Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silent electric cars... wasn't there a mandate that they must produce sound?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,493 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I thought they all did.

Mine does but you can switch it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,500 ✭✭✭✭ted1

There is but mine doesn’t I guess the chip shortage removed it

With our roads???? I find the noise of the tyres is what I hear most often. There is a nice smooth new stretch close by though that I'd maybe not hear one on though. Now you mention it though I can't recall the last time I actually heard one make it's required noise so yeah people are likely switching that off, that probably shouldn't be a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,493 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It goes off anyway above a certain speed, 15mph I think?

Once at that speed the logic is that the car will produce natural noise from actually rolling on the road. And they do. Evs aren't silent when they are driving past at 50kmh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,732 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Would have thought they would make noise at any speed. A car doesn't need to be going fast to knock you down.

Perhaps they are more audible on a perfectly calm day, but in a busy environment or along the coast you often hear the wind long before you hear one of these cars bearing down on you, whereas a gas-chugger can be heard well in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,379 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Unclear to me from link ... were they mandatory in new vehicles from mid 2019 or 2021?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

It really has been an age since I've heard Kit from Knight Rider behind me now I'm proper thinking about it. Fella a few doors down has an ID4 I must ask him about it next I get chatting to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

60% of car noise come from tyres anyway up to quite a high speed, saw that somewhere last week.

electric vehicles are no more difficult to hear than ICE in my experiences.

Bizarre, if they are no more difficult to hear it's strange the EU introduced legislation

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,406 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

at very low speeds, e.g. car parks, they'd be noticeably quieter than ICE cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

My bikes make loadsa noise. It's really annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭v10

Yes, but it's only at slow speeds (after-which tyre noise is the more prominent), something like 20km/h and only on cars produced after July 2019 I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

I had no major issues till recently.

Got a fierce fright off one of the newer Hyundai's lately. I wasn't expecting anything and dumbo at the wheel gave me about 4 inches of space as he shot past. The early adopters were generally good drivers, had great experiences with Tesla and Leaf drivers, the masses have them now though

Boss has an Audi coupe EV, tyre noise is huge off it, then again the tyres are pretty big.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭JMcL

Got a fierce fright off one of the newer Hyundai's lately.

Same here. It was pulling up to park in the street the other day when I was getting something from my car. Damn thing was right beside me and I hadn't heard a thing. Not accusing the driver of anything untoward - they were giving me as much space as any other car parking would have - just that if I'd stepped back I would have been closer for comfort that I'd have liked, but was oblivious to its presence in a way I wouldn't be with an ICE.

As regards whether they should be making sound, then yes they should. The EU mandated it from 1/7/2019 https://eur-lex.europa.eu/eli/reg_del/2017/1576/oj Now mandated in an EU directive and passed into law by our great and good may well be two entirely different things, though it looks like those fervid Europeans over in Albion managed it: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/eur/2017/1576

ah but sure, if ya weren't aware of it isn't that the cyclists fault for not constantly looking?

🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I hear the chord that sounds a bit like a 90s computer switching on around Dublin 4 a lot, where there are plenty of electric cars. It's quite a pleasant sound, which is why I started making note of it.

At higher speeds they make plenty of tyre noise, in my experience, but I don't cycle in a wide range of scenarios.

Advertisement