Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2022 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭OldRio

This thread is titled 'General discussion'

The coalition between weather and mental health is well documented. At the present time the weather is poor and dissapointing. This is reflected in the posts.

They are plenty of other threads of a more scientific form on this board.

Lovely sunny start in Arklow

Currently 16c ,the begining of (or continuation down this way) of a fantastic period of weather(bar maybe Tuesday in some parts)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

I agree with poster above the most depressing thing about summer is this thread. It hasn’t been sunny but it’s been pretty mild and dry here in Carlow. It’s good to get outside.

Dry this morning, for a change. Dark overcast sky.

Co. Leitrim

Wall to Wall blue sky in Arklow

Just beautiful

• Advertisement

We'll have to agree to disagree. Enjoy Lovely Leitrim and take care.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭ascophyllum

Heavy mist in West Mayo this morning, visibility <300m, day 5 of zero sunshine which is remarkable.

19.4c in Arklow

• Registered Users Posts: 9,403 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Beautiful morning in Galway. The weekend is looking very nice indeed.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭Kutebride

After two very dull days in Meath nice to see a bright morning. In fairness been no rain. Watered the flowers yesterday evening while a pal on her holidays in Mayo said it was miserable and cold and raining 😯.

Roll on the weekends forecast for some sunshine in most areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,645 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

No change in north donegal this morning.

Wet, low grey cloud and light drizzle. Not too uplifting. Looks like another day of it.

As for the negative chat on here, its hard not to, when you see the stats. And if a few folk chatting about the miserable weather makes you miserable, then obviously the weather is affecting you too, maybe more so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,630 ✭✭✭obi604

I’ve been in Portugal for last 3 weeks. The climate is just savage. Every day sun and blue skies.

ive been following this forum and dont want to go home. The weather this summer just seems very bad all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭highdef

Was starting to brighten up in Trim when I left there about 90 minutes ago. Cloudy in east Longford now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Clear blue skies and just hit 20C in south Dublin. Bit of a breeze but its gorgeous out.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

The Sun. Blue skies. At last.

Leitrim

So some Irish people really do like 30+, very interesting. I truly believed they were making it up for whatever reason.

I guess I am warm blooded and need to be out and about - even sunbathing would be completely alien to me. I have never done it and I imagine I never will. I would crack up hiding in the shade too. Ireland's weather actually suits me very well. Give me 18C and dry and I am happy out.

I worked in the mining industry many moons ago and spend extended periods in Australia, Africa and South America (Chile/Arg). I swore I could never live in those climates. Obviously the dry heat is much better than humid heat but I still found 30+ utterly oppressive. It was like a prison at times.

I hope someone left the Atlantic immersion on this week because I am going kayaking and swimming all weekend 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 33,645 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

That's the thing, I am generally happy with dry too. But it hasn't been dry one single day since kids left school.

Wet and drizzly every day.

Not looking for 30c every day, but above 15c would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Lovely sunny morning in south mayo

Yday was poor with a biting wind

• Registered Users Posts: 24,398 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Lovely warm morning in bright sunshine in NCD

• Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭pauldry

Ya like dancinpants I'm sick of all the complaining and I'm the worst culprit. I think yesterday just took the biscuit.

We live in one of the most beautiful countries on the planet. I see pictures of Thailand in mist and other far away places on cloudy days but Ireland is as scenic as any be it wet or dry. I'm going to try n be more positive anymore for one.

Today there is sunshine in many parts and all the days till Tuesday look great and hot in places. Even here. Something to look forward to.

• Advertisement

I didn't feel that June was particularly wet. I recall some heavy rain at the end.

Anyway I checked the data for my nearest station (Athenry) and it was below the Long Term Average (only just!) but much higher than last year.

Athenry Rain June = 79.4mm

Athenry Average = 79.6mm

Sometimes I come across people who complain about the bad weather a lot but when the good weather comes along they do nothing different in terms of activities. Its an odd one.

Embrace the light! 😉

I spent yesterday morning cycling through the Boggeragh mountains north of Cork City. I doubt anyone has heard of them since 6th class Geography, but the place was so calm, beautiful and peaceful. The weather was warm with brief glimpses of sun through light cloud. It was perfect for cycling.

I saw several foxes - and more young ones who have just left the den killed on the roads unfortunately - and what I think was a buzzard, though it may have been another bird of prey.

Had I been sitting at home on my computer looking out at a grey sky, I may have thought the weather was worth complaining about, but when I was out in it, it was beautiful.

We live in one of the most beautiful countries in the world which people all over the world fantasise about. The weather is often poor but not that bad. I think you have to make the most of what you have.

Anyway, I was supposed to have left this thread!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,398 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

clouds are back

but it's warm

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Great day in Greystones. Clear/sunny. 20..4c atm. Sea breeze has kicked in. Was up to 21.9c earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

To be fair SAD is a real condition and a lot of people still haven't left this island since 2019, after a long dark 6 months everyone is craving some warmth and sunshine so to have nothing but 14C, low cloud and drizzle all spring/summer is bound to lead to a lot of depressing posting, I don't think most people are being miserable for the sake of it.

Today is thankfully a bit brighter than the rest of the past week in Donegal, still low cloud and mist but thin enough that you can see the outline of the sun. Hopefully a precursor to some blue skies later

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

We East Coasters also need to go easy on Irish Weather complainers if they are from the West or North Coasts. Yeah I am disappointed in the Summer so far here in Bray but am not complaining...why?.....because while its been dull and breezey, its been mostly mild and dry too. Those poor feckers on the other coasts are having to deal with temperatures several degrees lower, winds several knots higher and a heck of a lot more drizzle and rain on top of everything else. We often forget how lucky we are on the East Coast. Tourists who visit the East are often surprised that the weather wasn't the stereotypical Irish Muck they were expecting....then they come back from their tour of the West and say, "OK, now I understand where the Stereotype of Irish Weather comes from...and its not Dublin and the East Coast!" It truly is a country of two halves.....or even a country of 9/10ths and 1/10ths sometimes!!

I always hark back to the 'Epic' Summer of 2014...

Some of you are saying, "I think you mean 2013 Calibos!!"

However, anyone living within 20 miles of the East Coast which is probably over a million people is saying, "Aye, 2014 was nearly as good as 2013 alright! Two Epic Summers in a row!!"

ie. 2013 was blue skies for months all over the country from East to West and South to North.

2014 was lovely mornings nearly all Summer long for the whole country...and then all but a 20 mile wide strip down the East Coast clouded out by Mid Day with Convective cloud formation, day after day after day IIRC.

This was the Satellite image from about noon onwards most days in Summer 2014 IIRC.

Que, Sryanbruen arriving to tell me I am completely wrong and my memory is faulty or rose-tinted LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Feeling like Spain today (well not that hot to a degree) but alot warmer than yesterday, also for people moaning this is general discussion so we can say what we want

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Lovely day in Galway, sea breeze at the Prom but warm enough for shorts & t shirts. Warmer again inland where there’s no breeze.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Nice sunny breaks here in Killarney, feeling warm and humid by the lakes when the sun got through, things looking up 👍

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,613 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Nope it's on point here :D have great memories of many fine days spent out in the summer of 2014, well before August came and did its usual thing 😏

Advertisement