Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

He bought 4 Traverslea Close off plans close to the height of the boom for €1.65 million

16 years later, on sale for €1.595 million, slightly below the 2006 price.... despite 16 years of inflation. Not for me but interesting nonetheless, I wonder will it make 1.595 secondhand? Can't see any record of number 3 actually selling on https://www.propertypriceregister.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,468 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Sean, are you planning on posting loads of adverts for houses for sale and then commenting on each one? Another poster used to fill pages with their posts like that and it’s not at all interesting unless you are planning to buy one. It just means they were overpriced to start with and the owner has either realised it, or is dropping to generate a bit of interest. Hardly a sign that a crash is nigh.

Oh, and it hasn’t been 16 yrs of continuous property price inflation since 2006.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

David...

are you planning on posting loads of adverts for houses for sale and then commenting on each one?

no

Hardly a sign that a crash is nigh.

The signs are usually easier to recognize after the fact I believe? I can't state whether it is a sign or not yet.

it hasn’t been 16 yrs of continuous property price inflation since 2006.

Agree.

It has been 16 years of reduced purchasing power of the euro, which is what I implied but am stating explicitly now. Here is a link that may help explain https://www.in2013dollars.com/europe/inflation/2006?amount=100 To clarify further. €1.65m in 2006 is equivalent in purchasing power to about €2.12m today

It just occurred to me the price was interesting when looking at Dun Laoghaire which is not our prime location but a useful reference. I wonder have we peaked or still heading to another peak?

I suspect the peak is in and will be interesting to see the price the property sells for in terms of the wider market. It's nice inside and would surely have solid rental potential but would that cover the cost? Will a family go for it? I guess we'll find out in a few months...

Now David,

Do you plan to question the motivation for each and every comment I post?

Post edited by mcsean2163 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭combat14

Euro falling towards parity pain point (Rte)

The euro has lost 10% compared to the dollar this year and at $1.0238 is close to the psychologically crucial parity point it last saw in mid-2002, when it was just three years old.

However, Nomura said that $0.95 was not that important historically, noting that the euro fell from $1.17 after its creation to $0.82 in October 2002.

Extrapolating backwards using its legacy currencies, the euro traded as weak as $0.6444 in February 1985, they added.

Economists expect the euro area to slip into recession faster than rivals. Nomura expects the euro economy to fall into recession by the third quarter with a total decline in GDP of 1.7%.

difficult decisions ahead for the ECB they need to raise interest rates (substantially) to combat inflation and falling currency but at the same time dont want to aggravate the coming recession or spark another debt crisis in Greece, Spain,Italy,Portugal, Ireland ..

just a sign of serious tight rope walking going on across many global economies ..

make one nervous buying houses at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

No, essentially, as businesses' ability to grant wage increases is depleting by the day with consumption declining while production costs are increasing. "Growth" in the "economic growth" sense, will be lower, inflation will cool as suddenly there will be less of an energy crisis, untangled supply chains, workers needing more hours and raw materials being easier to obtain. This is what happens in a slowdown; house prices obviously don't move as quickly as markets but the drops in markets should be a sign of that something is coming with house prices (as property investment is high risk and highly speculative, as people seem to have forgotten).

We will see a short, sharp "recession" (on paper though we all know that progressively the last few years many of us have gotten poorer due to rising cost of living (not fully captured in the CPI)) followed by a new QE pump under the guise of something like a massive infrastructure development / green transition / build back better project. It will all be well and good having a mortgage but you can't eat your house and having good savings and a stable job will be, as it always is, the determinant as to how you ride out the "recession" / slower growth period.

Likely timeline for "recession" to bite is towards the end of the year and into next year, showing up in data through this time next year, leading to the response measures (ie renewed QE and "build back better" / infrastructure plans) by early 2024. Speculation in assets, including housing, will no longer exist as it has done which will ensure that housing costs do not ultimately climb back to these current, high levels for a long period.

Getting back to more tangible topics on the housing emergency we have in Ireland - the sky is blue apparently! Home ownership rates have collapsed in younger people which will pose severe challenges into their retirement as they will be renting and need State assistance almost certainly to pay this rent.

As I have repeatedly stated, if the Irish housing market does not correct from the global economic factors, almost certainly the house prices of today will be a thing of the past as the electorate vote with their feet - quite simply really; if the majority of voters rent and feel they are paying far too much for their rent, they will vote for anything that might bring down the cost of housing. It really is that simple; while homeowners held the balance of voting power through the last twenty years which manifested in a rising housing market equating to wealth generation, the next twenty years will be a reversal of this trend as a rising housing market equates to an erosion of wealth for those that don't own their home.

The research by the Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI) found that the share of 25-34 year olds who own their own home more than halved between 2004 and 2019, falling from 60 per cent to just 27 per cent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

An example of what quantitative easing achieved. I recall Tottenham hotspur's Daniel Levy getting one of those loans during the pandemic

Happy days the extreme wealthy can make a killing, while we all pick up the tab through inflation

Unlimited money cheat code unlocked.

The banks get free money from the ECB, then give it back to the ECB to earn interest.

Sustainable?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Nice bit of business from the developer here: https://www.irishtimes.com/business/2022/07/02/german-investor-pays-42m-for-malahide-road-apartments/

get the state out of desperation to lock into a 25 year lease (likely inflation linked) and tick a box on the social housing provision which makes it likely to be ESG compliant and bang, flip it to the Germans for a chunk of change. With the state underwriting asset values like this from general taxation and acting as dumb money it's hard to see a fall in prices.

"Without the investor these apartments would not be built".

But also;

"Demand for housing is high so prices won't drop"

Yet somehow this high demand would not lead to any housing being built to be sold to individual buyers - doesn't add up.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

I personally don't see this having any major positive effect on the property market and definitely won't be the game changer the political parties (especially the opposition) make it out to be, more a political soundbite to say they did it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭quokula

Yeah I doubt anyone involved in making policy believes it will achieve much, the government are most likely just doing it so the opposition can't keep using it as a stick to beat them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Timing belt

Where else would you get over a 5% return that is inflation linked and guaranteed for 25 years. Average rent of close to 2k a month

• Administrators Posts: 53,755 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I think you're putting 2 + 2 together here and getting 5.

We are fortunate that we have an incoming Taoiseach that is highly concerned about implementing policy that would see large amounts of spending leaving the country not to mention untaxed....... Oh wait

Every inflation crisis was different, in this situation the amount of money leaving the country was of concern, he said.

Large sums were being “sucked out” to pay for oil and gas and the rise in interest rates also meant that more money was being taken out of the economy, he warned.

Meanwhile, the Central Bank today warns that half of our corporate tax take could be at risk, with a staggering concentration risk involving a mere 10 firms contributing half of all corporate taxes and €1 out of every €8 of taxes contributed.

We have been awash with cash and yet there have been minimal efforts to tidy up public spending the last decade and reallocate this boon towards things like housing (as in getting housing actually built rather than throwing it at existing housing) and infrastructure. The money has been, in my view, criminally wasted by FG and FF, leaving the country in dire straits should the concentration risk materialise to at least some extent. "This time it will be different" is not true as it will be Mary and John Taxpayer who will ultimately be the ones that pay when the slowdown happens and taxes need to be raised while they are told that infrastructure programmes need to be shelved. We really had a great chance the last few years to bed down the growth but alas the gift horse has been looked in the mouth; with a better functioning housing market that gave people a stake in the country enabling the new arrivals of the last few years to settle long term and we might be looking at a different economic state of affairs with less of a concentration risk to our public finances.

This concentration risk is already starting to be realised as we look at the share prices of these big MNCs (certainly in tech) correcting materially and projections for more muted growth now ingrained into their financial statements as well as commentary and some actions around job losses and hiring freezes. At least Charles and Camilla Homeowner have a house value that "recovered" after 2008, as they quite clearly took priority over the young immigrants who came here for work when things picked up.

If you were to pick a spot on the market sentiment graph we see with respect to market cycles, we have moved from euphoria in 2020-2021, to a bit of anxiety end of 2021 into 2022, to definite mutterings of denial starting to feature in commentary among market participants;

• Administrators Posts: 53,755 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Oh look, the graph is back again. Better post the Boards Property Forum version again.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭SmokyMo

Oi remember when people really thought they gonna dictate rules to corpos an their bosses about work hours and locations...

You remember the last decade and the last two years especially completely differently to me, I remember us still coming out of the 2008 financial crash as a pariah on the financial markets, still mass unemployment, still in reality in recession circa 2012 and the last two years being the worst pandemic in 100 years, when exactly did any government get the chance to tidy up the books?

People seem to forget have vastly underfunded all our public sector services were post 2008 once the Troika were calling the shots, when the recovery did come it would have been political suicide not to throw that money at the public sector and you are saying they should have been cutting back!

I know people don't like the current government but lets be honest when the Shinners get in any sort of financial prudence will go out the window as they ramp up borrowing and spending to buy the election after that, they have never made any serious noises about reducing public sector waste or any sort of serious reforms to deliver better value for money to the taxpayer as far as I've heard.

Anybody that thinks SF wont get into bed with every single property developer, REIT and vulture fund offering them "social housing" to prop up their figures at the expense of private buyers is incredibly naive, its the only way they'd have even the slightest chance of delivering all the homes they are promising.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭PommieBast

@iColdFusion

People seem to forget have vastly underfunded all our public sector services were post 2008 once the Troika were calling the shots, when the recovery did come it would have been political suicide not to throw that money at the public sector and you are saying they should have been cutting back!

There's plenty here who are wondering where all that money actually went. Aside from workmen installing cycle lanes and some bus drivers the public sector seemed to have treated Covid as an extended holiday.

As for SF I am tempted to post a cartoon about them I came across a while back, but I know if I do i'll probably get threadbanned..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,502 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,502 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Well there have been a lot of new schools and primary care centers built with a few new courts and prisons, some under public private partnerships but there are still paid for by the government, its easy to ignore these things if you're not a bad criminal with poor health who has 10 kids 😄

Now obviously the HSE is still a giant money pit that I don't think any amount of money can fix but that's another story.

when exactly did any government get the chance to tidy up the books

Listen to the latest Irish times inside business podcast titled "how far will 6.7 billion budget go"

The Big boost in corporation taxes started in 2014/15 when they went from 4.5 to 6.8billion and have steadily increased to 18billion last year.

We are the 2nd largest recepient of corporate taxes in the world.

It just seems incredibly inept that a portion of that tax could not be put aside to ensure there was sufficient housing for the employees helping to generate this income for the state be it, even affordable rents that could further increase revenue generation for the state.

With regard to public services Ireland always ranked amongst the highest in funding for health services but very poor on outcomes despite having one of the youngest populations. The Troika were not here for long enough. While they were here gov were accountable, that ended when they left.

Where we are is by choice!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

You mean lack of choice. There are no parties out there that I would support at all its a case of picking the best of a bad (actually bad is too weak a term) a rotten self interested bunch or not picking at all. Politics needs to change and politicians need to be financially via their pensions held accountable for not following through on promises that got them elected, until that changes nothing will

The economy has boomed since 2015 and even excelled during covid. In what world do you think the economy did poorly in covid? All metrics showed how well we were doing (high savings, low debt, strong GDP, lower insolvencies etc.). This idea that the economy suffered during covid is just wrong and it is worrying that people think that we have even had the economic fallout yet from the pandemic when actually the economy was in suspended animation and only ticked over due to, essentially, unsustainable borrowing. Unsustainable as there are no deep pockets of economic activity to step in and replace the ECB/government, with inflation now unfortunately forcing the government/ECB (like with the Fed) to step back with their deep pockets to effectively cause a slowdown in the economy as there is insufficient economic activity to match what they have injected into the economy the last few years. Another excuse for QE or a (probably short but sharp) "recession" is inevitable - winter is coming.

There is still a massive labour shortage in many areas of the economy ans today we see that the Oireachtas Committee are recommending a tightening of the legislation, particularly around the grounds for employers to refuse with unreasonable refusals being subject to challenge. They are also recommending reducing the time built up in a job before being able to request WFH from 6 months down to 3 months. My personal experience is that WFH will become more, not less, prevalent and the 2/3 days people are generally heading into the office will be 1/2 as things get into a rhythm. Personally, I have colleagues that are strongly considering if the 3 days in the office is worth staying with the company for as some are still commuting up from the countryside and they say that only doing it 1 or 2 days would be much more manageable. Other colleagues, 30s, looking to settle, are resigned not to buying in Dublin so are looking to get down to 1/2 days in the office. My own role is a well paid, high demand area and getting applicants to fill my vacancy was like pulling hen's teeth apparently, it's still very much an employee's market and WFH is a low cost way for companies to keep staff happy.

I don't really get your point, you say the economy did well during covid (some of our big tech companies did but most of it was shutdown) and then say it only did well due unsustainable borrowing by the government to keep it propped up (which IMHO was required) but your original point that I was responding to was that the government hasn't been investing corporation taxes into infrastructure even during covid, they did, into vaccination centers, HSE emergency works, massive overflow bed capacity, ventilators, buying up private bed capacity, money into all the mandatory quarantine system, etc etc.

I don't blame you for not seeing it, most people were safe in their houses following the rules but there was MASSIVE investment into the HSE since covid kicked off, people don't want to remember it but they had to build full isolation wards, Covid A&Es, duplicate maternity wards, etc to keep infected and non infected patients separate for a contagion people didn't fully understand how to stop at the time.

Well it comes down to politics getting in the way of reality, if the government knocked up a 300 bed apartment block in Dublin and allocated it exclusively to migrant tech workers earning over 60k a year at say 1000 euro a month there would political uproar and Joe Duffys phones would be ringing off the hook "My unemployed 21 year old son who left school early and has 3 kids with 3 different women should get that apt for free, ITS A DISGRACE JOE!" completely ignoring the massive tax income windfall 300 new tech workers that we didn't have to pay to educate arriving from abroad would bring to the economy, their income tax, their spending in the local economy, their rent, their companies corporation taxes, MASSIVE gains but political suicide.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,664 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I changed jobs to get to 3/2 hybrid setup. Actually had a 1 day setup in a previous job but hated the job - that was pre-pandemic

Plenty of people will leave if told they have to go back 5 days, and it remains an employees market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭AySeeDoubleYeh

Yeah it's only moving in 1 direction. Holland have just voted to make remote working a legal right, and every day more and more companies are moving from office-first to hybrid and from hybrid to full-time remote.

It was always going to happen, and already had in lots of big multinationals (i've worked hybrid since ~2012) covid just brought everything forward a decade or so.

Advertisement