kids without being in Hawkins but it was very much a case of them needing to write that in to justify keeping him alive rather than them needing to "kill" him to make a necessary thing happen. They did a much better job with how they "killed" Max, I think. It actually made something massive happen and sets up some interesting possibilities for the character in S5.

If you want to talk about costs too, like they went to Lithuania or somewhere to film that whole Russian section, a completely unnecessary endeavour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Yeah, they were both good episodes with a lot of enjoyable moments with several characters.

Still feel the conclusion was a touch underwhelming, and the epiloge seemed a bit tonally weird. IT felt like the "moving on" stuff from Season 3, but really dunno how given what had happened.

Keeping it vague here to avoid spoilers, but just a warning...

When you boil it all down, it was pretty much Eleven vs Vecna. Some other characters had moments of relevance, but most of it was contrived to make them seem useful, resulting in a glorius, but maybe unneccesary sacrifice for one in particular.

Also felt a bit cheap how they got their Max & Vecna stories to land despite them seemingly being mutually exclusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,217 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Bit of a drag this season, with the last couple eps only highlighting this.

Still entertaining stuff by and large, and it's 80s hook is always its strongest weapon, but the sheer volume of extraneous characters (I wouldn't even call them plot devices) really emphasises how much more was required in the editing phase. Almost every episode could have at LEAST 20mins knocked off it (very much more in some cases) allowing it more focus on the central characters and storyline.

The idea of shorter, more pointed final season is very much welcome.

Only started this season and in episode 1 and 2 we have girls looking for Special K and scoffing a hand fulls of pills after they wake up because of what is going on? I think I'd rather they were more periodically accurate and shown the girls smoking than that ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,878 ✭✭✭✭Basq

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Series finale was a bit of a let down compared to the excellent series we'd had to date. An action movie to top off what was essentially a season of horror and suspense. People may argue it had to be but I think they need to be a bit more clever in how the gang take down the big bad. It can't just be Eleven is going to use her awesome, superpowers again. I mean, it can be, but that's pretty boring and we've seen it too many times now.

The show seems to be better when the Duffers let other people write it. Though I obviously don't know the exact dynamics in the writer's room their dialogue tends to be a bit on the nose. Will literally tells us what Mike's purpose is as if we didn't already know. Several times. At volume. Speaking of which Mike has to be the blandest, superfluousest character in the show now. He's real role seems to be existing to annoy me. He's completely unsympathetic and it's quite clear they don't know how to write him.

Overall I still thought this was the best season and I hope they can repeat the trick in Season 5 but I suspect it will be more showdowny and less investigavy.

Also Freddie de Boer has posted a pretty funny takedown of the show here: https://freddiedeboer.substack.com/p/****-things

I'm not posting this because I agree with everything he's saying, more that some of the points he makes are pretty funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,268 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Will was speaking literally about Mike and the heart though. Think you missed the point of that by a huge margin. Ha

^ I'd assume Will telling Mike how important he is and all that was more for Will's storyline than anything else. Because really Mike is not the heart of anything. Of all the younger kids Dustin is the one that keeps people together, he's kind of the brains too. I honestly don't even remember Mike's part since S1, other than fighting with Hopper a bit in S3. Even his relationship with Eleven is one of the least interesting/compelling ones. I was more moved by Eleven and Will's hug than I was by anything to do with Mike.

I felt the same about Jonathan going into S4, but they remembered his role on the show is really as Will's big brother, and I actually liked him again this time, albeit with much reduced screen time.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Can I jump into Season 4 without having watched the previous seasons?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,749 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

No. Also if you did you would miss the excellent first season.

Nope. S4 pulls a lot of the previous seasons together, I think you'd be lost a lot of the time if you haven't seen them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,607 ✭✭✭✭Penn

No. Why would you do that?

I mean I guess you could watch recap videos for each season, but they'll never cover everything, or who the characters are at their core, what their relationships are etc. The things that happen most in small moments rather than the big story beats the recaps would focus on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭Xander10

Imho, just watch Season 1 and forget the rest.

Simply put... It's summer and I am trying to get out more, I already watch a TON of stuff (plus gaming) and adding another four seasons to the list isn't a great idea.

Then it's not worth watching. S4 very much picks up after some big changes to the group dynamic in S3, and there's two seasons prior to that where we can see how the characters have developed etc.

You'd not be lost, but you'd be missing a lot of what's made the journey to here worthwhile. And a lot of what happens would carry less weight.

So much of S4 revolves around Max. How could you possibly appreciate this season if you're only meeting her for the first time in 4x01. That's just a terrible idea.

Save it for winter then. You've already gone 6 years without watching it, you can wait a little longer.

I think Xander is suggesting to not even bother watching anything beyond S1, including S4.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,607 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'd say then that jumping into the fourth season of a show is probably a worse idea. It's a very popular show and this season has been very well received, but that's also in large part because of the seasons prior. Just jumping into Season 4 means you'd never get out of it what everyone else does.

• Advertisement

Will do... and hopefully nothing else is released in the meantime

Advertisement