Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

Oh that's right, we're the ones making excuses. The other posters trying to tell you their own reasoned opinions for why Irish rugby aren't more successful are all just making excuses, it must be that you've hit the nail on the head with that hoary old chestnut, "mental softness".

There is an utterly nonsense contradiction in terms here. Half the posts on this thread are by people claiming Farrell is selecting young guys who are unproven and haven't done anything to deserve their elevation (Harry Byrne, Joe McCarthy, Ryan Baird, etc), and yet you seem to be suggesting the problem now is that we're too conservative and don't give youth a chance?

NB: New Zealand have five Super Rugby teams, but there are 14 teams in the NPC/Mitre 10 Cup, which is also a professional rugby league, developing players for the Super Rugby Franchises and the All Blacks. Can you at least try to get some of these "facts" you're throwing in everyone's face right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Shehal

Except this issue seems to happen who ever the coach is.

The gameplan is improving the issue is the players are soft, the players need to either toughen up or be given their marching orders in he hopes that this sends the message across like for instance Wales & NZL did with their props in 2019.

It varies but at the moment I would say Ryan & Doris, both soft as piss at the moment but seem to be undroppable, Ryan is lucky there is an injury & experience issue in the team otherwise I would be calling for his head, Doris should be dropped and replaced at least with Conan in the starting XV. in the backs Ringrose, Earls. Aki has played well since the tour started and should be rewarded and someone like Larmour who while had issues against the Maori showed his willingness going forward but was handicapped by the players around him in defence which ofcourwe in a typical irish selection the decision was based on that part of his game rather than the potential upside in selecting someone like Larmour. If I am honest its hard to get my head around the selection right now as its the end of the season, ill have a much better idea come the autumn, right now even dropping 1 or 2 under performers would help as it would get the message across.

It does hold up and we appear to being doing little to resolve the issue.

Afew results here or there doesn't change what ive said, we were absolutely appauling in 2019 and got to 1st in the world, that should tell you that this suggestion is nonsense.

And if you look at this England win it papered over a-lot of cracks, we were sleeping walking to a defeat in that game despite having an extra man for nearly 80 minutes and we can count ourselves lucky England ran our of steam. We slept walked in similar fashion against the French and made countless errors that were also made this weekend in Auckland and against England 4 weeks later. Also im sick the notion of running a team close, a defeat is a defeat.

All those in a timeframe of what 7 years? The like of Doris, Kelleher, Henshaw should have been in alot sooner and a guarantee you if France had our squad they would have been. And like ive said there's always afew exceptions to the rule. Right lets just quickly go through how much those 3 have been tested

Joe McCarthy - Maori

Harry Byrne - USA, Argentina (when the game was dead and buried).

Craig Casey - Italy (when the game was dead and buried), USA, Japan (when the game was dead and buried), Argentina (when the game was dead and buried), Italy (when the game was dead and buried), Maroi

Can you please give me a run down as to how exactly these sort of games prepared a player for a RWC KO game? You might aswell just leave them in the URC if this is the best opposition they will face for Ireland, no wonder our youngsters are so ill prepared for test rugby.

And with all due respect, we are the last country that should be suggesting what works at a RWC, in-fact whatever an Irish "expert" says we need for a RWC another country should do the exact opposite.

RWC 2011 - The norm

RWC 2015 - Yes decimated by injuries but ultimately out coached and wrong gameplan because we never had a gameplan once our best players were injured.

RWC 2019 - A nice way of saying we had no gameplan. We were an embarrassment in this game.

They have, thats not the point, they continue to go into RWC unprepared.

No, get our **** together and prepare for a RWC properly, stop with the loser mentality going into a rugby World Cup and go into it leaving no stone unturned.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,359 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

“Ryan is lucky there is an injury & experience issue in the team otherwise I would be calling for his head”

Jesus I’d say he’s glad he’s dodged that bullet, a random guy on the internet calling for his head, I wonder could his career take it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭VayNiice

Do you get much joy out of watching the game so? It's not a loser mentality for fans to just enjoy the game win lose or draw and not over analyse the game.

Believe it or not, what you write on boards.ie is as useful as a chocolate teapot. You can rip into the coaches all you want, it's like a fart in the wind.

Because I'm the only one calling for his head am I?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

About a million posts and Shehal still hasn't actually told us what Farrell should be doing

Well I don't get enjoyment of being a top 4 team in the world and having the expectations of a team that is 8th or 9th in the world. Are you even a rugby fan?

Everything you said there is the definition of an excuse, because we are falling short in so many area's that it really not that difficult to pick holes in an argument. Its all mental softness because if these reasons were true then the likes of Wales wouldn't put us to shame so often at the RWC.

Ofcourse they are unproven because they have never got a chance to prove themselves, how can they prove themselves when they dont play? We'd be saying the same thing about Ntamack in 2019 and Arundell this year if we were in France & England's shoes. We just "test" our young players against meaningless opposition that doesnt actually test them and they learn nothing come the RWC. Who have those 3 players been tested against.

Lol I cant believe someone is using the NPC as a serious defence of that point... just busted you're credibility in point comment, good day.

• Advertisement

Because its not my **** job is it? Ive made it clear what he should be doing if you spend less time being patronising.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

Hahahaha

So it is your job to spend hours ranting and raving on the internet, calling people "losers" and "soft", telling them to "get their sh*t together" and "stop making excuses", because you have no issue doing that.

But your job doesn't extend to being constructive and offering actual solutions to these problems you've so passionately outlined. Brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

The team picked last weekend was probably the best of who was available.

Lets see what the selections will be this weekend.

There is a chance we could see a bit of rotation.

I am indeed, lifetime leinster fan and was involved in club and schools rugby in New Zealand. Is that enough for me to be a rugby fan?

I just enjoy the game for what it is. I've enough in my life to be stressed about without microanalysing why Ireland have lost a few games.

Nope.

Like I just said, if you stop being a patronising little **** you'll see my suggestions in my various comments.

Great, the "few" games Ireland have lost are a trend in losing similar games in terms of level of importance and how little was done to correct the issue. And the scary thing is we are sleep walking into the same issues yet again and we appear to be doing little to correct it.

The best based on what, form or reputation? Important difference.

Also, just spotted the team you posted you’d select for the second test,

But that has hardly any changes in it.

You left Ryan though you posted he was too soft, and you swapped Doris to the bench despite you asserting that he was soft too.

The only other changes were Aki for Ringrose, who you said needs to be dropped to give him a kick in the ass.

Herring for Heffernan, and Baird for Treadwell.

That’s a very small amount of changes, which doesn’t tally with all the stuff you’ve been posting about needing to drop players etc.

Funny enough, that’s pretty much the 23 I’d pick, except maybe I’d bring in Coombes for Doris and Hansen for Lowe.

Your post

”My team

1 Porter

2 Sheehan

3 Furlong

4 Beirne

5 Ryan

6 O'Mahony

7 VDF

8 Conan

9 JGP

10 Sexton

11 Lowe

12 Aki

13 Henshaw

14 Larmour

15 Keenan

16 Herring 17 Healy 18 O'Toole 19 Baird 20 Doris 21 Murray 22 Carbery 23 Ringrose”

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Maybe based on the knowledge we have of these players at this level which isnt much considering we dont exactly tend to tinker much against decent teams then acted surprised at our lack of depth at RWC's...

Its a mixture of what I would do and being realistic. I would drop Ryan but know that wont happen as the only player Farrell would drop him for is out of the tour,

Like I said with a different coach I might give a different side altogether but I dont want to waste my breath thinking he'll make so many left field selections when we know he wont.

I would also love Coombes, I still find it laughable how we cry about physicality and yet leave a behemoth like Coombes out of the 23, he has more than proved himself at this stage to be ready for this level so I dont know what the hold up is.

I did completely forget about Hansen tbh, he is a good alternative to Larmour and probably the wiser selection.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,594 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

i see the hyperbole king is back posting loads of crap again, hi niall.

Sorry to disappoint you but I'm not Niall ;)

To everyone else, sorry for spamming so much yesterday, had a little too much to drink and the rest was history.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

Farrell is completing **** the bed here.

Building depth...pull the other one.

yet again we have undroppables. do we ever **** learn

Irish media and people on here are complete hypocrites. if this was another player or team we'd be clutching our pearls at the farce of the HIA process.

A bad result could go terribly wrong for Farrell as the media will probably talk about Sexton selection with hindsight and roundly criticise him and the IRFU.

What is your reaction to the lack of rotation in the selection?

The only change to the starting team is Earls taking a rest for Hansen, and Hansen has been good recently and Earls did 80 minutes back to back 3 days apart.

The bench was Herring in for Heffernan who is following the RTP Protocols, and Bealham for O'Toole.

I suspect Bealham is the preferred option at the moment so not surprising once he returned from Covid isolation he would slot straight back in. O'Toole is a good prospect though, not knocking him at all.

In my view, the need for continuity and the coach wishing to back the players is justification for not changing much.

I wonder if at half time there were instructions/targets given that the team did follow/accomplish and are thus being given another chance, they drew the second half and were the better team in my opinion for the second half overall. If they can keep that level or close to it for 80 minutes, and barring a few fluky tries or terrible refereeing calls, they have a good chance of pulling off a win.

Interesting that Keith Wood thinks we have an issue with size in the front 5, and that the crowd in Dunedin will be different, less hostile to Ireland, they will cheer whichever team plays well.

Not surprised but I can possibly see the argument, maybe letting the players who let us down last week have a chance to write the wrongs, I don't agree totally as quite a few need a kick up the ass that might only come from being dropped.

Also Hansen has been unavailable for both games, we don't know what would have happened if both were fit, for all we know Hansen would have played last week if it wasn't for Covid, its the right decision in any sense as to beat NZL you need to go for it rather than play it safe even if it means we risk copping a bigger defeat if things go wrong.

Bealham is preferred but I think its also a mistake, I feel one area (which Bernard Jackman highlighted from the France defeat) we struggle with is the selection of our bench, it feels we pick our bench to close out a game rather than bring impact (I feel if NZL had our squad for instance they would play Baird & O'Toole as they would bring more potential to change a game if needed). Bealham is good dont get me wrong but I doubt he's going to change a game if he comes on.

The only conclusion I can see is the XV that played last week is being given a 2nd chance because otherwise there isnt much justification for some of the selections on the back of last week. One thing it has to be said is last week what cost us on the scoreboard were unforced errors and poor communication so its questionable weather completely changing the XV would resolve these issues so maybe in this particular context this selection possibly isnt the worst decision in the world.

I personally think the size argument is a cop out, its an Irish thing to worry about size but in reality if the technique isnt there its the size is irrelevant, the size argument is thrown out there when we lack confidence because a confident Irish side wouldn't care about the size of their opposition like last autumn for instance. The argument about Dunedin is spot on though, not sure about cheering who ever is playing well but Eden Park is notoriously intimidating especially when things arent going well for you, the Wespact stadium and Dunedin stadium dont hold the same fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

I wonder are they setting themselves up for a tired performance in the third Test with the lack of freshening up the side - like what happened in 2006 against the Aussies after two tough games versus NZ.

Maybe Farrell wants to test them and see can they deliver good performances three weekends in a row.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

a complete lack of dog in this Irish side.

Advertisement