Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭JD. 60

Patrick Fitzgerald is a class act. We need a few more of his calibre to reach the holy grail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

I wouldn’t get too carried away yet . He was fairly quiet with the 20s this year by his own standards.give him time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭thesultan

How long until someone comes after David Frank's?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭seananigans

he was 2 years younger than a lot of the bigger palyers and got pushed around, he looked a monster at minor and a mouse at u20, he still need 2 or 3 years to fill out but whatever it is he has it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭thesultan

As in train an intercounty dream?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭decies

Good luck to King Henry tomorrow anything to avoid the nightmare of Kilkenny v Man City in the Final .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Wonder is there anything to be read into yourselves and Clare both having a year that nose dived sharply after putting it up to Limerick or purely a coincidence?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,027 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

being honest , waterford the gel is not sticking , great players a really good manager fantastic club team representing the county and all ireland champions , but politics is an issue

in clare , we have been flat since the munster final , but the munster seemed to be the aim in clare with lohan , key injuries are more of a factor though

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

I think that's an interesting question. I'm not sure why it would be the case though. For me Waterford looked totally devoid of any energy against Cork. Clare on the other hand played to their weaknesses with brainless long ball which was either meant to go over the bar or into their inside forwards, but it was very hard to tell which. But as you point out, both put in their best performance against Limerick and then performed much worse after it.

• Advertisement

It’s all about timing.

Kilkenny can get through Leinster in second gear even losing twice in the process

Clare went after Munster and ran out of gas, Waterford went after the league but had timing wrong in terms of preparation for Munster

Kieran Kingston not going forward for new term as Cork manager. Been involved with senior hurling side for eight seasons since 2012, across 3 different spells as selector, coach and manager.

Less of the ‘king’ shite. We live in a republic…😡 Henry’s should be left with the royals and Just to clarify I don’t mean ‘Meath’

Would Kingston be worth a try if Cahill goes…?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,319 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Doubt he'd take the job

After today Liam Cahill will have more All Ireland underage winners to choose from when/if he gets the Tipp gig in a few years

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Wouldn't think too many would rate Kingston, he's had two bites of the cherry with Cork and hard to say he achieved a whole lot with them in either stint. As PTH said above anyway, doubt he'd be interested if it did become available anyway.

Cork have appointed Pat Ryan straight away so looks like Kingston was pushed and given the chance to leave with grace.

Remember Ryan was all but offered the Waterford job before Pauric Fanning but pulled out in the last minute due to health issues at the time. Waterfords loss could prove to be corks gain in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Yeah will be interesting to see how Ryan does with Cork given he could very well have ended up Waterford manager at the time. He came with a good reputation and good record with underage sides. Wasn't there rumours at the time part of the reason he may not have been too interested was having to look after fundraising and a few other things?

Was just having a read through some of the posts over on the Clare thread in light of their nightmare the weekend against KK. The below post stood out as sounding very familiar on our end! You could literally replace "Croke Park" with "Cusack Park", "...starting Paudi Fitz" with "...starting Paudie Mahony", "Kelly on frees" with "Curran/Bennett on frees", "...the team we saw in Thurles in the Munster final" with "...the team we saw in Thurles in the League final", "The Clare team yesterday..." with "The Waterford team yesterday..." and the last paragraph replace Munster and AI (semi) final with "League title".

Mad how things can come crashing down after one or two games despite what went before and we're well able to relate to exactly what the Clare lads are going through right now.

Soul destroying day in Croke Park yesterday. Infairness one could write a book about everything that went wrong yesterday; the frees, wides, starting Paidi Fitz, Kelly on frees, etc, etc. It was a complete capitulation.

The only point I’ll make regarding the performance is that I don’t think we can appreciate how the past 4 weeks took an awful toll on the players. The team we saw in Thurles in the Munster final, was a ravenous, energetic, physical, hardworking team that gave the best team of this generation a great game. The Clare team yesterday was unrecognisable, everything they did yesterday was laboured and they looked like a team that was both mentally and physically shot, running on empty. They also looked completely unprepared for their opponent.....

Before the weekend I would have said that this had already been a good year for Clare. Getting to both a Munster and All Ireland final. But yesterday has really just dampened everything. It’s a tough one to take.

Are we going to have any official statement from Liam Cahill or the county board or is it just the case of carry on regardless ? I didn’t expect any different but in one sense I’d like some sort of closure on the season one way or another. It’s like nothing ever happened and I’d like to maximise the possibility that the same thing won’t happen next season !!

• Advertisement

cahill only got a one year term extension and that is officially up now, so he has to be ratified in for another year. the players and Liam and beavens are keen to give it another go from what I hear and have let the co board know but the co board haven’t given any indication of what they want to do yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭usernamethatsnotinuse

If there’s problems between players and management, someone needs to be cleared out. Ticking time bomb

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Was at both semi finals at the weekend and there was a piece about the semis since 2000 in the programme. Waterford have been in 13 semi finals with one replay. 3 wins out of that total and 4 lost by one score.

If you include 1998, that's 14 semi finals in 25 years and if you'd have said that in 1998, you'd have been put in the mad house. Strange to think how much we've under achieved and not won one despite the past 25 years.

Was it only 5 times that whoever beat us actually went on too win the final ?? Kilkenny ,Tipperary and Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

By all reports Kingston was offered an extension and players wanted him to stay too. I know he's self employed so possibly a factor, also his son been on the panel might be a tricky situation although i think he was harsh on him on a few occasions. I'd imagine they knew last week and obviously had Ryan in mind after managing the 2 u20 all Ireland wins.

It was a very quick turnaround to appoint him. Kingston only left last Saturday evening

I'd say the Cork county board could of agreed terms with Pat Ryan a while ago

Definitely wouldn't see something that fast in Waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

When we look back on things in, say, November, will we say Waterford had a better year than Clare. For all the acclaim they got they won nothing.

A bit like us over the past couple of years

Clare fans would be quick to point out the beating they dished out to the ‘league champions’ in cusack park…!

Derek McGrath been linked with the Dublin job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Alf Tupper

McGrath doesn't have the b*lls or wherewithal to take on any other inter county senior side. He is incapable of managing mature adults.

Advertisement