Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick GAA Discussion Part 2

Options

Comments

I really want you to be right, obviously. Maybe we will have a big performance today but we've haven't had one all year, imo, apart from a now dubious Munster final.

Anyhow, we'll be wiser (to some degree) this evening...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Limerick have won 3 of the last 4 all Irelands, got caught cold by Kilkenny in 2019, but over the last few years have been head & shoulders above everyone else. Since the 2018 final, Galway have been also rans, were atrocious last year and not much better this year. I can't see how any Limerick supporter would be worried about facing Galway, it would be an absolutely massive upset if we beat Limerick. Galway are still living off 2017, but, are miles away from that team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

That was a tough watch, we made hard work of it

Mike caseys distribution is terrible, gave away 4 or 5 points directly and nowhere for goal

Our best team is with Dan at 3 Hayes 7 and CON at 11

Darragh must be under pressure for his place

Wrong 2 subs came on today, boylan and reidy have been performing great and should have been on sooner comprehensively beaten in the middle

Need to pick the right team to win the final

• Registered Users Posts: 9,794 ✭✭✭billyhead

Great test today. it's exactly what was needed and we showed our resilience and collective spirit. Casey and Lynch will start the next day. I would move Hayes to half back and either start Dan Morrissey in full back and drop Casey or drop Morrissey.

You should have more faith in your team. I expected them to show up big time and they did. Super game today, not sure of its overall quality but it was a seriously impressive effort from both sides. Galway didn't score from the 66 to the 75 minute but had a few very costly wides in those 9 minutes, nothing much between the sides.

Lynch has to start the final, did he set up 2 of Reidy's points (was in the hill so couldn't be sure) but no idea where you change to start him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Mike Casey can't start the final. His distribution was shocking. He gave away so much ball and he has a poor tendency of always going forward when there's an easy pass out the back door. He was awful for the goal. He's done great to get fit but fir me Morrissey is way better at 3. Get Kyle back on the wing back because Kilkenny will target that wingback slot. The midfield was well beaten today. DoD only has the bare 50mins in his legs.

I have to praise Reidy because I'm usually his biggest critic. He was the difference . 3 important shots but id still keep him as a sub. There was no goal threat today..zero. thats a real concern

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 25,728 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Teams not scoring or barely scoring in the last 10 seems to be common against Limerick. Kilkenny will need to pace themselves in the final and not be gassed after 60/65

Can't see Mike Casey being dropped to be honest. He was straight back into the side as soon as he was fit and is, imo, a super player. I'd need to see the distribution issues analysed properly, it's never struck me as an issue with him, and tbh, I didn't notice it today in real time either. I thought, having not watched it back, that Galway seemed to have worked out the edges of our zonal defence though, and were content to take shots from the no-mans-land on the edges of the zones. Be interesting to see how we tighten that up for the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,794 ✭✭✭billyhead

So do you think Hayes goes to the full forward line and Lynch to 11. Lynch has to start the next day. Hayes is better running at the opposition than his back to goal. Likewise Lynch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Lynch midfield and Hayes at 11 or vice versa . Id drop DOD though his distribution was excellent in the first half. His legs aren't great. Mulcahy was ok. Id drop Mike Casey for sure. Kilkenny will target him. He's shocking. He's very very good running out to attack the ball but he loses his man and his distribution....well its terrible.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Advertisement

I honestly have no idea, we discussed it at length in the car on the way home and I'm still no wiser.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭tranquilo

I honestly think putting Dan Morrissey in full back, bringing Hayes back wing back with Lynch in centre forward and Peter Casey in the corner is yer strongest team. The team ye started in the final last year was unplayable that day. Alternatively Lynch could just drop in for DoD midfield and leave Hayes Centre forward. He did well there today and scored a few pints. Had a few running chances too which could often lead to a goal with how strong he is

Only worry would be Peter Casey might not be in great form and Lynch too since they're both just back so could be a bit rusty

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭MfMan

Lynch, if fit, will start. Casey didn't look near fit so won't. Ye won the All-Ireland today. That performance, and you were pushed to the pin of your collar, would and will beat Kilkenny hands-down. We'll take it off you next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Very hard to have any faith in Galway, the team constantly flatters to deceive and can't put 2 good performances back to back, yes, they had their best performance of the year today, but, when the match was there to be won and Limerick were there to be taken, they weren't able to do it. Good performance, but, means nothing going forward, we've seen this countless times in the past, very frustrating team to follow. Hopefully the footballers can do the business next week.

Who're you talking about? Cork? Clare? Waterford? Tipp? Apply the same logic to all of these. Limerick people I know quite rightly feared Galway this year above all others, very rare Galway don't test you out or give you a stern contest. Today was and will be Limerick's closest match of the year, similarly to 2018, 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

nonsense , galway played well but limerick were nowhere near the level of the munster final , kinerrk is a genius by the way ,it was his use of subs not kileys that won today , david reidy espically

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭cosatron

Jesus girly girl will you stop running down your own. Look at where we came from got destroyed by waterford last year, lost our best hurler ever and at times looked like we weren't even going to get a decent manager and they pulled it out of the fire and got henry. This year is reminiscent of donaghue first year, lost gallantly to tipp and we seen how they went in the second year

Also similar to 2020, lost to Limerick by 3 points and followed that up with probably our worst year ever, losing badly to Dublin and trounced by Waterford, take the 2 performances against Limerick in 2020 & this year out of it, I can't think of any other real standout performance from 2019 to this year. 1 all Ireland in over 30 years considering all the talent in that time is a very poor return.

Fair play to Limerick, they've managed to get a great team together and are getting the most out of them, 3 all Irelands in 4 years and a great chance to do 3 in a row. Limerick will need to up their performance from yesterday to beat Kilkenny, I think and hope Limerick will win, but, they need to be very wary of Kilkenny, can never write them off as we've found out many times ourselves.

They weren't let be, but still found a way to win. Galway are a way tougher team to beat than Clare who were exposed as hopeless in defence on Saturday. Look at the quality of scores that Limerick got, and had to get, yesterday under pressure.

• Advertisement

Why would Hayes have to go to the full forward line ?

Ya he might have to wear no. 14 but we play with 4 half and 2 full so Mil just drops out for Lynch

Galway played brilliant yesterday but I think it's too early to suggest the "getting Henry" was a big coup.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭munsterdevil

Colm Lyons of Cork named as referee for the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭C4000

Bad decision. Several much better refs should have been considered ahead of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭High bike

Agreed but hopefully he'll realise he's under the microscope after his performance in Ennis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

John Keenan obviously upset the referees assessors with the Munster final performance, hasn't been seen since.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭munsterdevil

He also has prior with Kilkenny so no one is happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Iecrawfc

hope he leaves the umpires he had in Ennis behind, poor ref, seems fairly unfit aswell, in this day and age no excuse for a ref carrying extra weight. John Keenan obviously being punished for the Munster Final which is unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

The ref bashing commences……..what is wrong with Lyons……no matter who is appointed it’s always seems to be the same commentary….😡😡…..an unenvious and difficult job and there is no way any one of them goes out with a prejudice/grudge or deliberately favours one team over another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭C4000

OK fair enough.....but I'd say that referees, no more than players or managers, can have good or bad performances throughout a season and this should be the basis for awarding them all ireland finals. By all accounts Lyons has been given this game as it was felt he was due one as recognition for having been around for a few years.

His performance in ennis was terrible. While any ref can miss something or make a wrong call, it's a different story to incorrectly implement the rules of the game etc...

It's not even that he's anti limerick or anything, it's more that you couldnt trust him not to do something mad, like sending someone off for no reason, that will impact on the game. Watching the semi final at the weekend, you could trust that Thomas walsh wasn't going to do anything like that for example.....

Advertisement