Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marathon Improvers Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Wottle

+1 for stryd.

If racing the marathon and trying to get your best time? I don't imagine that pace and heart rate will correlate in parallel lines. My experience is that over most race distances for non elites, HR will have an upward trajectory, while you hope pace stays level.

This was Seville back in February and I kept an eye on 3 data fields, lap pace, power and heart rate.

I knew from experience where my HR should roughly be at different stages over the marathon and just after halfway I started to see 170 and knew I had to watch myself , as once I go over that, it ain't coming back down.

I was a little undercooked for Seville and it got quite warm from halfway point.

My average HR was 165 and when doing MP miles for next marathon, I'll be targeting that but also paying attention to stryd and pace and hoping all 3 line up.

Pace will be based off recent race times with a lead up 10 mile and half.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Is there anything to be said for good old fashioned internal calibration on effort without technology? Data is all well and good but when you're racing, whether that be against someone or against your pb , data rarely helps me.

Absolutely, over 5k and my recent 5 miler, just give it a blast.

Over the marathon? Not for me, I'll be a lot more cautious, could be a confidence thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭FinnC

Whatever you feel works for you then use it. If that’s some modern fancy tech great or an old Casio watch or just RPE then great,whatever works for you.Its all just about getting your ass from the start to the finish in the best and most efficient way possible for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭marathon2022

How does effort translate on race day if you have a specific time in mind? Lazare said he had 3.30 in mind so why not train in the traditional manner to achieve 8.00 per mile instead of muddying the water with effort? The bottom line is for me pace is just easier, effort is to much effort for me now, I might change my mind in a years time but there you have it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

The 3.30 is really an estimate of where I think I'll be at, rather than a target if that makes sense. Idea is to target not breaching LT, and letting the time take care of itself.

The better the block, the higher that number will be.

Note to mods, how long does the option to delete posts last ;-)

On race day you'll have no choice but go by effort. It's all well and good having a time in mind and again, all going well that will line up to the expected effort level but come race day, if you stick rigidly to a pace and ignore how you're feeling you're on a hiding to nothing, especially if things aren't ideal like weather, energy levels, niggles.

Also, I think it's all too common a mistake to chase paces in training without zoning in on effort. You'll often not get the planned stimulus if you're running harder than you should be. All well and good having a target threshold pace but if you're not adjusting to how you feel on any given day, well you ain't running at threshold!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Ha - it never occurred to me that Swashbuckler is now a marathon improver, and no doubt will add much nuance to this thread!

I certainly considered my position before posting and justified myself as an improver in my own mind. Haha.

To be fair I was delighted to see this thread resurrected as I'll get a lot from it.

I cant get my head around your point. Are you saying that you dont race or train to pace? I read your log, looks awefuly like you had a pace in mind and trained accordingly.

• Advertisement

Thats fine, and I only suggested you run a 10 mile and half to get a better handle on your level before racing. Im still sure that racing by heart rate is a bad idea but it looks like im the only one. I really do hope you get the best performance possible from your training. On a side note its a public forum, you can ignore any or all posts/comments randomers make . Thats the best part of it.

Ah I think it's a great discussion. You're certainly not the only one suggesting that.

The bit about deleting posts was my jokey way of saying you're prob bang on haha.

Me too, I cannot say how much my running has improved by discussions like this on Boards. This place is a goldmine and all you guys are fantastic.

I kind of get what you're saying with regards to monitoring effort but if a runner is following a suitable plan and training at paces that are either based off recent races or testing and they're managing their training load, it shouldn't be an issue, correct effort and pace should line up.

If however, holding threshold effort feels like I'm running at 5k pace, well I know STH is up and the session is getting scrapped. I'm either picking up a bug, slept poorly or am trying to hold a pace under warm weather conditions.

That's exactly what I'm getting at but not to that extreme. I might have a target pace of 6.10 for threshold but I sleep poorly the night before for example. I feel like 6.10 is a few notches beyond the effort level I'm looking for so I scale back a bit and might run at 6.20 as an example. If I rigidly stick to the pace target I'm more flogged than I should be.

Everyone is different. I just know from my own experience I need to handle lack of sleep and work and life pressures more than some others maybe. So effort levels are key to me. Each to their own.

If you look back on my marathon block you'll see several threshold sessions a little slower than target pace in the early days. Some 5k efforts were much slower than my 5k pace. Just a couple of examples.

Edit. Just to add when you read my race reports these days you'll rarely hear me talking about the watch. I don't use it for pacing. I just go by effort for the most part although different story for the marathon. I was lucky enough to have a pacer. Do probably irrelevant in this thread.

Ok, now I fully get you and I'm in complete agreement.

I'd say the only difference between our managing effort levels, is that I'll drop a session in favour of just getting a run in, maybe you adjust pace/ concentrate on effort.

When I do a session (only when I feel ready and won't jeopardise work) I tend to hit paces as I know even starting I'm in a good place. I probably need to do more sessions but I can't take the risk (I run with a few groups during the week for work and have primary and secondary school athletic classes, so need to be on my toes)

I nearly always get my 8 hours and I monitor my HRV every morning, I find it a really good indicator for how well a session is going to go.

I think having yourself & FinnC in here with all the other posters will be great, fairly sure you talked about mentors or getting other perspectives on ones training in your log and I agree. Sounding boards are good, especially if they stop us making stupid mistakes.

In Seville training, 4 weeks out, I thought I was invincible and a couple of faster runners helped pace me on an 18 miler with 3x3 miles at half marathon pace. If I had of listened to my body's effort levels I would have known things were getting tasty. One of the runner's pushed the last mile of the last set (he's a 60 min 10 miler) and I went with him, so stupid and it pushed me over the edge and I ended up with a 4 week taper instead of 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭racersedge

I’ll join the club of those looking to improve with Dublin in the Autumn. After smashing expectations in Manchester with with a 3:09, the natural target feels like targeting sub-3 (full in the knowledge that Dublin is probably a slower route than Manchester).

Manchester saw me compete with what a few said was relatively low mileage for such an effort. I’ve recently started getting some coaching so I have less to worry about in terms of the weekly plans. I’d say aside from a week or so after Manchester, my mileage has been anywhere from 65-80K a week, which is likely to increase when we start training for Dublin proper. Coming off some new 5K and 10K PB’s in recent weeks to boost the ego. I’ve yet to tackle a proper half at this point, but will in Tullamore in August. Really interested to see where I am at for that. First indication might come on Sunday when I run a 10 miler.

In terms of challenges, it’s a case of managing expectations after Manchester. New baby on the way in September could make final preparations interesting. Finding time for what will undoubtably be extra mileage is also something I’m mindful of in finding balance in it all!

I'd say your recent race times line up nicely for a crack at sub 3, with the addition of a coach and a more mileage.

Looking forward to following your progress again.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

For me and the sessions that I run, it's always a pace range that I run to. Sessions would either be set to a certain pace or an effort level. So it could be 10m at 6.20 or sometime like 8x3' at 5 mile effort. For the assigned pace, I would run them between 6.20-6.30 and not be too worried once I stayed within that range. For the effort level runs, I would have a certain pace in my head but would allow a bigger range for this. So if my 5 mile pace is 5.50, then the range would be 5.40-6.00. Don't mind going faster for these as sometimes having a rigid pace can hold you back.

If my pace was not within the range and if conditions were not a factor i.e. heat, wind, hills, then I would probably can the session as something is not right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

I'm doing DCM too - changing gears from previous Marathon attempts with a new approach.

(1) A lot of HR training - Easy to HR / Moderate-Steady to HR / Some long runs to HR / MP Sessions will be mixed e.g. today I have 12x1k on/off (on/off to a time but NOT to let HR go above 170 - if it does, back off the pace) - others could be 1 hour at MP.

(2) Doing a Steady Run on Sat followed by Long on Sunday - make sure legs are tired.

(3) Doing faster sessions to a pace that's set to a % of MP. (+ the recovery is to be kept strong to maintain HR)

(4) Mid week MP sessions will increase gradually over time - all with a 1km Float recovery thats ~50 secs slower than MP.

e.g. 12x1km on/off - 8x2k -1k off / 6x3k - 1k off / 5x4k - 1k off etc etc

The magic is in the Float as your HR doesn't decrease that much.

(5) Long run to HR - more moderate than easy with segments at Mara HR longest run upto 40k

So - my week will have

1x faster session (as above - 10k pace)

1x MP session (as above)

1 Steady Saturday (45 to 60 mins at 10 beats below MP)

1 x long Sunday - Steady HR with MHR segments.

Seems a lot - however the Speed session is short & very manageable & the Sat/Sun are at 'steady effort for the majority' - I'm managing it quite well and have been using this approach of training for 10-12 weeks now.

Main aim is to make the legs as fatigue resistant as possible - I'll be doing a lot of the longer sessions on the lumpy side of the PP or using the DCM route where I can (Mile 2-7 is uphill) + as the long run progresses - I'll get onto the other parts towards Crumlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Seems you're using a structure quite similar to the Hanson method.

The running on tired legs is a cornerstone of the plan.

What's your max/resting HR? The 170 doesn't tell us much on its own. Looks spicy enough alright. Have been trying to use lumpy routes for all my own steady runs too - important I think.

Post edited by Murph_D on

@AuldManKing Monster of a session today, fair play. You were way shy of 170. In the heat too.

Have you an idea of your current LTHR?

Interested to know how your steady and marathon effort HRs compare to it. How close are you pushing towards it with marathon effort?

Had thought though that steady state effort was marathon effort. Interesting to hear people say they consider them different.

‘Steady’, like ‘Tempo’, is a moveable feast!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

The 170 figure - its kinda like a 'warning light' at this stage - My Max HR is 180 / resting is 40'ish and my Mara HR will be in the 150's.

'Steady' for me is meant to be in 140's - about 10 bpm under Marathon HR - not to be confused with the term 'Steady State' - this is used a lot to describe '2 hour effort' - The NAZ team use it a lot.

Towards the end of my run yesterday I was approaching 170 at times on the last couple of reps (uphill / heat / fatigue) - so I slowed down the recovery piece a tad.

Hopefully as the weeks progress I'll be able to hold a lower HR on these reps.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,674 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Looking at half marathon races to prep for DCM....not sure whether to do Clonmel (28th of August) or Charleville (25th off September) or look elsewhere. Clonmel seems a bit early and Charleville seems a bit late 😂

Looking forward to the 10 miler tomorrow....the test drive in the Vaporflys went grand on Thursday so interested to see how they perform in a race situation

I'm in for Ratoath on September 10th, a little too close to Amsterdam but I can always do it at MP. Perfect timing for those doing DCM and supposed to be a good course.

Ideally I'd have liked one towards the end of August but I'm away.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Sounds like you need to check out the Sub3 thread then. (Not saying this one isn't useful!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,674 ✭✭✭Cartman78

So the 10 miler went ok although the heat was intense 🥵🥵🥵

Ran 71:03 which I'm pretty happy with tbh...that includes a couple of walking breaks...I could have ploughed on but didn't have anything at stake really so took the cautious approach.

I'll throw up a race report over on my blog at some stage.... hopping into a paddling pool now 😎

Advertisement