Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2022 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭pauldry

Ya I saw BBC weather and tomorrow might actually see sun in the NW briefly before drizzle returns later.

Lights on now as it's dark and wet n windy n 13c. May June and July so far definitely the worst in the West in my lifetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Cloudier than normal but it's been pretty dry in South Dublin, far from the worst. Was 23c here today. Seriously people complaining that's it's wet in the NW what's new?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Some difference between the city and where I am 25km east. Been bright enough here since the afternoon. At least it's dry and mild.

It's been the same in the city. Sun has popped out a few times and the cloud is thin enough. Dry and warm and overall a pleasant day.

I'll tell ya what's new. No sunshine no temp over 20c and constant wind. We have had much wetter Summers but a few days of pleasant 20 plus degrees in April June whatever. This year nothing. Our last warm Summer day was in September 2021.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭joe199

As depressing as it is its true, let's hope this spell can come through for us

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭ascophyllum

This spell is notable in the West and NW for it's persistent status, we do expect inclement spells in summer, the occasional downpour and some wind but we do generally get lots of sunshine and at least things keep changing. We usually get a very settled spell with east winds in May and sunshine, then often a spell where winds are North for a while with lots of sun, albeit cool evenings. Basically when it's changing it's not so bad and a bit of sun makes the world of difference.

This year since about the end of first week of May bar a handful of days we've had virtually non stop wind, drizzle, cool temperatures and complete absence of sunshine for 8 weeks straight. I can't recall such a monotonous event in my lifetime before.

I'm not sure if this is what a strong La Niña brings or if there are other global patterns that are similarly behaving as such (you'd imagine if the Azores high and the Iceland low are so stationary this year that somewhere else is having a similar anomalous event)

I don't know if the stats on sunshine and max temps backs up what I'm saying, be very interesting to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭mcburns07

I thought Ozvaldo was based in the city, apparently not!

I swear for the last 2 evenings in limerick on a hill theirs still a autumn breeze blowing. Their was wind howling this afternoon when I was indoors, I couldn’t believe it.

A bit surprised by the Met Eireann graph coz it shows early May temps were above average a lot. That must have been our good spell that we didn't realise was happening but look closer and you see the 20c line has only just about been breached a couple of times.

As for sunshine Belmullet had 14 hours in the past week which is 48% of average. In Sligo bar Saturday wev had about 2 hours so I'd say about 30 percent. For Summer as a whole probably something like 60 percent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,613 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

The mean sea level pressure anomaly reanalysis for May to July 2022 (July being only to the 3rd so far) would favour persistence of the drab conditions that you describe and agree with anecdotal experience. Whilst such a pattern isn't that unusual in say July, for May you expect greatly less westerly influence than we seen in May 2022. It was one of the most westerly Mays I've personally seen. I noted less easterly winds than I'd expect in a typical May. The cloud from the southwesterly winds combined with frequent tropical maritime airmasses also meant significantly milder than average nights - some of the mildest on record.

The last time we had a period of easterlies that didn't have a southerly (occasional days in May) or northerly component (late May/early June) was back in the final week of April.

If we cast our minds back to March which in my opinion is by far the best month this year so far, we can see a distinct lack of westerlies with high pressure ridging to us from a core over southern Scandinavia. This meant lots of sunshine and later in the month before the final few days decently mild conditions for the time of year.

Quite different to what May 'til now has brought.

unbelievable gloom here in East Meath and I am about 1km from the sea.

I see RTE Weather are now saying weather and cloud wont lift until Sunday whereas at the beginning of the week they were saying Thursday and Friday would be sunny. Ain't looking good. The darkness is just unreal. At least its dry I suppose but the cloud affects mood no matter what you do.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The weather over the past 2 months in the north-west sounds horrendeus. A very similar story to Scotland although the extreme east of Scotland hasn't done too bad in the past 2 weeks. The weather here in Meath sounds nowhere as bad as the north-west but I have to admit this is a fairly poor summer even in the east and south. By this time last summer I had sat outside for my lunch at least 20 times if not more, this summer I have only sat outside 4 times and not once this July so far. I actually sat outside for my lunch comfortably in a tshirt way more than this during March and April this year when we generally had really good weather and nice temperatures for the time of year.

The temperature profile over the next 9 days here looks decent enough, but how much sun is there going to be is the question and if we're due several more mostly cloudy days then that is a big dissapointment. Reminds me of Summer 2020 where we got one week spell of high pressure in August and the entire week was cloudy after an entire summer of cloud and rain.

A few days ago it was beginning to look like we were turning a corner on summer and that this July was looking very positive indeed, while I never believed the crazy hot GFS charts, it was starting to look like a repeat of July 2021 which I loved, but sadly I think this July is going to be not in the same league as last July. Still whatever dry and warm days come this way over the next week or so i'll make the most of it because there is absolutely no guarantees that the second half of July and especially August will turn out better than June and this first week of July.

I forgot to mention the relentless wind (East Meath). Wind makes me unsettled when it goes on for more than a day or so. This year has been unreal and has really affected my plants especially foliage. I cant remember so many months of wind before....... apart from in Winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,159 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

BBC long range forecast on there, every day next week reaching over 30 in the south of the UK . Back to here ,Sunday/ Monday looking nice everywhere then more rain/drizzle/low cloud for Mayo Sligo Donegal Tuesday. By in large though,away from the W/NW the weather is looking not so bad.

One thing though last week sometime Joanna Donnelly,mabey Wednesday, stated "Summer is coming next week" i.e this week. Very silly comment to come out with on a live broadcast to which people make plans around.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The South east of the UK and much of the far south have had a decent summer so far apart from the first week of June which was poor everywhere. The past 2 Atlantic driven weeks hasn't really affected them much, they still getting low twenties on a daily basis with sunshine on offer most days. Wales, the north-west of England and the west midlands has been more like Leinster in recent times, just very average conditions. Looks like the cloud will break easily for them from tomorrow but we will have to wait till Sunday before we see any real sunshine based on the current models and then it's back to cloud from Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,645 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It's been sh1t, sh1t, sh1t so far in the far north this summer.

To see a summer music festival in July, with everyone wearing coats zipped to the neck, and wooly hats just shows why we are so miserable a lot of the time. I really miss my sun holiday this year. Will definitely be booking one next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

To my friends in the North West the weather where I live in the south east whilst maybe not quite as bad as what you’ve had is pretty miserable. Cold yes cold in dungarvan tonight windy and so dull. It’s manky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭squarecircles

When i looked out the window there,there was a brief break in the grey pig scutter stratus cloud,i saw a bit of the ozone very briefly and some twilight. It was quite strange to see, then buried and choked under the muck again.

it made me think of all the people across the continent tonight enjoying an early july evening,and the desire to be alive that it brings.

Most places are currently cloudy n gloomy but mist n heavy mist have been in Sligo since 5pm bringing a grand total of 2.5mm. This Summer is equivalent to suffering a slow death but I don't want a sun holiday as I like this country and have been on enough sun holidays. Also will only lose bags going through "that" airport. All I want is to see the sun.

By the way the count I was doing that ended 16 14 to ok days in June (surprising enough but it was dry and cloudy a lot) is now gone 17 19 to the bad days. Saturday was a decent day here.

• Advertisement

... and then the sun tempts you when it shows its face for 2min, you get a taste of the heat and think about what could be.

Personally I can live with it but it's a sh1t summer holidays for the kids when they are waking up to grey skies and drizzle every day.

I have seen wetter summers for sure but as dull as this I don’t know.

ME Sunshine (only) Synoptic stations for June

Valentia had least at 110 hours

Johnstown castle had most at 199.4 hours.

NI as a whole averaged 108.1 hours(west much lower)

Scotland 170.2 hours

Wales 190.7 hours

England 220.9 hours

UK average 195.8 hours

Scotland closer to Englands average than NI says it all. July has been duller than June was so far.

Depressing stats.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

This summer has been cloud and a skinning northerly wind but I will say that we get an hour or two of cloud break and it’s glorious in that. My kids have been in the pool every day for the past 2 weeks in those breaks in the cloud. For certain it’s a bad summer but I remember worse when Rihanna sang about her fecking umbrella and it rained non stop pretty much. I think the forecasts have been useless ever since the Russians invaded Ukraine. Every day we hear in the next few days things will change and they don’t. But we got an exceptionally mild and calm January and we’re paying for it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭babyducklings1

We have such a bad climate, I used to joke years ago about gov. giving everyone rain boots and a proper rain coat to walk in the #hit weather. It’s utterly depressing, our climate.

Belmullet has had 7.9hours of sun so far this July but 5.6 hours were on Saturday.

In other words 7.9 hours out of over 80 available in 5 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Hairypoppins

Good lord !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Dazler97

I also noticed here in Carrick its mostly the evenings we get blue like why can't it be in the afternoon, i know the weather has definitely affected my mood big time

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Ozvaldo

Indeed I am take it from me the weather in cork city was awful yesterday dark and cloudy very windy the sun popped out sporadically 5 mins at a time before disappearing to reveal more cloud

• Advertisement

I'll take my leave of this thread. I think it has taken a fairly sinister and depressing tone around here of late. The discussion seems to reflect less the weather and more people's dark moods and it's not good to spend any time around talk like that.

I think the references to wrist slitting and the very strange rant about the state of the country yesterday was the tipping point. Then those in my area who are determined to take the very worst interpretation of the weather can be tiresome. I just come away from reading the thread not enlightened but feeling a bit heavier.

I've been following this thread for about 12 years and, with a few honourable exceptions, there has never been fewer good posters who actually post regularly about weather conditions and interpret models and data. It's slowly gone downhill, much like the rest of Boards.

Anyway, I hope the weather picks up!

**Just realised I'm hanging around here 12 and not 15 years as stated.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Advertisement