Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travel insurance question.

• 05-07-2022 6:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭

So I had a brief chat with VHI travel today and got the general ok to work away on this basis but wondering if folk thinks this is ok. Covid got us and we cannot travel. I am trying to salvage what we have and have gone to a lot of trouble but now preparing the claim.

Going out tomorrow. Dublin flight to liverpool, bus, hotel, train, manchester, package holiday to marrakesh. Then manchester flight to home. Total cost and reasonable substantiated claim about 2300 euro.

Got a great deal, so cannot repeat it. Contacted package hols and prices rocketed as closer to peak, so best scenario is put back 10 days when ok to travel. Pay extra 150 quid approx for a 7 day hols instead of 10.

Instead of claiming for 2300, intended claim is now, new flights to uk and back, new hotel in uk, increase to package holiday of 150 quid. Incidentals of 150 quid.

Should be good to do a claim of less than 1000. Now will be be splitting hairs here if original flights to uk were 250 quid, while new are 500? Replacement hotel may cost 50 quid more or so, but I still managed to reduce entire claim by 50%

I am thinking reasonably in saying this would be okayed or is someone gonna say claim is for old flights and hotel which were cheaper.

Hope this makes sense folks, it's in good faith and no messing.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

You can only claim for the financial loss incurred, not what it might cost you to re-book

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

So could be better to cancel the whole thing and claim 2300? Then start again?

If you can travel and decide not to, you have no claim. You would need supporting documentation to confirm the situation

The is a "curtailment ' section of the cover and you should read the policy to see what benefits are available where the expected duration of the holiday has been restricted

The holiday cannot be extended, but for a payment, may be able to be postponed but not like for like. We lose 3 days. All transfer flights and hotel would be lost. I may be able to pay 900 euro for new transfers and a lesser hol, and save a claim of 2300.

It would be unfortunate if the rules did not recognise this and computer says no about a claim for 900

. If you have lost all or part of your holiday, the money you have spent in that regard will be compensated. Your Insurers are not travel agents and the only alternative plans they would be interested in would be those that would reduce the loss. If the only way of saving a total loss of €2,300 is to spend €900, talk to them and get agreement. If you can still travel and lose part of your holiday, they will compensate that aspect. In effect, you cannot abandon your holiday if you can still use a substantial amount of it

• Advertisement

The holiday cannot be taken. I can pay to move the package back a couple of weeks and buy all connecting flights and hotels again. 900 quid versus cancellation of 2300. I am awaiting written confirmation this is acceptable. Thanks for your opinion.

So folks, have an update. Claimed 750 euro for more flights, hotel again and small amount for changing the holiday, but did indeed lose 3 days as TUI could not give me 10 days. We pulled it back a few days until COVID cleared and got away.

Hit a wall with insurance company. They wanted letters of cancellation (Ryanair doesnt do them, and the flight left), hard copy proving covid (HSE send text messages), etc etc etc. Everything booked on apps and online, very little paperwork and screen captures submitted refused.

After submitting more twice, still getting the runaround. Asked for dispute resolution with the head company, and pointed out I was on a corporate plan with 6000 others. I was going to publish this crack on the company intranet. Got a call this morning and it was sorted in 2 hours.

I claimed 750 euro. They calculated 1050. Transfer in progress. I am still fuming at the messing they got up to though. It took months.

Yes you read correctly. I claimed 750 and they are sending just shy of 1050. If that is not shooting yourself in the foot, I dont know what is.

Advertisement