Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Wonder if it is pre-recorded to be used on any credits?

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Assuming they follow ITV it will be on at 730 next Monday because of BGT

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Emmerdale was at 7.30pm. Next week Coronation Street will be at 7.30pm all week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

A little mini update on the first 2 months of Virgin Media More. No idea (and probably will never know) regarding ratings. I'm sure it's miniscule.

They have launched a few new shows there, but then oddly VM1 will have repeats of already broadcast shows like Angela Black, The Drowning, Gogglebox at 9pm next week.

New programmes include Rectify, DI Ray, The Voice (S20), Grace (S2), The Thief His Wife And His Canoe, The Virtues, Vera (S11 e3-4), Love Island South Africa, Holding, The Ipcress File, The Serpent, World On Fire, Trigger Point, Unbeatable (BBC gameshow). So it's basically an ITV + 1 Month as someone once mentioned here before. The daytime mainly consists of the same 3 classic Champions League matches that Liverpool and Man Utd faced over the years.

• Advertisement

I wonder did Virgin try and get Liv Golf? At least they could rest some repeats then.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

DAZN have picked that up, it’s been a hard sell because no one that wants to do business with the PGA Tour now or in the future will touch it.

I saw that last week Paul Farrell (managing director of Virgin Media) was discussing how RTE's monopoly of sporting rights is never questioned, despite them splashing out the cash on events would could have been picked up by VM. Although, he didn't mention anything about Premier Sports rights - VM could have went after the Premier league 3pm rights if they wanted, or the FA Cup rights, or any foreign league like Serie A etc.. I guess RTE is always the easiest target for VM's failures to secure certain events.

Rights that RTE have paid for:

- UEFA Champions League (Tuesday games) x3 years and Finals - €10m 

- EURO 2024 Finals - €6.5m 

- FIFA World Cup Finals 2022 - €5m (agreed five years ago) 

- EURO 2024 Qualifiers - €2m 

- UEFA Nations League 2022 - €1.8m 

10million for the one game a gameweek in the CL games seems way too high, quite amazed by that.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/business-of-sport/arid-40886237.html

Do we know what series of WWTBAM is currently running at the weekend on VMTV, sorry I don't watch I just see that ITV seem to have a new series.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement

They just finished Series 34 on Sunday. This series was originally shown from 10th - 15th May 2020 on ITV. Saturday and Sundays episodes were the 7th time those episodes have been broadcast on VM1 ("quality prime time broadcasting here folks")

VMTV FOUR yes that is right VMTV FOUR coming soon.

VMTV TWO to be more yuff orientated

Assume one of the xtra channels is being dropped.

https://www.virginmediatelevision.ie/solutions/latest-news/vms-showcase-2022

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Maz2016

It’s clearly just about ad revenue for them. Nonsense stuff altogether

To be fair, that is the entire reason for existence of a commercial television company, to sell advertising.

A fourth channel is a bit OTT though unless they’ve content to fill it.

It is but their main linense is a public service broadcaster this is why they get 12 minutes of advertising. IMO VMTV are very lucky audience wise, I expect the audience to drop the more and more repeats of ITV programming that they aired on VMTV one and the more like VMTV THREE VMTV TWO became but largely speaking they have retained their audience. If FOUR is purely a copy of TWO and THREE and they don't make radical changes I wonder how the BAI can defend their license?

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭Rick_

How many times will we see the same programme repeated across ONE, TWO, THREE and FOUR I wonder? We've already has the same programme going out on TWO and THREE at the same time, can they manage to do that with 3 or maybe all 4 channels? 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Maz2016

I haven’t seen news about VM Four anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭StevenToast

We need more channels to showcase endless repeats of tipping point....the chase, the chase australia, the chase usa and the chase mongolia......

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

Just goes to show how little journalists and papers care about it any longer. There was nothing about VM Sports shutting down, VM More is not carried in any tv listings in any papers, and now nothing picked up about VM Four, even though that showcase was last week.

Looking at that PDF, they speak about proper identities to each channel, and they need to sort that out soon. They can't just put on The Chase Australia across the 4 channels and be done with that.

But understandable. From what I can see from the link, this wasn’t an event for the press, it was firmly a presentation from the sales team to advertisers/media buyers. It’s an unusual venue to announce an new channel. The presentation seems genuine and there are photos of people at the event giving and watching it. No doubt at the autumn schedule launch (are they still calling it the “upfronts”?) there’ll be further details of the new channel.

• Advertisement

Virgin Media More showing Fear The Walking Dead tomorrow and a few other new shows like Rig 45 and Eli Roth's History of Horror starting/started already. Nice to see that they're finally looking outside of the ITV Studios back-catalogue. Maybe some hope that the newly branded VM channels in the autumn/winter may be decent and not reliant on The Chase & Tipping Point.

First show/episode to debut on VM More and to be shown later on VM1 is S11 E3 of Vera. Shown 26th April on VMM, and will be on 15th July on VM1. The Ipcress Files will also be shown on Monday on VM1, after airing firstly on VMM. Will be interesting if they trail it as a "new series"

I think "showcase" is now what they called "upfronts" i.e. preview for advertisers, while the autumn schedule launch happens in late august.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

When did Virgin 1 and 2 get upgraded to HD on basic Sky packages?

Last week, apparently.

If the PDF is anything to go by the presentation didn’t preview anything content wise, it was more about how great commercial television is in general.

Virgin Television have now used Stella Cinema a few times in the last few years for various presentations.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Has it been announced anywhere if Virgin 4 is going to be on Saorview or Sky?

Absolutely nothing has been announced about it whatsoever. The only reason we know about it at all is that VM Solutions posted a presentation on the internet that includes its logo. The logo is literally the only thing we know about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭JDxtra

VM programming meeting...

I think that is a bit disingenuous:-

There are three things said in that document about VMTV services

1. Player "Stream for Success: Grow VM Player as the leading Irish Streamer"
    2. FOUR "Launch VM FOUR: Distinct audinece profiles and personality for each channel"
    3. TWO "Differentiate VM TWO: Creating a quality Irish youth-focused channel"

They have also mocked up the VM FOUR logo

Do I think it will be on Saorview ? Possible not. But we shall see.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement

And what does any of that tell us about VM Four?

Points 1 and 3 don’t even mention VM Four.

Point 2, the only thing said specifically about VM Four is, er, “Launch VM Four”.

That tells nothing about VM Four; what platforms it will be available on, what content it will have, what target audience it will aim at other than that it will have a “distinct audience profile and personality”. That is so broad a statement that it could mean anything.

Advertisement