Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,727 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Tory vice chair just resigned live on air

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Whilst these men are cowards for only leaving when they absolutely had no other choice ... I can't deny I'm delighted at the prospect of this government finally imploding.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Mogg claiming boris wasnt phased by the resignations and was just getting on with doing the job, so in other words the PMs office is gonna be putting out a tender for redecoration in the coming days.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,510 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I saw the interview on Sky. His take is that a couple of senior ministers resigning is 'no biggie' and there is no particular reason for Johnson to resign, as he recently won a confidence vote and has a big majority in Parliament.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,435 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Doesn't Mogg always do the whole downplaying, carry on chaps routine to go with the stereotype he plays?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,587 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

More pressure on Johnson now than ever before but he's withstood lots of stuff in the past. I'll believe he's gone when I see it. Dorries getting promoted to Health Minister because there's no one else left would be amusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,202 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

This reminds of Biffo's cabinet in January 2011. Everyone walking away and trying to distance themselves and him just a s thick-headed as ever and determined to keep on.

Hopefully the outcome is the same, though I fear Johnson might be even more stubborn. After all, what has he got to lose? He has been unpopular and people have been baying for blood for a while now and he's kept on. As long as Ukraine need weapons and moral support, he had a go-to photo op. Didn't he come out the other day with some feminist quite? I can see him holding on until he's physically forced out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,308 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The chances of a September election in Britain has risen.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Steve Barclay has been appointed new Health Secretary with Nadhim Zahawi expected to be appointed new Chancellor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Any time Nadhim Zahawi appeared on Question Time or other programmes, he looked like he was going to hit someone.

It seems like he has severe anger issues.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Talk now that Boris Johnson wants Truss as Chancellor but Nadhim Zahawi has issued an ultimatum that he will quit if he doesn't get the job.

Can't see why Zahawi would issue an ultimatum, as it'd just paint him out as someone who is willing to accept wrongdoing as long as he benefits from him. Not a good look.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I can see a very simple reason; it's an experience tick box to help become the PM in the future and by the fact you remain in Boris government in the first place you've clearly parked yourself in the "see no wrong, do no wrong" camp of Boris anyway. Might as well get as much out of it as possible as you're tainted either way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Laura Trott and Will Quince have both announced that they are leaving Boris government as well; obviously not as heavy weight losses as yesterday but not good either as we're now up to 12 people leaving as per Sky news in the last 24h.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

i hope he hangs on a bit more so people really get fed up with him and remember him for what he is .a pathological liar.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭Shelga

God, he’s really pathetic. Just no dignity at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I know this has quickly disappeared given the speed with which the Tory government has exploded, but I came across this this morning and immediately thought this parallels were worth pointing out: that this new Protest Bill would likely have deemed suffragette Mary Malony's actions illegal. This is the kind of legislation the Tories keep coming up with - items that, retroactively, read extremely prejudicial with only the smallest side-step.

Treasury minister John Glen, Home Office minister Victoria Atkins and health minister Jo Churchill have become the latest ministers to quit Boris Johnson’s government, citing the PM’s “poor judgement” and lack of integrity.

In a scathing resignation letter, Mr Glen said he could “no longer reconcile my commitment to the role” with “the complete lack of confidence I have in your continuing leadership of our country”.

Resigning as justice minister, Ms Atkins told Mr Johnson that “integrity, decency, respect and professionalism” had been “fractured” under his leadership, adding that the party “must be better than this”.

Jo Churchill quit as health minister shortly after Mr Johnson rose to speak at PMQs on Wednesday, attacking the PM’s “jocular, self-serving approach” in her resignation letter.

That's now a total of 17 ministers resigning; I know Boris is as teflon as Trump was in many ways but it does feel the tipping point has been reached at this stage.

It's not gonna get any better when you consider his new cabinet will have to come from whatever is lurking underneath the barrel because he has always scraped the bottom of said barrel.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭cml387

The Labour party can be fractious but the Conservatives are really vicious when it turns on its leader. Ian Duncan Smith was the last victime of this febrile atmosphere and now Boris is feeling it. I think PMQ's today is the writing on the wall.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,502 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

You can say many things about the Tory party but it's a ruthless animal when it comes to winning elections. It just doesn't tolerate losers.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

The Tories have taken down as many Tory PMs in my lifetime as Labour have.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,502 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

And all over the same issue. You'd think an alleged historian would have seen this coming.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭cml387

There is a report from the Mail that Michael Gove has told Johnson that he must go. An eerie rerun of 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Shocked how loyal he has been compared to others, maybe the penny has finally dropped that his political career has peaked and once Boris is gone his career will slide?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,510 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Looks like things are very rapidly coming to a head. More and more resignations this afternoon - it would seem either Johnson will have to quit in the next 24 hours or he will face another confidence motion.

He can't face another one until the committee changes the rules however but with 24 ministers resigning in less than 24h I could see a rule change coming faster than expected because I doubt Boris will take the hint.

The thing there is that the rules of the governing 1922 committee are not public. They probably resemble convention more than rules per se. This wont' stop them if they think that Johnson has become a liability. Deposing PMs once the mood takes them is something that British conservatives truly excel at.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 10,987 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

According to BBC News number of current cabinet ministers and chief whip are going to no. 10 to tell Johnson to resign. He's currently getting his arse kicked in a select committee. Great to see.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Including his new chancellor... That one must hurt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,435 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

He's really hanging on with his fingernails now. That committee was just him doing his usual BS as if nothing has changed. Brave face and all that.

Advertisement