Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Incessant animal noise

Options
  • 06-07-2022 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭

There's a non stop noise started up lately

It's just stop start at night with a very shrill sound

It's loud and it would give you headache any ideas seems to be an animal or bird cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Non stop or start stop you'll have to make up your mind .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Could be newly weds near hand, now that it's official & all

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

I posted on the farming forum cos I have no idea

You'd have to close the window to keep the noise out

I don't notice it daytime but it's like a distant alarm at nite but it's an animal noise

Best way I can think to describe it it's like a whistle every few seconds

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭tanko

Have you ever heard a fox calling, might be that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,590 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

It's the banshee calling you home to your eternal rest..😄

Google - Long Eared Owl.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

Probably not a fox as it wouldn't go on all night.

Say my name is right I'd say - a young owl. They can go on all night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭minerleague

Farmer near me has a device that screeches like a bird of prey to scare away crows from cattle being fed in shed.

I don't hear it during the day but it starts at night

It's very loud shrill sound every few seconds you'd have to close the windows to sleep with it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭MfMan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

@kirk. - any chance of a recording of it? I think you can get apps that can record sporadic bursts of noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Packrat

Sika Deer?

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I would say its a brood of recently fledged Long Eared Owls - my sister in Oughterard on the shores of Lough Corrib has them on their place at this time every year for a few weeks. They will be gone by the end of the month. On the broader subject its sad that summer nights are now so quiet in terms of nature sounds compared to 50 years ago when you would have been serenaded by Corncrakes, Quail, Crickets etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

most likely a long eared owl chick...they start calling at dusk and go on all night...it's to remind the parents to come feed them. look up youtube and you'll hear the sound. some describe it as a squeaky gate.

we had 3 chicks calling for a couple of months last summer...i heard one just last week but it sounded weak and now it's gone so i think it must have died

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

Similar to that I'll try record it

Now that I got the owl figured out

There another bird chirping incessantly in the morning what would that be it's real loud

It's non stop with short break not like the owl which is on off

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

F

Post edited by fits on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

What is the end result you want out of this?

Do you want someone to shoot the wildlife to shut them up or what?

You must have be very sensitive if a chirping bird and a baby out are causing you such annoyance.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

I just want to know the names and I don't want to kill them

• Registered Users Posts: 10,810 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

You need a surface to air missile.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Ljmscooter

Check the battery in your smoke detector

• Registered Users Posts: 22,329 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Do owlets call during the day. I just got back to the yard and I could clearly hear a bird calling. It sounded like the long eared owl but longer. It was coming from a wooded area beside the lake that we have fenced off to stop the cattle getting into it as it’s boggy and dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Yeah - sounds like a brood of Long-Eared owls alright. Do they call during the night too cos broods of Sparrowhawks can be noisy this time of year too??(just to rule the latter out).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I wonder could it be a young buzzard cause I heard it again today at about 10am and I haven't heard that same cry at night. There was three buzzards in the air been very vocal - two were twirling very high up and the other one slightly lower. It was difficulty to see them against the sun but they were easy to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭lucalux

Long eared owlets in my experience call dusk to dawn except when branching and fledging, then pretty silent I've found.

The squeaky gate/wheezy sound description is what helped me figure out what it was years ago when I first had them very close to my bedroom window. Wasn't so annoyed about being kept awake then!

A buzzard's nest near me, the young call all day, much more of a screechy call and not like the mew of the adult buzzard.

I could be wrong, there could be a sparrowhawk nest nearby as well, I'm just assuming the screechy noise is coming from the young buzzards!

• Advertisement
Advertisement