Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,612 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

In a way you are correct but you also have to factor in costs. If costs exceeds what people are willing to pay construction halts. A builder providers will not buy products to sell at a loss. It's the same with cement and concrete blocks.

Labour will direct itself elsewhere. Construction workers tend to be very mobile. As well the emphasis can shift from housing to commercial. If houses get too cheap it will be because of poor access to lending. Then you have cash investors buying up stock.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭Villa05

I don't think many posters read that article in full. Increased costs were fully offset by efficiencies elsewhere with margin now over 20%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Every day I get callbacks from Auctioneers now. Over the 3 years I gave my details online, called emailed etc. For the past 2 years it was basically impossible to get viewings or more info, in fact almost impossible to get through to them.

But the past month, they are ringing me to see am I still interested. That for me is a big antidotal change

I am expecting more choice in the next 12 months rather than any price drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭combat14

one could suggest that "more choice" is a kin to either less demand or with the current increase in small landlords selling ... more supply in the market .... more supply with a recession on the cards has to have some impact on price ..

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

"Unless peoples wages increase, house prices will not".

House prices have been rising at a much greater rate than wages for what, 30 years at this stage? 40 years maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Ozark707

It has to start somewhere. The more savvy EA's will start by getting sellers to be "more realistic". I am noticing now some re-listings on myhome at reduced prices so they are not coming up in the price changes searches.

In the US it took a number of months from mtge rates to go up to a noticeable shift there. In many areas there inventory is up considerably YoY but it is only in the past couple of weeks widespread news of more realism by sellers is seeping out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,061 ✭✭✭timmyntc

The banks will not lend beyond 3.5x salary. That rule did not exist in the past - it does now thankfully.

Thats what I meant by decreasing demand causing supply to drop - if wages dont rise then affordability isnt there for new houses, and if affordability isnt there then they dont get built.

Around the same time period interest rates have been falling, multiple other factors also such as grants and shared equity, tax free investment funds et al, but I'm pretty sure the funders of such schemes will also be affected by rising rates

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The 3.5 rule has been in place for about a decade now, right?

I agree that overall and eventually wages will limit house prices, but I am not so sure we are at the point where there can be no further rises without widespread wage increases.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

Not really though, the government/SHBs are still buying up full estates off the books and will keep doing so for the foreseeable future and they don't care about prices so that's one big source of demand.

All I see on the private new build market is new houses getting smaller and smaller to stay within what is affordable for people so 350k might have bought you a 4 bed semi a year ago now only buys you a 3 bed semi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Some really weird discussions here around inflation. People with cash will not do so well in inflation or others with houses in rent protection zones etc.

A significant goal for many working is to get paid the most they can for their labour. Charlie Haughey indeed said belt tightening was needed while thieving all around him. Inflation is a legitimate reason to look for a pay rise. If you're not to maximize your pay for work, I'm not sure what to say....

Ireland has little control over inflation.

It's up to the EU and things are not going well there, e.g. https://doomberg.substack.com/p/moribund-verbund

Germany has been shutting down nuclear reactors etc. for the green anti nuclear agenda and the reliance on gas is enormous. Personally, I think we should be getting between Donbas backed by Russia and Ukraine backed by USA and de-escalating the war. Everyday hundreds of people are being killed in the war machine for nothing, for things that could be solved diplomatically and have the same outcome.

https://www.osce.org/special-monitoring-mission-to-ukraine/512842

We are on the side of Ukraine and its people, that goes without saying. However, the government and public bodies should be looking at the ceasefire violations prior to the war and then acknowledge the problematic nature of the Azov and Kraken battalions, the banning of the Russian language in Ukraine and imprisoning of the Ukraine opposition leader. This is not to excuse Russian's invasion but to acknowledge some Russian grievances and the grievances of those in the Donbas in order to find a way to end the war.

Back to basics. If you're not trying to maximize payment for your labor...... why are you working? Ireland is not the USSR.

If you're saying people should not be striving to be well paid, maybe you are sitting on a load of cash or something silly like that. In that case, you should be diversifying and not shouting at people to not look for the best rate of pay.

So depending on how things go, we could see severe inflation where food never mind accommodation becomes an issue. In such a case, who knows what happens. What person would want to sell an asset for a currency that would be devalued very quickly? Prices could go through the roof! Or other circumstances, we could see an end to the Ukraine war, a slowdown in immigration, supply catching up with demand and maybe even a property crash if companies like Facebook (meta), Pfizer (covid 19) start to downsize internationally including in Ireland.

None of those thing would make me not want to maximize my labor in exchange for payment. Anyone saying otherwise..... I despair.

Post edited by mcsean2163 on

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭SmokyMo

Your points on Ukraine are nonsense. Grabbed from somewhere with zero understanding of Ukraine, its war, and internal relations with russians.

In addition, its been shown numerous times, that contrary to major belief, one of the better hedges against inflation is cash.

In addition, its been shown numerous times, that contrary to major belief, one of the better hedges against inflation is cash.

Care to share some evidence of this? That appears to be very counterintuitive

Secondhand houses will stop that from happening though - why pay 350k for a 3bed when there are 2ndhand 4beds for that price. You get away with a certain price difference for the new nature of a house, but when it gets smaller and smaller eventually the demand drops off entirely.

My points are grabbed from the organization called the OCSE, an organisation composed of 57 participating States, 6 Mediterranean and 5 Asian Partners for Co-operation which was monitoring the ceasefire violations in Ukraine. I personally emailed them having seeing some strange statements online about their coverage. I believe most are familiar with amnesty international. Here's the opposition leader jailed in 2021 https://www.euronews.com/2021/05/13/ukraine-opposition-leader-and-putin-ally-under-house-arrest-after-being-charged-with-treas

You can google the rest.

I say let us help the refugees of the horrendous war and help end the despicable war.

On inflation ... https://www.cnbc.com/2011/02/14/The-Worst-Hyperinflation-Situations-of-All-Time.html?__source=sharebar|twitter&par=sharebar

Cash is not always king. I think everyone with a secondary school education realizes that and knows that the Nazis arose from the dire hyperinflation conditions in the Weimar Republic.

Anyway, away from all that stuff. Price drops seem to be the name of the game in dun laoighaire

https://www.myhome.ie/pricechanges/dublin-south-county/dun-laoghaire

Last September there were 28 properties for sale. It's 62 today.

It seems not everyone has a million down the back of the sofa to buy a nearly derelict pile.

Big drop in oil today, long may it continue (big fall for euro also)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭Timing belt

That’s thanks to the inverted yield curve which normally is a sign of recession

• Registered Users Posts: 14,569 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

The price of oil has dropped considerably over the last couple of months, but oil has to be refined to produce petrol/diesel, and that requires huge volumes of gas, which mostly comes from Russia. So the traditional associated drop in the price at petrol pumps is not being seen to the same extent.

That is an interesting take, one that I find hard to believe. Do you mean physical notes, or cash on deposit? If the price of goods and services are increasing, the value of both would appear to go down rather than up as both buy you less than they did when goods and services were less expensive. I could understand it if you said Gold was one of the better hedges as traditionally people invested cash in gold at times of economic instability. But cash? Hard to see how that stacks up unless you are talking about the grey economy where paying/being paid in cash avoids taxation.

• Advertisement

He bought 4 Traverslea Close off plans close to the height of the boom for €1.65 million

16 years later, on sale for €1.595 million, slightly below the 2006 price.... despite 16 years of inflation. Not for me but interesting nonetheless, I wonder will it make 1.595 secondhand? Can't see any record of number 3 actually selling on https://www.propertypriceregister.ie/

Sean, are you planning on posting loads of adverts for houses for sale and then commenting on each one? Another poster used to fill pages with their posts like that and it’s not at all interesting unless you are planning to buy one. It just means they were overpriced to start with and the owner has either realised it, or is dropping to generate a bit of interest. Hardly a sign that a crash is nigh.

Oh, and it hasn’t been 16 yrs of continuous property price inflation since 2006.

David...

are you planning on posting loads of adverts for houses for sale and then commenting on each one?

no

Hardly a sign that a crash is nigh.

The signs are usually easier to recognize after the fact I believe? I can't state whether it is a sign or not yet.

it hasn’t been 16 yrs of continuous property price inflation since 2006.

Agree.

It has been 16 years of reduced purchasing power of the euro, which is what I implied but am stating explicitly now. Here is a link that may help explain https://www.in2013dollars.com/europe/inflation/2006?amount=100 To clarify further. €1.65m in 2006 is equivalent in purchasing power to about €2.12m today

It just occurred to me the price was interesting when looking at Dun Laoghaire which is not our prime location but a useful reference. I wonder have we peaked or still heading to another peak?

I suspect the peak is in and will be interesting to see the price the property sells for in terms of the wider market. It's nice inside and would surely have solid rental potential but would that cover the cost? Will a family go for it? I guess we'll find out in a few months...

Now David,

Do you plan to question the motivation for each and every comment I post?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭combat14

Euro falling towards parity pain point (Rte)

The euro has lost 10% compared to the dollar this year and at $1.0238 is close to the psychologically crucial parity point it last saw in mid-2002, when it was just three years old.

However, Nomura said that $0.95 was not that important historically, noting that the euro fell from $1.17 after its creation to $0.82 in October 2002.

Extrapolating backwards using its legacy currencies, the euro traded as weak as $0.6444 in February 1985, they added.

Economists expect the euro area to slip into recession faster than rivals. Nomura expects the euro economy to fall into recession by the third quarter with a total decline in GDP of 1.7%.

difficult decisions ahead for the ECB they need to raise interest rates (substantially) to combat inflation and falling currency but at the same time dont want to aggravate the coming recession or spark another debt crisis in Greece, Spain,Italy,Portugal, Ireland ..

just a sign of serious tight rope walking going on across many global economies ..

make one nervous buying houses at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

No, essentially, as businesses' ability to grant wage increases is depleting by the day with consumption declining while production costs are increasing. "Growth" in the "economic growth" sense, will be lower, inflation will cool as suddenly there will be less of an energy crisis, untangled supply chains, workers needing more hours and raw materials being easier to obtain. This is what happens in a slowdown; house prices obviously don't move as quickly as markets but the drops in markets should be a sign of that something is coming with house prices (as property investment is high risk and highly speculative, as people seem to have forgotten).

We will see a short, sharp "recession" (on paper though we all know that progressively the last few years many of us have gotten poorer due to rising cost of living (not fully captured in the CPI)) followed by a new QE pump under the guise of something like a massive infrastructure development / green transition / build back better project. It will all be well and good having a mortgage but you can't eat your house and having good savings and a stable job will be, as it always is, the determinant as to how you ride out the "recession" / slower growth period.

Likely timeline for "recession" to bite is towards the end of the year and into next year, showing up in data through this time next year, leading to the response measures (ie renewed QE and "build back better" / infrastructure plans) by early 2024. Speculation in assets, including housing, will no longer exist as it has done which will ensure that housing costs do not ultimately climb back to these current, high levels for a long period.

Getting back to more tangible topics on the housing emergency we have in Ireland - the sky is blue apparently! Home ownership rates have collapsed in younger people which will pose severe challenges into their retirement as they will be renting and need State assistance almost certainly to pay this rent.

As I have repeatedly stated, if the Irish housing market does not correct from the global economic factors, almost certainly the house prices of today will be a thing of the past as the electorate vote with their feet - quite simply really; if the majority of voters rent and feel they are paying far too much for their rent, they will vote for anything that might bring down the cost of housing. It really is that simple; while homeowners held the balance of voting power through the last twenty years which manifested in a rising housing market equating to wealth generation, the next twenty years will be a reversal of this trend as a rising housing market equates to an erosion of wealth for those that don't own their home.

The research by the Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI) found that the share of 25-34 year olds who own their own home more than halved between 2004 and 2019, falling from 60 per cent to just 27 per cent.

An example of what quantitative easing achieved. I recall Tottenham hotspur's Daniel Levy getting one of those loans during the pandemic

Happy days the extreme wealthy can make a killing, while we all pick up the tab through inflation

Unlimited money cheat code unlocked.

The banks get free money from the ECB, then give it back to the ECB to earn interest.

Sustainable?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Nice bit of business from the developer here: https://www.irishtimes.com/business/2022/07/02/german-investor-pays-42m-for-malahide-road-apartments/

get the state out of desperation to lock into a 25 year lease (likely inflation linked) and tick a box on the social housing provision which makes it likely to be ESG compliant and bang, flip it to the Germans for a chunk of change. With the state underwriting asset values like this from general taxation and acting as dumb money it's hard to see a fall in prices.

"Without the investor these apartments would not be built".

But also;

"Demand for housing is high so prices won't drop"

Yet somehow this high demand would not lead to any housing being built to be sold to individual buyers - doesn't add up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

I personally don't see this having any major positive effect on the property market and definitely won't be the game changer the political parties (especially the opposition) make it out to be, more a political soundbite to say they did it.

Advertisement