Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef price tracker 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Factories are winning again....well played Larry👏🏻

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

These was a lot of store cattle bought at fancy prices 6-10 weeks ago. It was something we have not factored in. Lads may be offloading these for fear of a complete crash.

However things can change in a few weeks. When they are gone they are gone. I saw 16 month old 490 kgs mart weight friesians last Monday in Killmallock.

That is some weight for those type of cattle. A lad could kill them off grass. What was more interesting was that if you slaughtered them they nearly leave a 100 euro margin

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭Dozer1

agree with Bass on the mart prices, sent 3 cows today to mart and they only did ok, 1st one needs a good bit of feeding but she's only 3 year old, other 2 were 5yr old handy cows with a good cover of flesh, calves came straight off em, now the last one I bought with a calf at foot last Oct for 1200 and the calf made 1050 Monday so I can't complain

• Registered Users Posts: 5,067 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Will the World Cup make a difference this year? Not to many having BBQ’s in November

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭morphy87

Have they giving you a price for Monday week yet or do you have to wait till next week for a price?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭kk.man

Wait for a price.. unfortunately..he said they are 4.90 as they stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭smallbeef

The vast majority of these heavy cattle were bought by factories. They were put in feedlots so they had a bank of cattle to kill the trade with. They are deploying them now. Should have seen it coming, they weren't 'starved' for cattle back then, they just knew by paying any price in the marts for a few months, they could kill the trade when the large volumes of grass finished cattle arrived, and they have the 30 month limit in their favour now too. And we thought they had gone soft 😪

Also killing the mart trade so their winter finishers can get cattle cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭kk.man

You have hit the nail on the head on both counts.

I was in the mart a few weeks back and asking the yard staff where the elefants were going...he told me straight into a shed..I was gob smacked. Lorry guy told him they were being brought to sheds no special feeding just maintenance. We are seeing the consequence now.

Yes cattle are going to be cheaper for those feedlots.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Jb1989

And plenty of farmers made super money in them few weeks the factory's were filling feed lots,

Not the factory's fault that everyone didn't cash in their animals when the going was good.

Your spot on with your comment, it’s just a case for how long these cattle that they bought will stay in the system until the thing frees up a bit again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭cute geoge

There was good money paid no doubt but it still only equalled what most animals would have hung for at the same time .Sure we had adviserers on here saying farmers would be better off to feed them on for a few weeks extra and factory them then!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,626 ✭✭✭White Clover

The factory owners remind me of Russians......not to be trusted!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,906 ✭✭✭amacca

Any idea or way of estimating how long that will be?

Before they wash through I mean....

No idea but you would imagine that if this is what there at they would have it timed to last until large numbers start comming fit to sell

The price is only going one way now.....and its not up!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭893bet

dont panic lads, flesh will be scarce as long as demand holds

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Jb1989

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭Good loser

Last week was told of a guy with a lot of U grade Charolais was offered €6 per cwt. Turned it down - asked for €7.

My point was always to move fit cattle but not to panic. As usual there is an organised panic. Watch the verified factory returns over the next 2-3 weeks.

The prices will be away above the actual price paid to ordinary farmers. It takes much more than there own feedlots to supply there needs. Onve again I think they have promised selected supplies guaranteed prices over the next 2-3 weeks with the chance of reduced store prices.

If I am wrong the factory returns for this week's cattle will reflect a 4.9-5/ kg base and next week's a 4.8/ kg or less. I expect it will not

There was a very good reason that a section of farmers wanted that processor's or there owners to not be allowed to own feedlots. In the US no processing units or there owners can own feedlots.

How long will it take for these to feed through the systems. The numbers suggest that supplies will not be overerly strong from now to the end of the year. Mind you more and more cattle are slaughtered 18-22 months every autumn.

The other factor is there will be no extra profit made by smaller finishers one way or the other. If we had moved cattle 1-2 weeks earlier in mass the collapse would be sooner. At the end of the day it neither you or I that really suffer over this.

No there are those who kinda think this is right and proper. It's ok because it's immaterial to finishers. The losses are passed back to the layers below. Stores were too dear we hear. Stores need to be cheaper in the autumn for winter finishers.......why so that processor's can continue to refuse to give price guarantee's to smaller finishers.

That is why me and jJam and other here have exited winter finishing. But the nice photograph on the ABP, Dawn or Kepak brochure will be of cattle out on grass and the nice farmer in the wax jacket looking in over the gate.

What has gone on over the last ten to fourteen will drive 100 euro off store prices. The real looser is the store or suckler farmer not you or me.

And you are included in the above as well

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

Was talking to a man tonight, he rang an agent Monday night and his cattle are going Friday morning,no problems, they are going to an independent plant in the south east, he wouldn’t say what he was getting only that it was flat price

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I'm trying to do a few sums here this morning to see whether it's worthwhile feeding cattle until Xmas or offload a few as forward stores in Sept/Oct. I planned to offload them but I now have extra silage and a shed free until Xmas.

Did I see someone had an estimate for how much it costs to feed a 15-16 month animal per day? Would a figure of €2 be about right, if you were feeding silage and 2kg nuts?

The cattle are a mix of bullocks and heifers, mostly LM, HE, and AA. All dairy-crosses. They should average 370-400kg in Sept. I weighed them on 23-March and am assuming 0.8kg dwg on grass only til Sept.

All corrections welcome!

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭smallbeef

Generally a bale lasts 1 day here for 32 of those type of cattle (assuming bales are fairly dry). I am valuing bales at 40euro this year, so that's 1.25euro a day on silage. Grain prices are well down from their peak so I wouldn't expect ration to be over 420/t over the winter. So that's 1.25+0.84=2.09/d on feed costs.

Edit: I don't feed ration to these cattle over the winter so probably a bale would last longer for you with the 2kg of nuts.

Would you consider not just keeping a few and overwinter on silage only and put to grass next spring and slaughter next July. Other option is to seel these next April. Feed 1-2 kgs over the winter. Prices start to rise after Christmas for stores and generally peaks in April.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭cute geoge

I love the way you do all the figures but the reality is when you start making up is that you probably wont be paid for keeping them so why bother .

Farming only really makes a good twist when the unexpected happens like the mighty beef prices from mid May to June ,other then that you are only plodding along .It like the fellow going surfing youy need to be at it to catch a wave!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭Base price

We've killed in three different factories over the past few weeks (I'd prefer not to identify them as by doing so might identify me) and the common denominator is cheap processing beef i.e. P & O grading boner and steaker cows. The lairage in the three factories were filled with dairy cows either straight out of the parlour or 2/3 in flesh. We kill in the factory that quotes the best price on the day and have no loyalty to any.

370-400 kg stores are poor sellers if they are bullocks. You need to be up above 450 for AA and HE and 500 for Friesian and similar for dairy continental crosses. The higher the weight the higher rate per kg. The whole thing then is if you can efficiently carry them over the winter. If you do not sell in September generally any weight gain to sell in October/November has a very poor return of sold then.

I be inclined to sell the heaviest in early September and carry what I could until next spring.

Siamsa are you allowing for the difference between live weight and Mart weight in your calculations

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Siasmsa.

I'd skip killing the Lmx the winter. Personally I think they would take too much driving on

I did a batch like that this Spring, did well but they were bought when prices were poor enough and sold when they price was good.

As the poster above said, I just happened to catch the wave.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Thanks for the replies and suggestions above. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again - the posters on here are brilliant.

I’m caught for space in the yard after Xmas as I’ll have 30 weanlings coming in after them being on kale outside til then. But I might be able to set up a feed barrier outside of a cubicle house to keep maybe 15-20 of the cattle in that after Xmas. It’d be a bit of research anyway to see how it would go.

Grass is spring would be the next issue. The stocking rate is relatively high here and the 30 weanlings would be the priority. But it wouldn’t be the end of the world if I had to sell the 15-20 cattle out of the shed in April as Bass suggested.

I might weigh the cattle in Sept again to see where they’re at then.

Thanks a million again

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Why so many unfleshed dairy cows at this time of year

Advertisement