Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moisturiser with SPF

Options
  • 07-07-2022 7:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭

Hi all,

All I ever read about is how we should all be wearing spf. I started using glycolic acid recently so now I'm particularly concerned.

However, I have very fair, sensitive skin and havent really come across any decent moisturisers with spf. I'm assuming I would need at least a factor 30?

If anyone has any recommendations they would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭Be right back

Find this good. Comes in factor 30 too. It's boots brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Emma2019

Thanks a mil. I'll give this a shot!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,256 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

All advice I've read over the years says that your daily moisturiser containing spf isn't really enough.

I use a variety of moisturisers, some expensive, some cheap, some have spf of 15 or 20 - but if I'm out in the daylight for any length of time I use La Roche Posay invisible fluid 50+ - it's light but very effective (I've used it sailing for years and never got burned)

Being pale skinned and working from home I'm almost never in the sun! If I am I definitely put on proper suncream. I quite like P20 for those rare times.

I'm moreso looking for something to throw on during the day to cover me for the brief visit to the back garden to put the clothes out or down to the shops or against whatever is coming in through the windows.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I use both the Good Skin and LRP. LRP is definitely lighter and more easily absorbed than Good Skin, but at nearly half the price (if I recall correctly), I can't fault the Good Skin one! It needs a little more time to be blended and settle but that's no big deal.

Regarding using moisturiser with SPF, I think some of that issue is that you just won't be using enough of the product to get the proposed protection.

Ambre Solaire and LRP do facial mist SPF which are so handy for a top up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I use an Estee Lauder Daywear that has 15SPF all year round.

If it's the actual summer or abroad, I'll add a layer on top.

Simple also has a 30SPF but it feels more like suncream than moisturiser.

Genealogy Forum Mod

So are people putting on moisturiser and then suncream and then primer, makeup etc?

Or skipping moisturiser and just putting on suncream?

I'm very confused 😂

I was about to post the same, almost word for word (except for the sailing bit)

It depends on the Sunscreen you're using, but you should keep 15 minutes between them if possible. From LRP website

SUNSCREEN BEFORE OR AFTER MOISTURISER

An often-searched query is whether to apply sunscreen or moisturiser first. The answer depends on which kind of sunscreen you use, chemical vs. physical. Chemical sunscreens like the Anthelios Invisible Fluid Facial Sunscreen SPF 50+ are made from chemically active ingredients and need to be fully absorbed into skin in order to provide UV protection. So, if you’re using a chemical sunscreen, apply directly after cleansing and exfoliating, and before moisturiser. Physical sunscreens (also known as mineral sunscreen), like the Anthelios XL Anti-Shine Dry Touch Facial Sunscreen SPF 50+ create a barrier between you and UV rays by sitting on top of your skin. So, they need to be applied as the last step in your skincare routine, after moisturiser.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I use serum, then moisturiser then a face sun cream, factor 50. That's what I was advised to do.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I mix my moisturiser and SPF together in the palm of my hand before applying but wondering now if that is the best way to do it!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

My friend is a beautician, and very into skincare. She said to put on serum first, then moisturiser, then spf. She told me to make sure to let each one absorb in for a few minutes before putting on the next one. After I put on SPF I just put on my makeup as normal. I always assumed having an spf in my moisturiser or foundation was enough, but apparently not!

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭marilynrr

You wouldn't be applying enough moisturiser to get the full SPF protection that is stated. I'm not sure how or why beauty companies are even allowed to market things as having SPF or make it a selling point of the product because it is extremely misleading as most people believe they get the SPF they need from the moisturiser. Some people rely on foundation but they'd need a crazy amount of pumps of foundation on their face to get the stated protection.

The other issue is that even if you were getting the protection from it, how long would it last before needing to be reapplied?

I use ultrasun face which is marketed as 'once a day' but that claim is said to be extremely misleading as studies show protection wears off a lot. I don't love the feel of it but it is a good sunscreen.

I've ordered the Cosrx aloe sun cream to try though as it's supposed to feel more like a moisturiser which I'd like for similar reasons as yours, going outside to put the washing out etc.

So I bought the Your Good Skin and if it gets in my eyes it stings as much as my usual Factor 50 which I'm taking to be a good sign. It feels much nicer than regular sun cream though.

I may get the La Roche Posay invisible one when this runs out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

I use Cetaphil pro tinted day cream spf 30, I have pale sensitive skin and its great. Also, I know it works because I got severely burnt all over my body awhile ago, it was so bad I had to go to hospital, the paramedic asked me why my face wasn't burnt and it was because I was wearing this cream so im never without it now.

A friend's dermatologist recommended the cerave moisturising cream with SPF for her face so I'm going to try that one next!

You need at least an SPF 30 OP, at least. It doesn't matter the weather either. It tends to be the last product you apply. Wait about 20 minutes to let it fully absorb before applying makeup. The wait can be a bit of a trial and error.

If you experience pilling then that may be a sign you haven't waited long enough. Also if the cream pills even before makeup that's a sign it isn't being absorbed in to your skin properly.

You need to be applying two finger lengths, so your index an middle. Squeeze it out in a straight line on both those fingers.

I think if you mix your SPF with any other product you can alter the integrity of it but I'm not 100% on that.

Advertisement