Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,781 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Size wise storage would be my only concern. If you have room for a bigger machine the work will be easier provided you don't have loads of narrow paths to mow.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Thanks guys.

This review would indicate its less than 80m unfortunately

"If the ‘ride height’ was better, I’m sure it would have tackled these too as it eventually went over them after I tilted the mower back a bit & went over them a few times lowering the front a bit each time.

The fact you cannot adjust the ‘ride height’ high enough on this model is my only gripe with the mower really (hence the 4 stars for features).

My electric Mountfield mower (for the smaller lawns around the barn) has a ‘ride height’ of 80mm so it’s a little odd (& disappointing) that this heavy duty petrol mower has a lower maximum ‘ride height’! Furthermore, I cannot see anybody using the 2 lowest settings - unless they’ve got a bowling green - as the third lowest setting cuts very close to the ground!"

Need a high cut for my place as the grass is coarse in places and a good bit of thatch, despite the regular scarification.

Might take a wander into the shop and see if they have one on display and will bring the measuring tape😃

I cut a lot of very rough grass, verge outside the house I do at notch 4 on my Lidl mower thats 65mm (just measured it) and I only cut it every 3 weeks. If you need 90mm you might actually need a strimmer or even a scythe ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭deezell

222m2 or less is into cordless mower territory, even an inexpensive one would could the entire area in one charge. This Titan at €299 is a budget model, but with a decent 16 inch /41cm cut, and claims a 450m2 on a single charge, which is credible if you're cutting a nice lawn frequently, not trying to harvest a crop of silage like some boys out there.

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/titan-36v-4-0ah-li-ion-txp-brushless-cordless-41cm-rotary-lawn-mower/600pt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭rn

Thoughts on

V

https://www.donedeal.ie/gardenequipment-for-sale/honda-ride-on-lawnmower-sale/28515155

Both on sale 500 in difference. I've about 5000m2 to cut. Currently doing it all with a husqvarna cth171 from 2008. Huqi running well but possibley over worked esp on hilly bit. We alternate between pick up and mulch so this type of ride on best.

• Advertisement

Nothing special in the price of the Honda Monaghan Hire have it at the same price and I suspect having dealt with them in the past you might get a bit more off it https://monaghanhire.com/collections/ride-on-lawnmowers/products/honda-hf-2417-ride-on-mower-brexit-buster-deal

The Honda is a good reliable machine but I can't say anything much about the Stihl as I've no experience with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭rn

Thanks, I guess both dealers are relatively local to me.

Just pop back to 25th April for this very same discussion and comparisons.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭coillsaille

As Deezel said, both models have been compared and discussed a few months back in this thread. I bought the Stihl 5112Z, mainly due to that discussion and Deezel's advice. Have it over a month now and have found no fault with it apart from a niggly issue when putting the grass box back on.

Just to clarify also, the LED display is on the 6112 the 5112 has no dashboard display.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭westsidestory

Cannot delete message on phone....nothing to see here.🙂

Post edited by westsidestory on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

looking for some recommendations for a ride on, budget around the 5k mark ideally under this as i need to get a brush cutter also. Have about 1 acre to cut at the minute this could rise two in the next few years so would ideally like to future proof. Ground is slightly lumpy with a slight slope its been reclaimed from a field.

currently cutting it all with a honda hrx 537hye push mower. since ive never had any issues with the honda push mower that's the first place that ive started to look, Honda HF2417 HME. ideally what should i be looking out for? would places take the hrx as a part trade in?

Thats not a bad machine I have the smaller 2317 which I can recommend. The new 2417 has a new dashboard and Hondas new variable mulching system (how much gets mulched or goes into the grass box is controlled by a lever). I'd want to check how that works before committing to the 2417.

If you are doing slightly bumpy ground then I assume you aren't going for a perfect finish so I'd also consider getting the discharge guard kit which is handy if you want to do a quick cut or if you let the grass get out of control.

I've dealt with these guys (ask for more discount) who do PX but I'd keep your push mower as it will still be needed for doing corners around beds and trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

anyone have a titan mower, have about 246m2 to cut, flat garden in a housing estate, looking at the titan may even get the bigger one if the screwfix 10% offer is still live.

i see a couple of issues saying you cant but a replacement bettery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

ive the same mower and had no issues. I use it without the box and with mulch plug and running great for the last 2+ years. Only issue I had was a snapped timing belt but that was my fault hitting a large rock with the blades. As Coilsaille said, the 5112 has no displays on the dash.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

cheers. have the variable mulching on the push mower, so im used to that assuming its the same concept.

If you get one I'd be interested to hear how it works. I'm not convinced a system that works on a small scale can be scaled up to a larger mower.

It might be that because of the variable mulch system Honda have dropped the discharge guard kit?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,466 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have a small electric mower that really doesn't owe me anything and isn't used much. I went to start it today and it started then stopped within a few seconds. I checked it was properly plugged in and tried again, again few seconds then stopped. Then silence no matter what I did.

Is there anything obvious that I could fiddle with to see if it can be revived? I am totally ignorant of engine workings so it would not want to be anything complicated 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 28,466 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Mains.

Daughter took the cover off and oiled the main shaft/blade mounting, and removed a significant amount of grass from inside the works, she said the vents were blocked. Will try it tomorrow see if it helps. Any other suggestions gratefully received.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Thanks to the help of ECO_Mental who measured the height of his mower, I bought the Mountfield SP53H in Screwfix.

Its at least 80mm as you correctly estimated, it could be 90mm, I will measure when I do the first cut next week.

No idea why Screwfix have it down as 65mm and 5 cutting heights, when its 80-90mm with 6 cutting heights.

Its a fine looking machine for the money 383 euro.

• Advertisement

Stopping within a few seconds doesn't sound like overheating and thermal cutout. Try holding the run lever on and gripping and pushing the mains cable in at the point of entry. It's possible the conductors have cracked internally in the insulation at the flexing point. If the motor kicks on and off, this is it. Before this though, check that the plug fuse isn't blown, as often the arcing from an internal conductor fail will take our the fuse if both live and neutral are split. If its inconclusive, you'll need to pop the cover on the cable entry, which usually contains the power switch also, and do a bit of continuity testing. If there's an internal break, you should be able to shorten and reattach the cable, though it may have a moulded flexing grommet at this point, which is difficult to unseal, and would in theory mean replacing the whole cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,773 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Hi,

I have a small garden, 130 sq m. and looking for cordless electric lawnmower.

Any recommendations please?

Budget = €300.

Thanks

Screwfix have an extra 10% off their range, their budget Titan brand has a 41cm cut with 4ah 36v battery included. https://www.screwfix.ie/p/titan-36v-1-x-4-0ah-li-ion-txp-brushless-cordless-41cm-rotary-lawn-mower/600pt €300 less 10%, €270. They also have a Bosch 37 cm with pair of 36v 2ah batteries included, €380 after the discount.

B&Q have a similar sized McAllister brand for €336. https://www.diy.ie/departments/mac-allister-solo-mlm3637-li-cordless-36v-rotary-lawnmower/5059340239750_BQ.prd

Cordless in this price bracket will all be moulded plastic, so have a look at the build. Voltage multiplied by Ah of the battery gives your the stored charge available, so 36 by 4 is 0.144 Kwh, more than enough to cut a decent garden in one charge.

You'll probably find a selection of these in major hardware stores as well, co-op, Topline etc. Argos also, and of course Woodies. Warranty and returns/replace policy would be key. If it sits down, will you be waiting months for repair or will they just exchange. Topline Doyles in Carlow are big into mowers, as they're part of the Doyles garden machinery group, so good for service and spares. Cordless mowers are a funny category of electrical goods. Big retailers like Harvey's, Power city, Currys seem to avoid them, yet you can buy them online from Littlewoods, along with a packet of boxer shorts.

If you are thinking of making use of the Screwfix 10% discount, the offer has already been extended once and now ends tomorrow (Sunday) 10/07/2022 so you don't have long. It might be extended again but no one knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,520 ✭✭✭jmreire

Any advice on the following? My 2 year old Honda 2417 has up to now only been showing the hour counter after startup. But today, its showing continually the charge rate, which swings erratically between 12.7 v ( normal ) and 14.5 V. ( BTW, it's done 65 Hrs)

Take a look down around the engine and you'll probably find about 3 or 4 (maybe more) bullet connectors. Take them apart one at a time refit them then see what happens. I've had charging issues with other hondas and bad connections in the bullet connectors was the issue.

I had a Viking (M6 series, 50' cutting deck, V engine) very good mower, all mod cons, including large wheel base, which meant for me some every uneven cutting, scalping in the high places, while uncut in the valleys as the ground is very uneven. So eventually I went back to the Honda 2417, 40" deck, much smaller wheel base, and now the lawn is getting a good cut again. I only bought the 50" thinking that it would decrease the cutting time. Its a very good mower, but only for very level manicured lawns, in my view anyway. If your lawn meets these condition's they are a great mower, and I believe that they are manufactured by Stihl.

Thanks The Continental Op, I'll try that. I phoned the supplier, and he said that he's never come across that before, and it sounds like the regulator, and if it is, it will be the first one he's ever fitted in a 2417. (Btw, he and his Family have been in business for generations, and I know him very well, so its not some one who doesn't know his job. ) I've heard that in some air cooled engines, a fluctuating voltage can indicate an over heating issue, and I thought that this may be the case here too, Have you ever experienced this?

I have that Viking 6127, mighty machine. Made by Viking, who were bought out by Stihl, who still make them branded as Stihl now. You'd be right about the scalping on uneven ground, but it's better to cut higher on such ground, you always have a green finish. If any part of your site is flatter and better landcaped you can drop a notch. I do it on the fly, notch 6 over the roots near trees (don't want to lose another timing belt), 5 in general on the humpy areas, and down to 4 near the beds or in the flat centre expanse when swmbo is watching. 5 when she's out of sight 😁.

• Advertisement

Bullet connectors can be a pith, as the pin tension from male to female connector often fails. Nice and tight when you push them together, but you'll find that on some after the indent is passed, the pin side can rotate easily in the socket side, though it won't fall out, leading to intermittent connection. Possibly the cause of swinging charge voltage, assuming the engine is at a static speed. It could be the in line connectors from the regulator, but it can also be the battery terminals, these are more likely to be bad if your battery has lead terminals. This was a constant source of poor connection on a Castelgarden I had with plate steel to lead terminals. Newer mowers use batteries with plate steel or alloy terminals, so battery connection doesn't corrode or form verdigris on the joint. (Verdigrass as the old timers used to call it). If the charge voltage swings while the engine is a constant rev, I'd suspect a poor connection, but the drop to 12.7 sounds like the regulator/rectifier is cutting off charge from the magneto possibly because of internal threshold not being met. If the voltage swings like that at full rev, measured at the output of the regulator, try putting the meter between the regulator output wire and the positive battery terminal, see if you have low voltage jumps which would indicate a poor path between the two. Current/voltage spikes cased by a bad battery connection during operation can punch out a regulator, which I've only ever replaced once on a ride on.

Advertisement