Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

According to internet rumours and discussion boards, to make the model naming even less subtle, Tesla wanted to call the Model 3 the Model E but Ford objected because it might cause confusion with the Model T (yep, the one from 1908).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,378 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I heard Ford had already copyrighted the name, it was supposed to be for an electric Focus or Fiesta or something

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Telsa agreed with Ford years back (around Roadster time) that they would not use Model E, then changed their mind, then Ford reminded them, then Tesla relented. Ford don't use it either, it's Model e they use

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭zg3409

I was at a boutique festival in the UK. The lighting they used had a long string of lights miles long for the pathway. They were firstly controlled by a daylight sensor so they turned off during the day. Then they were powered by a battery bank which was supplied from a generator. I believe the intention was that overnight the generator could be powered down, and that the overnight services could be run from battery. The same supply could in theory provide AC to low power users. From what I saw the generators never stopped all night. Typically at festivals even if a high power grid connection is possible it's not used due to cost, and most music stages want their own generator in case of power cuts or power overloads mid concert.

From a festival charging point of view it's nice they offered an option, if expensive. Often local chargers would become overly busy at peak times creating queues, particularly near rural festivals. I have no issue with charging an electric car with a dirty source if no other option is available. I keep 2 ICE at the house and one EV as I can rely on getting a public charge. I will be selling one ICE soon, but I think we will long term become a one EV one classic car ICE household partly due to charging networks and partly due to insurance/tax/ cost of motoring. We specifically moved home to reduce the commute and transport costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭innrain

I saw Applegeen applied for another coffee drive-thru with 4 HPC chargers in Rathcoole, on M7 outbound

https://planning.agileapplications.ie/southdublin/application-details/62272

Is the chargers war starting considering Circle K just announced one on the other side of the road or is just Applegreen way of pushing these coffee joints? If the former should we expect another hub at J7/M9 Paulstown?

• Advertisement

Bit of both I suspect, it's good to see more operators getting online with proper hubs. Public charging is obviously starting to make commercial sense

Personally I'm just happy to see some drive thru coffee, having a charging hub attached is just icing on the cake

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

CATL aiming to release an 800V battery which supports charging at 10C, to put that in perspective an 80kWh pack that could charge at 560kW would recharge from 10% to 80% in just 6 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,082 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I wouldn't have enough time to go to the toilet and buy a hape of junk in the shop at those speeds 😔

• Registered Users Posts: 15,345 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Lads still won’t be happy until an EV comes out with a range of 1,000 km because that’s what their Passat does…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Fitz II

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

td red I

feel the torques

come for the power stay for the range 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

I think people would be happy if they could do 600 km in all types of weather and not have 5 apps to charge, cost the same, be sure the battery won't have to be replaced like a Tesla MS or degrade like the leaf.

There is security in knowing you don't have to bring an extension cable and stick it in through a petrol station window to get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭wassie

Having a look last night at what the NSW State Govt in Australia is proposing as part of their EV charging strategy. It clearly sets out how the retail side of things should devlop (along with funding incentives). This then feeds into planning for power availability and access by the wholesalers

They have a stated aim "which will co-fund charge point operators to install and operate ultra-fast charging stations at 100 km intervals across the state, and every 5 km in metropolitan areas."

No mean feat given the size of the greater Sydney metropolitan area is 12,367 km2. In comparison County Dublin is 922km2.

Wont be without challenges, but at least it gives a very clear signal to industry and consumers alike.

From the FAQ:

How should the requirement for 2 x 350 kW bays and 2 x 175 kW bays be interpreted?

We are looking to provide a world class ultra-fast charging network, future-proofed for an increase in EVs, improvements in charging capabilities and caters to vehicle technology not currently available. 

That is why funding is being made available through these grants to ensure a 500 kVA minimum connection threshold, allowing for financial assistance to upgrade the grid where network augmentation is required. The 500kVA connection can come solely from the grid or from the grid and other energy generation/storage options on site (see eligible expenditure on page 56 of the funding guidelines).

Each charging station within a bid requires a minimum of 2 chargers that service 4 bays, with a minimum of 2 of those bays being able to charge an EV at a theoretical peak speed of 350 kW (+/-15%) and remaining 2 bays at theoretical peak speeds of 175 kW (+/-20%), and all stations must also include slow charging redundancy options. Theoretical peak speed means that the single charging unit must be able to charge one vehicle at that speed, or 2 vehicles at half the theoretical peak speed simultaneously. 

So long as these minimum requirements are met we will accept capacity combinations, such as: 

- Two 350 kW charging units that service 2 bays each (able to charge vehicles at two bays at theoretical peak speaks of 350 kW (+/- 20%) or 2 vehicles at 175 kW simultaneously). 

- Two 350 kW charging units that service one bay each, with one 175 kW charging unit servicing the other 2 bays (able to charge one vehicle per bay at a theoretical peak speed of 175kW (+/- 20%), or 2 vehicles at 87.5kW simultaneously).

- Two 350 kW charging units and two 175 kW chargers, with each charger servicing one bay.

To be eligible your project must meet the following minimum requirements: 

- a minimum of 2 chargers to service a minimum of 4 bays concurrently (i.e. 4 charging plugs) 

- a minimum of 2 charging bays rated at a minimum of 175 kW per bay (+/- 20%) 

- a minimum of 2 charging bays rated at a minimum of 350 kW per bay (+/-15%)

- includes redundancy in the system (e.g. an additional 22 kW AC plug) 

- has a minimum connection of 500 kVA to site (where applicable) 

- evidence where a proposed station connection capacity of 500 kVA is not possible (including evidence for rationale behind reduced connection size), and the proposed new total site connection capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

The one thing I took from that is "future proof"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭VikingG

• Registered Users Posts: 15,345 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I saw the twitter handle and saw Wexford!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭UID0

There's a weird choice of metrics though. The % of high speed charging stations is the percentage of AC charging stations that are "high-speed" (undefined actual speed, though)

AC is never high speed. AC is just a socket. As long as it charges flat up to nearly 100% it means slow charging.

• Advertisement

It's a bit of a weird statistic alright. I assume it's based on the theory that most public charging would be AC charging

I guess it makes sense to some degree, for example if I was driving Dublin to Cork, and there was an abundance of AC chargers available in Cork I'd probably just do the minimum DC charging needed to get there and get the majority of my kWh from AC

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The index seems a little bit whack in my opinion. If you follow the source data https://alternative-fuels-observatory.ec.europa.eu/transport-mode/road they seem to have picked a metric where low numbers of chargers plus low numbers of BEVs score quite high and for some reason a high number of FastAC connectors is a classed as a high number of high speed chargers. They even call out Estonia for being forward thinking with FastAC whereas the reality is it's a dead end and should be removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Fitz II

There's a lot of political press on this, Lidl seem to be the only ones really expanding nationwide with EasyGo but at a price...

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭UID0

I'm not sure sports facilities are the best place for rapid chargers. Rapid chargers should ideally go in either en-route locations (e.g. motorway services) or in places where people will naturally spend an appropriate (approx. up to 1 hour) amount of time, but where individuals don't generally arrive and depart at the same time. Sports facilities don't, in general fall into the first category, although there are some exceptions such as Tinryland GAA in Carlow (which has a Circle K on the other side of the motorway where there is a new charge point being installed). They don't really fall into the second category either as people will generally arrive either for training or a match, and will be there at approximately the same time and for approx 1 1/2 hours to 3 hours. Given the general public won't be sure what times matches or training are scheduled, they are unlikely to plan to stop there, as there could be a car just after plugging in that won't move for 3 hours, and it is likely that there won't be facilities around the area.

A more appropriate location for rapid chargers is supermarkets or, if you want sports facilities, gyms. They tend to have a more evenly distributed arrival time of patrons, and would have lower levels of overstay.

The amount allocated seems quite high as well (nearly €170k per unit), unless they are installing in remote facilities that need major grid connection work, or they are >=150kw chargers.

Yes I would of thought a deployment of multiple 11kW chargers was much more suitable for sports facilities. Instead of deploying 1 150kW DC connection they should supply 14 11kW AC units and probably save substantially on the costs.

AC chargers for workplaces, hotels and train stations. DC everywhere else for en route top ups and for those without home charging capabilities

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭zg3409

I believe Iceland is very far ahead in terms of using EVs to get around. However it has a tiny population mostly based and working in the one place. It shows very bad on the chart but is good in reality. That said as a tourist in wilderness areas there would not be charging in off the main road.

I generally like well made country by country EV comparison, particularly in UK terms usually shows up NI as terrible compared to even Wales and Scotland shines above the rest of UK. Most of these statistics often do t take into account typically 20% of chargers don't work at any one time in general, particularly where they are old and out of warranty. A lot of chargers in NI are broken.

• Advertisement

This needs to be read in conjunction with the two recent documents from the LAs. Especially the strategy document published by the Dublin LAs. I'd say the sport grounds proposed are owned or controlled by the LAs and the type recommendation is tilted towards DC charging. When installing a public charge point it seems civil works costs are the highest costs so by installing DC you kinda optimize. In one case study, LGMA shows that installing an AC charger costed as high as 30k! The sport facilities are the low hanging fruit for the LAs and ultimately state as we can see that land ownership is a hard pill for ecars. The 15M for 70 chargers is high but these are press releases and we know how they operate. 10M brochures and photo-ops and the remainder goes to the project

Advertisement