Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2022 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Ozvaldo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭esposito

I think it’s pretty clear we won’t be getting a repeat of July 2021 unfortunately. The damn Atlantic is trying to spoil things again next week and will probably succeed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Yep the Atlantic is really messing up what was looking like a fantastic run of weather. Everything is downgraded including the temperatures over the next few days due to cloud cover that may have trouble breaking up. We may get one properly warm day on Monday and the breakdown will probably kick in from Tuesday. This spell of weather will be nothing like what we had last July with much more cloud and an Atlantic influence spoiling the high pressure throughout. Yesterday's GFS 12z spat out that cool outlier and now almost 24 hours later it has alot more support. There is still a chance southern and eastern areas may escape the unsettled weather next week but I've a feeling it will affect all of Ireland by Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭mcburns07

What's causing all the cloud?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Being downstream from the second largest ocean on the planet.

that and a dose of misfortune.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

We're on the cool side of the high pressure with westerly winds over us so still an Atlantic influence in play. It should get sunnier across central, southern and eastern areas over the next few days but it won't be unbroken sunshine with gin blue skies. For that we need the high pressure to be sitting right over us and for the Atlantic influence to be completely eliminated. Temperatures over the next few days will depend greatly on cloud cover and sunshine amounts. In order to get high temperatures we then need the high to drift to our east so that it can allow winds to pull up from France or central Europe. At the moment the high pressure is out to our west so we have alot of cloud to deal with and those westerly winds just piling the cloud over Ireland at the moment.

Western and north-western areas will generally stay cloudy over the next few days with a better chance of breaks in the cloud across the mid west and south-west.

A bit cooler at the sailing club,Where's it's Davis located ?

Its almost a mirror image of here actually

Windy and overcast Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Lol.

In Lanzarote at the moment. Not a huge fan of sun holidays but anyway............

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Omg Bill, would switch places with you in a heartbeat....only I have Covid so... :-(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

The Davis (Vantage Vue) is about 10m up and hanging over the pier. BTW, something seriously wrong with there rainfall recording I think due to fact station is attached to a shaky pole!

21.7c atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭pauldry

As well as the noticeable sunless evenings meaning its dark before 9 today I notice all the cars with their lights on in town. Even daytime is dark now. Very little difference between this week and our mild ones at Christmas. No sun, cloudy, windy, some mist, dark. All we need now is the Christmas lights up.

A shaky pole,sure dancing in the clubhouse would cause a high rain rate

Its getting some effect from the water too

High here 21.6

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Pic from my house (with station circled in red)....it's actually on a flagpole/yardarm. Even more shaky in the wind!

20.6c atm in Greystones and cloudy now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

A dirty rough day here in Donegal, the wind would toss ya and the constant spray rain had me soaked to the skin on my walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Very blustery in Cork today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Am I reading this right that the much anticipated good weather being promised next week is now starting to look like a busted flush?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

One nice day is a major row-back from what was shown in the FI thread up to lastnight!

Things started to go a bit ropey from the GFS 12z yesterday. Before that we were looking into at least a 5 to 7 day spell of mid to high twenties next week, this has now been reduced to 2 days of mid twenties with Sunday and Monday looking like the warmest days. Icon and GEM going for a breakdown on Tuesday night into Wednesday morning and GFS 12z ends the warm weather by Monday night.

Basically the ridge that is moving towards us just doesn't have the strength to fend off the big Greenland low that is heading our way next week.The warmth may come back briefly on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭pauldry

This always happens so not really a surprise. If the weather models predicted the weather Ireland was actually going to get they'd die of boredom. So to spice things up and get clicks to their sites they predict heatwaves every few weeks. Same at Christmas when they predict blizzards.

• Advertisement

Tomorrow should be a good improvement across much of the country providing the sun actually shines. Temperatures of 20 to 22C quite widely away from northern and western coastal areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Evening all, lost my password a while back so haven't been on here in ages, just thought I'd check in to see what the f*** has gone wrong with our weather. So far this is a strong contender for the single worst late spring/summer I can ever remember in Donegal, just a never ending stream of grey drizzly muck week after week. Hopefully the second half of the summer can save things but once these patterns set in they can take months to shift

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭squarecircles

The rest of the summer will be the same,just go on a holiday. the place is a nitemare.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭acequion

Actually yes, a great many people,myself included, love 30+ for all sorts of reasons:

1. It is infinitely more uplifting than our cool, grey Atlantic default weather.
    2. The blue skies and light are wonderful.
    3. You don't have to be a sun or heat worshipper. You can sit on a beach or in a garden in the shade, you can wear sunscreen to protect your skin so need never expose yourself to the the direct sun if you don't wish. You can drink plenty of water, which is good for you anyway, to keep hydrated.
    4. You're in constant summer, meaning summer clothes, meaning no heating, meaning being able to practically live outdoors. Even on off days it's still summer. Personally I find that wonderful, "the livin is easy" as the saying goes.
    5. Heat and sunshine are therapeutic for all sorts of mental and physical ailments.
    6. Most accommodations abroad are set up for hot weather with air con becoming more and more a standard and new air con systems almost silent. So in fact more comfortable living conditions than during an Irish heat wave where our houses get too hot.

I really could go on but I think I've answered your questions. 😁 Look I appreciate that heat is not your thing and yes too much heat and sun can get oppressive.Too much of anything is oppressive. But in a heartbeat I'd take it over the muck we get here. And as I've pointed out above you can escape the sun and heat if you find it overwhelming, there is no escaping the cold, rain and sleet grey sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

I’m another who dislikes very hot weather. I generally find our summers in the south east pretty ok. Except 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Still no sunshine though right? All the apps and RTE are showing a cloudfest for the next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

I've already cracked and am in the process of planning a permanent move to the Med after the 'summer'. Can't hack this weather any longer!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Dazler97

I hope where going to still get warm weather next week, it's been so gloomy here in Carrick the last few days

• Registered Users Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭OldRio

Drizzle rain and darkness. Utterly depressing.

Leitrim

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Ozvaldo

We've had no summer in cork it's dark cloud pish with and without rain daily

Advertisement