Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE Radio 1: The Ryan Tubridy Show

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Kildare1976

I love how he tells it us he has and old 07... But won't reveal the model. What a consequence, we know you earn half a million a year Ryan so we it's ok that you drive a Jag, we dont mind or care.

Interesting the effort some "listener" went to to write that email.

Am electric bike... He also has a vespa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

£9 is €12 according to Bryan.

Here Bryan, I'll give you £9,000 FOR €12,000, OK?

Or more in your league I'll take out a loan for £90,000 and you can give me €120,000 in exchange for it - cash - you probably have it lying around the house.

"a delicious match line-up"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭QueensGael

"One of the team here...drives?...a bike"

"delicious tennis match" coming up

"a lovely slide"

"A Smiths fanclub upstairs, complete with t-shirts"

Surely the rest of the day can only get better 🙄🤷‍♀️

"the Battle of the Bulge" - Joe Duffy's still fighting that one.

• Advertisement

"May he rest in peace, that's the truth"...

What an utterly ' bonkers' thing to say

By recent standards that was a very short riffin' section.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭avfc1874

Isn't it funny the way the emails from listeners 🤔, all write their emails the same way tubs speaks, with lots of beautiful, lovely. Fantastic , all of them agree with him and think he's hilarious

Looking for a free hotel stay

Double Woke 7 drives a jaguar. From memory it's a XJ, as per below.

I know he had a Brand Ambassadorial relationship with Jaguar (post his relationship with Lexus) and this was the model of car he was given in 2007. I assume it's the same car. Normally these cars are given free for the duration of the relationship - whether it was gifted to Tubs when that relationship ended (it clearly has, as otherwise he would be driving a new model) or whether he paid the residual balance after a few years to "buy" the car at an enormous discount (given what we know about the man and the NK machine I think I know the answer to this one) is not a question I have a definitive answer to.

Nice "work" if you can get it.

It is exactly what you would expect a then 34 year old (in 2007) to drive though, isn't it?

• Advertisement

It's almost as if they're written by the staff............

🙄

"The keep calm and carry on mantra which became popular in the last decade..."

Sorry, what now?

I love Miriam but he's managed to make this pre recorded interview very boring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭StevenToast

If i saw tubridys jaguar parked up....i would egg the hell out of it....

Maybe let the air out of one of the tyres (not all of the tyres though)

#bekind

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

Guests says our job is to entertain people and make them feel good.... The next words out of his mouth were tell us about the holocaust.....

Surely that could have been better edited, seeing as it's another pre record

You are completely right however it's not the exact same car.

He got rid of it a couple of years ago and got a volvo xc90 hybrid as he fancied himself as a bit of a country squire for 5 minutes.

He felt he'd lost a bit of his identity (the young fogey) so one of his ladies in VW was tasked by NK to get him a Jag again...and with that he now thinks he's an authority on electric cars, hence is defensive take on the subject and those made up emails.

I'm open to correction on this but I don't think he ever got rid of the jag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

He did.

But after a short period of time had his people source another one. Very same model.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭hawley

There he is on top of Pete the builder on the day we went into lock down just before telling the whole country that we should keep away from each other.

That'd him in volvo xc90 hybrid.

A few months later his minions were ordered to get rid of it and find him a Jag like his old one. Our tubs doesn't like change.

@ButtersSuki

On top of Pete the builder😀 must be why he keeps himself so skinny

Another pic for the pointing thread....obnoxious prìck...

What are your favourite TV and radio programmes?

I am an addict of Inspector Morse, the morose and melancholic opera lover who deals with an inordinate amount of bloodshed in Oxford. I bought the complete box set and gorge on it when I want to stop talking. On radio, Liveline lets me know what the real world is talking about (plus my wife produces it so it's good to be informed). Gerry Ryan continues to make me laugh.

Ah....I see.....2004....So he was always a wànker then......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭leath_dub

"Liveline lets me know what the real world is talking about"

Surely he didn't say that with a straight face!

Last book you read?

Mark Little's book The New America, which is an interesting look at what real Americans are thinking as opposed to the cartoon ones on TV. He writes very well, he's a pal of mine and I like what he does -- he makes America very accessible.

Favourite book?

My stock answer is A Clockwork Orange because I love Anthony Burgess' playfulness with the English language. But I also love Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro.

• Advertisement

RYAN TUBRIDY: Pencil sharpeners

It was while working on his book JFK in Irelandin the National Library that broadcaster Ryan Tubridy rediscovered his love of pencils and sharpeners.

“You’re not allowed to use ink in the library, but they have little pots of pencils that are gratis and there’s also a sharpening facility. Bringing your pencils to the sharpener was like taking the car to the petrol pump.”

Tubridy discovered there was another advantage. “You find yourself spending a lot of time going to sharpen your pencil on a sort of study break. It’s like smoking a cigarette or making a cup of tea.”

But having an excuse for a break wasn’t the only good thing about using a pencil and sharpener. “It’s a very lovely thing to sharpen a pencil,” says Tubridy. “Not only are the parings pretty and pleasurable to see, but when you put the newly-sharpened pencil to the page, one tiny scintilla of lead pops off.

“You tap the pencil, then you get writing and then you flow for approximately two or three pages. Then it’s time to assess the lead levels and decide if you’ll go into the sharpening ceremony once more, or will you keep going? As you go on, the writing gets slightly less legible, more out of focus, and it’s now a different pencil. It’s the personality of the pencil, it changes with every sweep across the page.”

Tubridy still uses pencils for Late Late Showbriefing meetings. "It feels good. I like the scratch of it and it feels industrious and old school, which I like."

And he still appreciates the charm of a good pencil sharpener.

“I don’t like the metal ones you got in school – you’d get lead all over your hands. They do have a nice industrial revolution feel, but you can succumb to modernity enough to get a good plastic one, because you’ll get a better sharpening from it.”

"Ha ha ha ha ha!" within 10 seconds.

More BritFM than the BBC.

Tubs trying to vicariously align himself with Paul Rudd, "the nicest man in showbiz".

Tubs met a former teacher of his who told him "you're doing great!".

Humblebrag Number 47,839,013 (this year.

Fake accents and guffaws galore.

• Advertisement

Tubs KINDLY received an invitation to Westlife tomorrow night in the Aviva, he's taking his mother and sisters so at least 4 FREE VIP Tickets.

PUT THIS ON THE FREEBIE LIST PLEASE.

Does the man pay for anything?

Tubs deliciously intrigued by people starting sentences with "I'm not going to lie...."

I'm not going to lie Tubs, you're an incredibly overpaid, talentless, entitled, deluded twat.

Thank God it's over.

These sad storys are to show you that there are people worse off than you,

And that you shouldn't be talking about an over paid riffer working less than an hour a day and hovering up freebies,

• Advertisement

It's really hard to stomach listening to him pretending to empathise with this lady.

He's trying to get an invite to lambay! Pathetic... He was just fishing to see if the time suited him

No one has ever said to him "that's a great question"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Did I hear him mutter "contradictory but beautiful "?

He's so obvious and transparent in his falseness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

His ham fisted grifting should not come as any great shock-he has worked in the Montrosia bubble all his life.

It's all he knows, and his lack of subtlety and balance is therefore no surprise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Let me get this straight:

A man with a vocabulary of about five words, which he regurgitates endlessly in the most ill-fitting contexts, is bothered by people who use repetitive and redundant language?

Another delicious, gorgeous and intriguing lesson in self awareness brought to you by the DLB.

Tubs rig out for Westlife, beige trousers, shirt and tie with jumper over shoulders, groovy,🤔🥱

• Advertisement
Advertisement